Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[DLR] Alchemy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sly
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: [DLR] Alchemy Reply with quote

Some DLR Alchemy questions:

* Say a mad scients has three powers at 20 points each; does 'divide amoung as many potions' mean all 3 x 10 points can be divided among all potions (i.e. all put into one power), or is the dividing only done per power, i.e. 10 points of potions for power 1, 10 points for power 2, etc.

* What happens when a potion is used -- I presume you can make a replacement?

* Does the mad scientist make the roll when the potion is first made, or only when it is consumed?

* If when it is made (as the rules seem to say) and the potion is ruined (failed roll), can the scientist simply make another, given enough time?

* Similarly, given enough time, can the mad scientist keep all potions where they rolled a raise and remake (use up or throw away) any that are a normal success? i.e. given enough downtime would a mad scientist start with a full set of potions all with raise effects?

* How long do potions last -- do you have to make them as part of the in-session time or can you keep them between sessions?

* For a new character, can they start with their full complement of potions already made? Can these be all with raises, or would you make them roll for each and assume they haven't had time time replace/remake those that come up as ruined or not a raise.

* On a related note, how long do devices made with Gadgeteer last -- you can only make one per session, and it can't be recharged, but if it has charges left over at the end of one session can you continue to use it for the next (plus make a new one)?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: [DLR] Alchemy Reply with quote

Sly wrote:
* Say a mad scients has three powers at 20 points each; does 'divide amoung as many potions' mean all 3 x 10 points can be divided among all potions (i.e. all put into one power), or is the dividing only done per power, i.e. 10 points of potions for power 1, 10 points for power 2, etc.

They have half the points per power. Points for one power can't be spent on another.

Sly wrote:
* What happens when a potion is used -- I presume you can make a replacement?

Given a chemistry set, time, and the needed Power Points (they do still need to "recharge" before another potion is made).

Sly wrote:
* Does the mad scientist make the roll when the potion is first made, or only when it is consumed?

As noted in the Edge, "At the end of the brewing process, the alchemist must make a Weird Science roll."

Sly wrote:
* If when it is made (as the rules seem to say) and the potion is ruined (failed roll), can the scientist simply make another, given enough time?

Given the time to recharge and rebrew, they can attempt another roll.

Sly wrote:
* Similarly, given enough time, can the mad scientist keep all potions where they rolled a raise and remake (use up or throw away) any that are a normal success? i.e. given enough downtime would a mad scientist start with a full set of potions all with raise effects?

A mad scientist could attempt to do that, but the conclusion that it would automatically occur "given enough downtime" ignores the potential for a critical failure. The dice have to be rolled and all possible effects considered.

Sly wrote:
* How long do potions last -- do you have to make them as part of the in-session time or can you keep them between sessions?

A potion would last until used or destroyed.

Sly wrote:
* For a new character, can they start with their full complement of potions already made? Can these be all with raises, or would you make them roll for each and assume they haven't had time time replace/remake those that come up as ruined or not a raise.

"Officially," it would be up to the Marshal, though again, as noted above, I would say the dice have to rolled. It is after all much easier to use a potion than to make one, so presuming time has been spent to perfect potions but not use them is a bit of a stretch. Plus, Bennies only exist during actual play, so critical failures would be even more likely (even a scientist with a d10 skill has better than an 8% chance of a critical failure just making five potions).

I think letting the player roll to see what they have available when the game starts is reasonable.

Sly wrote:
* On a related note, how long do devices made with Gadgeteer last -- you can only make one per session, and it can't be recharged, but if it has charges left over at the end of one session can you continue to use it for the next (plus make a new one)?

One jury-rigged device per session. If the character wants to carry a device over to the next session, they would have to use the Edge again to "duplicate" that device (which would effectively "recharge" it).

Hope that helps.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: