Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Showdown Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Showdown
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaseyVa
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Showdown Questions Reply with quote

Hey guys!

I used to play a ton of SW back when it first came out. I had a group and we played Rippers quite a bit and had a lot of fun. I'm now getting back into SW for roleplaying and am painting a ton for Rippers.

One of the things I'm looking to do is to start updating the Rippers units to the new version of Showdown. I have a few questions about Showdown. A lot of these were questions I had with the original version but we just house ruled them back in the day and I'm curious to get a better answer.

1) What does it mean to have a unit with a Held action to go normally later in the round? If I have a unit on hold with a King of Spades, for instance, can I choose to go after a Queen of Hearts but before the Jack of Clubs card and interrupt someone's unit activation without needing to make an interrupt attempt? What happens if I have a unit with a held action and my opponent has a unit with a held action and we both want to go as normal? Do we make an Agility roll off or do we go with who had the higher card originally?

2) If I interrupt an action can someone try to interrupt the action I take as an interrupt action? Would you then work backwards for who goes when?

3) When a unit is activated do I move and make an attack with a model before going to the next model in the unit? Or, do I move with all the models and then resolve their attacks?

4) Can you make an attack first and then move?

5) How do instances of two units acting simultaneously actually work? If I'm in base to base with a model and wish to make an attack and they wish to disengage do I get to make an attack or do they get away first? If I do get to make an attack do I then get to make a free attack for the opposing model's leaving combat?

I apologize for all the questions. I really like the system and it is really intuitive in a lot of ways. I would just appreciate some clarification on how some of the mechanics work. I like a rigid order of operations.

Thanks a lot!
Casey
CynicalMisfit
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In no way is this an official answer but I think I can help. I'm looking this up via SW Deluxe and Showdown may rule on this differently, as always ymmv.

Savage Worlds Deluxe page 65 " Initiative-Hold>Interrupting Actions":

"If a character on hold wants to interrupt an action (including a rival who was also on hold), he and the opponent make opposed Agility rolls. Whoever rolls highest goes first. In rare cases of a tie, the actions are simultaneous."

So gleaning what I can from that:

1) Only those with a card NOT on hold go normally, those with a held card interrupt initiative by making an opposed agility check and then go normally as if they had a non-hold card.

2) Yes you can interrupt an interrupt, you just need to make another Agility roll with the new character attempting to interrupt you.

3) I think this part is personal preference. I personally would move the entire unit before attempting any actions. I can see the good and the bad in both methods.

4) I believe so yes, as the rules state that your basic move is considered a "Free Action". Just be careful moving out of melee as I think that allows your opponent a free attack.

5) leading in to your next question, I think that regardless of the initiative if you or your opponents unit leaves combat you get a free attack on them. The simultaneous part I would be very fuzzy on and quickly run to Clint for an answer.
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Showdown Questions Reply with quote

Just to be clear, I may be a Pinnacle guy, but I'm not one of the official rulesy ones. They might say I'm crazy whenever they drop by.

CaseyVa wrote:
1) What does it mean to have a unit with a Held action to go normally later in the round? If I have a unit on hold with a King of Spades, for instance, can I choose to go after a Queen of Hearts but before the Jack of Clubs card and interrupt someone's unit activation without needing to make an interrupt attempt? What happens if I have a unit with a held action and my opponent has a unit with a held action and we both want to go as normal? Do we make an Agility roll off or do we go with who had the higher card originally?

A unit On Hold can pretty much act at any later point. If you want to say you've got the "Jack and a half" of Spades and go after the Queens but before the Jacks, that's fine. That's just taking your turn.

Interrupting someone is a different matter. That's finding out what they're up to and trying to stop it or get in the way. It's sort of a proactive reaction. Then you need to make the opposed Agility checks. If you (the On Hold party) win, you get to interrupt their action. If you don't, you don't.

CaseyVa wrote:
2) If I interrupt an action can someone try to interrupt the action I take as an interrupt action? Would you then work backwards for who goes when?

Yes, that would daisy-chain back into an interruption cascade if everyone at the table is sitting around On Hold.

CaseyVa wrote:
3) When a unit is activated do I move and make an attack with a model before going to the next model in the unit? Or, do I move with all the models and then resolve their attacks?

It's your choice. All the figures in a unit have to take their turns at the same time, but the order in which a given turn is conducted is entirely at the turn-takers discretion.

CaseyVa wrote:
4) Can you make an attack first and then move?

Yep.

CaseyVa wrote:
5) How do instances of two units acting simultaneously actually work? If I'm in base to base with a model and wish to make an attack and they wish to disengage do I get to make an attack or do they get away first? If I do get to make an attack do I then get to make a free attack for the opposing model's leaving combat?

I don't believe there is such a thing as "simultaneously." If I attack someone and they want to run away, tough cookies. If they were On Hold and interrupted my action, they get to run away (and I believe there's a free attack if they actually let me get into contact before interrupting me to run away, but not if they go "look what's clearly coming" and head out before I get to 'em). If there were On Hold but do not successfully interrupt me, we're back to "tough cookies."
CaseyVa
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses!

1) Just to be clear, if you have a unit on Hold it can elect to go before another unit would normally activate on its card.

If two units that were on Hold wanted to both act before another unit was to be activated how would you determine who has priority?

2) Makes sense! Thanks!

A second question is: you interrupt an action to take your own but does this mean you get to make a Movement and then an Action on that interrupt or just an Action (meaning Attack, Taunt, etc)? If you fail the interrupt attempt and go second as a reaction is it after they make a Movement, if you tried to interrupt that, or their Movement and Action? Meaning, do they get to resolve all of their normal actions for that activation before you get to react?

3) That sounds a little loose but I can totally accept it. I guess I'm used to other games that have more structure and rules in terms of model / unit actions.

4) Great!

5) There are two times when units act simultaneously: when both are given Jokers and when one tries to interrupt another and their opposed Agility rolls are equal.

I apologize for the questions. I've been painting my Rippers figures like crazy and just want to make sure I have the rules down before we start playing this week!
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaseyVa wrote:
1) Just to be clear, if you have a unit on Hold it can elect to go before another unit would normally activate on its card. If two units that were on Hold wanted to both act before another unit was to be activated how would you determine who has priority?

Units on Hold get to go whenever during the round that they want to. If they're trying to go after another unit has started their turn but before they have finished then an opposed Agility roll is used to determine if they get to interrupt.
If two separate units are on Hold and both want to go right now then they either determine a order or one of them Interrupts the other.
Regardless, any attempt to Interrupt means that you must take your turn immediately (either interrupting, or immediately after the unit you failed to interrupt).

CaseyVa wrote:
2) A second question is: you interrupt an action to take your own but does this mean you get to make a Movement and then an Action on that interrupt or just an Action (meaning Attack, Taunt, etc)? If you fail the interrupt attempt and go second as a reaction is it after they make a Movement, if you tried to interrupt that, or their Movement and Action? Meaning, do they get to resolve all of their normal actions for that activation before you get to react?

When you Interrupt you get to take your entire turn right then.
If you failed to interrupt then your foe gets to finish his entire turn before you get to act.

CaseyVa wrote:
5) There are two times when units act simultaneously: when both are given Jokers and when one tries to interrupt another and their opposed Agility rolls are equal.

Half correct.
Jokers: Jokers get to go whenever they want, automatically interrupting anyone without a Joker - sometimes going first is not the best time to act. If two units have Jokers and one is trying to interrupt the other then they roll Agility as normal.

Simultaneous is exactly that. It's all going on at exactly the same time. You're attacking him while he's running away (which is letting you attack him again) and you're chasing him down to stay in base and he's counter-attacking. You'll get some crazy stories out of those rare events.

If you do want to avoid the Simultaneous then simply reroll the Agility test until there is a winner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Showdown All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: