Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cool Kickstarter I just HAD to share

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Cool Kickstarter I just HAD to share Reply with quote

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/heroforge/customizable-3d-printed-tabletop-miniatures

Customizable 3d printed minis. Smile Just what we've all wanted Very Happy
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of services that will take in .obj files and create products from them. Shapeways, Thingiverse, Sculteo, etc... Plenty of programs to make and share the digital models like Zbrush, 3D Studio Max, Maya, Lightwave, Blender. For the slightly less artistic there is Poser or DAZ Studio that has plenty of people that make creatures and accessories (clothing, weapons, hair, etc...) and easy to pose with the built-in skeleton system.

Compare this pricing vs what is charged for the Bones series. Those come in around $1.50@ vs the $20-$30@ for these. That's about the same price as what is charged for the higher detailed WHF and WH40K figures (think they are the commanders for an army, but not sure as I don't play). So, while interesting, this is very expensive.

Savage Worlds Tales: http://www.daemonstorm.com/category/Categories/Role-playing/Savage-Worlds
The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be willing to spend 20-30 bucks to get a mini exactly how I want it. Heck, I've paid more for individual minis that I liked. It would have to be one I ended up using quite a bit, though.
robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryonic wrote:
There are a number of services that will take in .obj files and create products from them. Shapeways, Thingiverse, Sculteo, etc... Plenty of programs to make and share the digital models like Zbrush, 3D Studio Max, Maya, Lightwave, Blender. For the slightly less artistic there is Poser or DAZ Studio that has plenty of people that make creatures and accessories (clothing, weapons, hair, etc...) and easy to pose with the built-in skeleton system.

Compare this pricing vs what is charged for the Bones series. Those come in around $1.50@ vs the $20-$30@ for these. That's about the same price as what is charged for the higher detailed WHF and WH40K figures (think they are the commanders for an army, but not sure as I don't play). So, while interesting, this is very expensive.

Personally, not excited about the price. (in fact, had missed that when I posted.)

However, what's exciting about this kickstarter is the fact that this is a signpost for things to come.

Ideally, a simple, easy to use interface that lets you quickly and easily swap out components, then print.

While thingverse and shapeways have tons of sculpts (though for minis I don't know), its the difference between having to pick out the "best fit" Bones model, or building a model out of an insanely large sprue.
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was that there are already services that will print a mini for you if you build it.

Savage Worlds Tales: http://www.daemonstorm.com/category/Categories/Role-playing/Savage-Worlds
chugosh
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, yes!
I have it pinned to remind me close to the end in case I have anything to throw at it.
I sort of already spent my KS money on doublesix dice. I'm getting at least three dozen of these dice, and I shall only need one for the wild die, since I can find neither my Smiling Jack's dice nor my TGTT dice.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've apparently unlocked some additional genres.
Specifically, Sci-Fi elements are now included, and if they hit $200k then they'll add Western elements and characters. In between is a bunch of magical effects to surround or arc over your character.
Hero Forge
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys! Joshua Bennett here--one of the founders of Hero Forge. Neat to stumble upon a thread already going! Good to get some unfiltered thoughts. Smile
The One
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to back this, there's definite potential in this type of site as well beyond the ability to get miniatures out at the end too. Imagine if they offer an option to colour your miniature in on the software, then you can get a character portrait alongside the physical mini.
Hero Forge
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The One wrote:
Decided to back this, there's definite potential in this type of site as well beyond the ability to get miniatures out at the end too. Imagine if they offer an option to colour your miniature in on the software, then you can get a character portrait alongside the physical mini.

Yes indeed. If you check out the page now, you'll see we're already aiming to offer character portrait export as a feature! Just for now, it'll be black and white... But we hope for color 3D printing some day soon!
The One
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The energy is dying down a little, but it looks at least like the Kickstarter is on track for Samurai style add-ons, to go with the Western outfits, meaning plenty of options for Deadlands.

Unfortunately no sign of Steampunk on the horizon but here's hoping that once it's launched towards the end of the year, they'll be looking to add as many genres and pieces as possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: