Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[HoE] Studio 2 Kickstarter Minis Arrived!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: [HoE] Studio 2 Kickstarter Minis Arrived! Reply with quote

My miniatures from the "Deadlands: Hell on Earth" Kickstarter arrived!

Somewhat surprisingly, the figures come with SQUARE 25mm slotted bases, rather than rounds. I was expecting that, like the Reaper Savage Worlds miniatures line, we'd see them on 30mm lipped bases, but considering that I was planning on re-basing them anyway, it's no big deal for me either way. However, now that I see the squares, I find myself with a minor conundrum. I was planning on re-basing these figures on War Cast Studios "industrial" 25mm round resin bases, and painting them up with rusty effects, inspired by:

I figured that would convey a nice "post-apocalyptic" feel pretty quickly. I've gone ahead and based the three "Iron Alliance" bonus figures on 25mm resin rounds and applied a smattering of rust and grunge to the bases just to experiment and see what they look like. (Photos of those later. I really need to check my pictures to see which ones turned out and which ones are blurry blobs and in need of being retaken BEFORE I start uploading them.)

One thing I'm experimenting with for a "grungier" look to my figures -- rather than going for bright and colorful -- is that I base-coated the figures in grey, then dry-brushed in lighter grey, and then went over them again with lighter dry-brushing in white. I suppose I could call this a grisaille technique? In any case, it seems to help me when I lay down the base colors, as they immediately have a suggestion of shadows and lighter areas -- whereas if I were to apply base colors first and THEN apply washes or highlight dry-brushing, the wash and dry-brushing would inevitably get out of the intended areas and I'd have to spend even more time on clean-up.

Oh yes, and I finally got my Savage Worlds themed bag:

Aw yeah. This is definitely going with me to Necronomicon this year.

Anyway, I've started basing figures, and I'll post some work-in-progress pictures later. I've also got a few Reaper Bones figures that I'm in the progress of converting over as post-apocalyptic survivors, mutants, monsters, etc.

Now, the hard part is going to be to figure out how to work these in with my older Hell on Earth mini conversions, as there's been a bit of scale creep over time. I need to do some side-by-side comparisons at some point.
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everybody is the same size. Bigger and stronger are valid survival traits hence the larger mini!
You might give some that creep up to a head taller a +1 size modifier.

SteveN
Boldfist
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine arrived yesterday!
GamerDude
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine yesterday and my wife shared the thrill of opening the box with me. I immediately pulled out the case, definitely awesome especially once I get these minis painted. I've used Army Transport since they first came out (tall case, filled with inserts, for $60? mah-veh-lous!).

Minis are nice, every other company I've done direct order from (like as a demonstrator for Kenzer&Co) the minis weren't blistered but in unmarked little zip-lock bags (poor form for those other companies indeed). And I'm a round base man so yes I'll be dropping the square bases for round. Never ever understood square ones.

Next up were the books. I've always been totally "WTFrack" about why go with these big $30 books, why not just straight to those lovely $10 digest (now "explorer") size book. For SWEX I had six books for the table but I had to wait to take advantage of the kickstarter. The HoE and Giant Size SWD books are nice, I was expecting the standard "sign inside cover of the book" but the old fashioned (and HoE themed) book plates were professionally put in the books nice and centered. I appreciate the time and effort which went into doing that.

This kickstarter was the second one I participated in (the first being graphics for Fantasy Grounds II). And it ran into problems I've seen read of other KS that involved minis - delays, unexpected and unintentional, but delays. The Traveller 5 KS had the same problem but the entire project went nowhere for like 5 years or so

Overall I'm very happy with this KS - now for the DL Noir to finally arrive

Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron Alliance Miniatures - Base Grey

Work in progress on some miniatures for post-apocalyptic "Wasted West" mayhem. Reaper/Studio 2 "Deadlands: Hell on Earth" minis from the "Iron Alliance" vanity pledge levels: an explorer with flashlight on the left, "witch" with gauntlet and "flaming skull" in center, and hoodie-guy with katana on the right. Based with three-tone monochrome grey, and some "splatter" on the resin War Cast Studios bases.

I don't know the back-story, but "Jodo Kast" on the Rimg]eaper forums posted the above picture. I think I'll use this as a painting guide for my "Iron Alliance Witch."

Also added: A plastic "Goldar the Barbarian" Bones miniature from the Reaper Kickstarter, but with a Warhammer 40K "power axe" replacing his original weapon, and some pouches added on. Stance is too wide to fit on one of the 25mm rounds, but fits diagonally on a 25mm square base just fine; I might have to go with that. I started this guy with the three-tone grey underpainting, which I think gave the flesh tone a little bit of depth even without drybrushing/washes, but it's not quite as much contrast as I'd hoped for. I've only gotten so far as to put down some very rough coloration, and then took a photo to serve as a check on whether it was really working or not.

I might have to go for a bit more variance in the range. (Still experimenting/learning.)

I plan on using some printed 600dpi "license plate" and "street sign" sections to glue down onto the shoulder pad section and certain other areas to give him an appearance of wearing "scrap armor."
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GamerDude wrote:
And I'm a round base man so yes I'll be dropping the square bases for round. Never ever understood square ones.

If you are using game mats with squares, then square bases work pretty well. I think Reapers Dark Haven line all use these square bases as well.

That said, I prefer round as well ... I tend to use 20mm round bases whenever I can. Not only do they take up less space on the board, they tend to find in my miniature cases better as well.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have the first of my official Deadlands Hell on Earth minis painted.

S2P80018 Iron Alliance #1: Witch

This was painted up according to a color guide provided by "Jodo Kast" over on the Reaper forums. The glowing green skull effect is meant to reflect the distinctive special attack made by witches in the HoE setting (a spell that did more damage if a human skull was used as a material component).

The base is a resin War Cast Studios 25mm round "industrial" base.
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pleases me greatly.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks to a pointer from Clint Black, I finally found the magic route to the Hell on Earth minis on the Studio 2 web site:

>>> http://www.studio2publishing.com/shop/index.php?cPath=25_201_215 <<<

My mistake was in trying to figure out the magic keywords to use to find Hell on Earth miniatures on the site. ("Hell on Earth"? Nope. "Miniatures"? Nope. Go to the "Miniatures" category? Nope, not listed under there. Set "Manufacturer" to "Studio 2"? No luck, and Reaper isn't an option. Finally: "Savage Worlds" > "Miniatures" > "Hell on Earth Miniatures" = Bingo! )

Jodo Kast's witch is listed merely as "Iron Alliance Figure 1 (Female)" -- technically with no mention of the "witch" part at all. The other two Iron Alliance minis are similarly vaguely listed. Going price for normal-sized minis in this line appears to be $6.99 -- a bit steep, but I suppose not unusual for 32mm scale pewter figs these days, sad to say. (I've been spoiled by Clix minis and Bones, I guess.) And in any case, these are meant to be "PC" figures, so it's not like you're going to grab an entire army of them.

One thing I'd note: the Weapons Sprue entry on the store is a bit misleading in the sense that the picture UNDER-sells the sprue. As I understand it, you've got BOTH of the weapon sprues in there, but the picture only shows one -- the stop sign / crowbar / nail board sprue, which isn't nearly as impressive as the reverse crossbow / arm crossbow / sharpened hubcap sprue. Well, the stop sign is fun, of course, but it's more impressive when you can see the whole set. Also, the stop sign piece is actually more detailed than you'd guess from the picture; the "galvanized" post has the little bolt holes running along its length that you would expect on a real stop sign post.

I'm hoping to use some of these oddball weapons to customize a few more Bones -- translating some more fantasy figs into "post-apocalyptic" mode.
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S2P80020: Iron Alliance Figure #3

I dub this painted figure "Dora the Post-Apocalyptic Mall Explorer." The bright and friendly colors of her attire are at odds with the greys, browns, dark greens and RUST that dominate most of my other HoE figures I'm working on. Evidently she found a nice cache of pristine spring-wear in the mutant-infested ruins of the super-mall complex.

The original figure ( http://www.studio2publishing.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25_201_215&products_id=3745 ) comes with two alternate left arm choices. The pictured one is the hand holding a flashlight, to go with the explorer idea. The alternate one (pictured on the Studio 2 site) is holding a second knife, for a more combat-oriented look.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: