Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What kind of game tokens or miniatures do you prefer to use?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What are you using in your games?
Prepainted miniatures
25%
 25%  [ 11 ]
Unpainted (or self-painted) miniatures
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Figure flats
20%
 20%  [ 9 ]
Paper/cardboard counters
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Just any tokens
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Both prepainted and unpainted miniatures
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
A combination of above
27%
 27%  [ 12 ]
Depends on game
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Other
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 43

robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpk wrote:
Wow. Does this look like a great time to get back on topic, or what?

Reported for getting off the off topic
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use figure flats.

My players like to make up their character pictures using Hero Machine:

http://www.ugo.com/games/superhero-generator-heromachine-2-5

It doesn't always have everything they might want, but there are enough options that they can get close enough to their character concept to turn out a good picture.

I then use their image to make figure flats so they can have "minis" that look exactly like their characters.

It's worked well enough so far! Very Happy
Shadowdragon
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpk wrote:
You've already said you're not keen on paying $2 a model. You're not a potential customer, since I believe the random packs are at about that figure or more. That means you're in the group of consumers the producers no longer care about: people who aren't going to buy from them anyway, no matter how it's packaged.

If someone wants ten orcs and I sell them a pack of ten orcs, I'm done getting their money. If they want ten orcs and have to try for 'em, I can get them to get more minis, which will actually guide them to wanting more minis anyway as well as moving minis I might not have otherwise sold them. Even if they go get their ten orcs in the singles aftermarket, that means there are people buying loads of the minis to turn into aftermarket singles, which in turn increases the desire to hunt for the now-expensive rares!

There's virtually nothing about the way random-pack minis and cards work that doesn't mean more money in the manufacturers' pockets.

That's the reality of that segment of the industry, and I wouldn't expect to see any change any time soon.

Isn't this fraud? Pushing things that aren't wanted onto people just so they can get what they actually want seems very shady to me.

As for me, I like to use minis every now and then. If I need a bunch I'll look for places like Mantic who sell unpainted and unassembled minis for about $1-$1.50 each. If I need a character, villain, or monster I'll get an unpainted metal mini from a company like Reaper. Of course, I have no problem using unpainted minis in my games, and I don't mind painting them myself. Recently though, I've been using minis less and less in my games.
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowdragon wrote:
Isn't this fraud? Pushing things that aren't wanted onto people just so they can get what they actually want seems very shady to me.

Well, fraud would be selling people packs of random miniatures that were actually filled with rotten potatoes instead. Extortion would be selling rotten-potato antivirals to people who call to complain. Mr. Green

I'd probably even say not shady, since it's not like the packaging is really a surprise to anyone. It's pretty plainly labelled most time. I might go so far as "marginally rude" or "somewhat jerkish."

But again, I digress, apologize, and will move on now.

On the topic of unpainted minis, how many of you and your groups are okay with that? I've had wildly variable experiences there. Heck, one of my most famous past characters was from an Oriental Adventures game: Kimo the Unpainted. Can you guess who had the only unpainted mini for themselves? [Later, when he learned invisibility, we painted up a "ghostly" version.]
Pariah74
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never played and RPG where anyone cared about painted or not. We have used pennies before so painted is really a luxury.

Now Blood Bowl is a different story.
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intellectually, I can sort of appreciate the whole Games Workshop "must be painted, must be painted right" nigh-mania. Emotionally, it sort of creeps me out, like kindergarteners with manicured nails. There's something just a little wrong about the whole thing.
Pariah74
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well never did it for GW's sake. It was only because in that game unpainted minis can be hard to differentiate, and what position a player is is important.
As far as GW's "must be painted and must be painted right" stuff? Pppft. Never worried about it. I don't play their games anyway (no, Blood Bowl doesn't belong to them...they only think it does. lol)

But really for RPGs painted or unpainted never has been an issue. Actually up until d20 we rarely used minis anyway, and I didn't play d20 that much.
Savage Worlds has been my first real experience with an RPG that "requires" minis.

Lots of the people in my gaming group seem to have large collections of D&D minis tho, and I have an old Hero Quest set and a bunch of cheap Hero Clix and Star Wars minis so we get by.
OJ
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would benefit from getting a rare mini. Sometimes I base stories on odd minis or props that I happen to come by. Inspiration can come from the "bottom up" as it were...
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Re: Letting players use unpainted miniatures.)
If players actually provided their own miniatures, I would not begrudge them the right to use unpainted minis, though I'd personally recommend at least going to the trouble of base-coating it and giving it a wash or a quick drybrush job just so that the details can come out. Otherwise, with some figures in bare metal, it's hard to pick out those distinctive details.

For my own games, I paint the minis, though sometimes I have to go with a real rush-job when time is short. For my Pirates RPG game I'm running at the Armadillo Game Shoppe, I've volunteered to paint up any PC miniature that a player purchases through the store. (So far, only one player has taken me up on that, with a Reaper #3252 "Anatole, Male Pirate Harpooner." The others have been content to just borrow a pirate from my collection.)
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a lazy man, I'd be all over any offer to have my minis painted for me.

Come to think of it, I've got a number of them at a friend's house hours and hours away. She's a little compulsive and needed something to do with her hands. Being a good friend, I obliged. I'm such a nice man. Twisted Evil
Sean-Khan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think collectible games appeal on several human instincts. Instict to collect and hoard things (especially beautiful or rare things) and to make one more competitive. And people tend to be optimistic about what they draw, so they'll easily buy boosters. I bought boosters when I know I'd be happy about most things I pull, after that I went for singles.

I've collected miniatures games for both rpg and the game itself, and I'm happy I'm not perfectionist. Still, many rares are just so cool or possibly important for the rpg, or because it is Obi-Wan Kenobi or some other personality Smile I haven't played too competitively so I haven't hunted just very good ones, but many rare minis have brought very interesting aspects to the game. A game attached to a miniatures line is good business as people may get interested in it and buy more minis because of it, or may get in rpg after getting familiar with the miniatures game.

Shaper & Maker - modelling, gaming & a lot of other stuff
sjmiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a lot of different things in my game to represent PCs, NPCs, and items in locations. I use some DDM pre-painted minis, some painted and unpainted minis from Reaper/Grenedier/Ral Partha/etc., glass beads, cardstock tokens and standups, and whatever else is handy.

I have no problem with people bringing unpainted minis, because some of mine are not painted. That is because I have to have others paint for me, as I am rather allergic to certain VOCs in paint. Really sucks when you are a gamer, I tell ya!
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! And I have three sets of colored d6s that I use for NPCs and monsters. It helps me keep track of the opponents. Red 3 is attacking you, Janette! Blue 4 is moving into cover... etc.
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SavageGamerGirl wrote:
Oh! And I have three sets of colored d6s that I use for NPCs and monsters. It helps me keep track of the opponents. Red 3 is attacking you, Janette! Blue 4 is moving into cover... etc.

Good point. I've done some of that, but I also put numbers, Roman numerals, and dots on my tokens. I tend to make clumps of six or so, so I can separate groups by their number style and track by "dot six orc" or (my personal favorite) "IV nurse"...
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prepainted minis preferably, painted minis otherwise, but right now we're playing Hollow Earth Expedition with LEGO minifigures. I guess they are prepainted minis as well.
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a LOT of clix miniatures. HeroClix, HorrorClix, MageKnight, D&D Plastic Miniatures, DreamBlade.

I go here -
http://www.trollandtoad.com/Miniatures/1285p1n10.html
Dig around till I find something that could work for what I want. Remember, they're easy to modify and repaint.

My Doc Savage consists of Doc Samson's torso and a thugs legs, with a green stuff torn up shirt added.

Size comparison To Bob Murch's 28mm Doc.

Hey... Doc was nearly 7 foot tall in the books.
Sean-Khan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warrenss2 wrote:
I use a LOT of clix miniatures. HeroClix, HorrorClix, MageKnight, D&D Plastic Miniatures, DreamBlade.

I go here -
http://www.trollandtoad.com/Miniatures/1285p1n10.html
Dig around till I find something that could work for what I want. Remember, they're easy to modify and repaint.

Same here. I've spent way too much time browsing the site... There is just so many clixes and most of them have 3-4 different rarities.

I haven't modified my minis that much, mainly minor modifications. Even if I do an almost complete repaint, I still prefer prepainted plastic minis, for some reason it feels easier. One interesting one is switching Bith Black Sun Vigo's head to human one Smile That mini immediately found a player in my Cyberpunk campaign (Pic below, the one in the matrix -pose).

Shaper & Maker - modelling, gaming & a lot of other stuff
mac40k
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I would always prefer to use painted minis (and I have a huge collection of GW figs), the older I got, the less time I was able (willing) to invest in painting and the more I tend to use other things. Certainly if I have the unpainted minis, I'm more likely to give them a base coat and just throw them down on the table, especially for things like hordes of goblins, zombies, beastmen, whatever, where the invidual figures/details don't really matter so much since they all have the same stats and are just Extras anyways.

I've come to really appreciate figure flats, especially for genres where my mini collection falls short. These are easy to use, I can always print more for larger hordes, and many of the unique opponents/monsters have an actual picture that is appropriate, whereas if I were to use a mini, it would be a proxy anyway.

I have also used tokens, but even printed out on cardstock I found them difficult to handle. It never occured to me to stick them to washers to give them some added depth. I actually like Joel's idea of the two-sided tokens to show Shaken status over throwing a separate Shaken counter down next to a mini that has to move with the figure. May have to give tokens another try. Especially since my game storage space has gotten so over crowded that it is getting difficult for me to find anything (dang it, I know I have an Elf with a Long Sword somewhere), the idea of a few trays of tokens and my flip mat collection fitting into a 12" square space has a certain appeal.

I never invested in prepainted minis, so other than a few random figs that I've picked up for one reason or another, I don't own that many.

The one thing I generally don't do is mix mediums. If I'm using figure flats, it's figure flats all the way, even if I have some mins that might be appropriate for some of the opponents/monsters. If I'm using minis, I'll use proxies for figs I don't have rather than resort to a token or figure flat. I may mix painted and unpainted minis, but that's about as far as I'll go.
Pariah74
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac40k wrote:
While I would always prefer to use painted minis (and I have a huge collection of GW figs), the older I got, the less time I was able (willing) to invest in painting and the more I tend to use other things. Certainly if I have the unpainted minis, I'm more likely to give them a base coat and just throw them down on the table, especially for things like hordes of goblins, zombies, beastmen, whatever, where the invidual figures/details don't really matter so much since they all have the same stats and are just Extras anyways.

Last night I noticed an interesting irony. Back in the day, we didn't use minis much with D&D (or Star Wars, or Palladium games) but when we did they were painted beautifully and with the amount of time investment only a teenage nerd can do. However, they were usually just placed on a table covered by green cloth, or in a dungeon with walls made from dominoes or legos.

Nowdays, we use minis all the time but they're usually pre-painted plastics or figure flats, or some sort of other paper minis. Lots of times Stormtroopers stand in for goblins, and whatnot...

...but we do it on beautifully printed dungeon tiles! Or Chessex mats, or Paizo maps. Laughing

I don't know if this holds true for every group but it does for me.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warrenss2 wrote:
My Doc Savage consists of Doc Samson's torso and a thugs legs, with a green stuff torn up shirt added.

I just wanted to say that's a great conversion!

I've used both those figures (the "Thug" and "Doc Samson") for PC conversions for Slipstream before; they seem to work well for "larger-than-life" "two-fisted action" pulp hero types, with a bit of modification.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: