Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What kind of game tokens or miniatures do you prefer to use?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What are you using in your games?
Prepainted miniatures
25%
 25%  [ 11 ]
Unpainted (or self-painted) miniatures
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Figure flats
20%
 20%  [ 9 ]
Paper/cardboard counters
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Just any tokens
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Both prepainted and unpainted miniatures
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
A combination of above
29%
 29%  [ 13 ]
Depends on game
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Other
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 44

Sean-Khan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: What kind of game tokens or miniatures do you prefer to use? Reply with quote

Just curious Smile I believe the answers would be a bit different at general discussion though.

Shaper & Maker - modelling, gaming & a lot of other stuff
Pariah74
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be really into painting and converting minis, and I despised prepainted minis when Mageknight came on the scene.

But since then I live a more adult life and it's just not practical (or fun) to spend more time painting minis and terrain than actually playing the game.

My only wish would be for some prepainted plastic minis of the basic fantasy monster races that were not collectible and were priced reasonably.

I would pay $10 for for a pack of 10 Orcs in a NY minute.
Sean-Khan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singles Pariah, go for singles stores Smile I've spent numerous hours for finding perfect minis for my games which is why I've started posting miniatures articles on my site (so far only for Sword & Sorcery).

Too bad DDM stores are going down and prices are starting to crawl up again. $10 for 10 prepainted orcs are impossible wish as a pack, but in a game where rares balance the cost it's possible to get common or uncommon singles cheaply.

Pariah74
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even singles for basic stuff like orcs, goblins and skeletons top $2 per fig sometimes...that's too much for a pre-painted fig IMO.

Also, I don't want to waste the time searching and searching for singles, especially when I have to do it online mostly.
IMO hasbro is missing the boat here because WotC can't see past the collectible model. They're probably the only company with the resources to produce prepaints in the volume where they could be priced cheap enough to entice me.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be AGHAST at the idea of prepainted minis, but then it occurred to me: If it really matters that much, I can always start with a prepainted mini, and touch up the badly-painted details. Add those eyes, clean up those overpainted areas, do a bit of drybrushing, add a wash, etc.

So, I have a mixture of painted minis, prepainted (Mage Knight, *Clix, "The Adventurers," various toys that just happen to be about the right scale), "repainted" (prepainted figs I've modified and touched up), and the occasional figure flat or paper model (Figure flats for Cards and Paper Tigers and such for Wonderland No More, and homemade paper models for vehicles so that I don't waste a fortune getting toys to represent them all and have a nasty time trying to store them).

I've tried to phase out metal minis as much as possible, because plastics tend to be much more forgiving in terms of storage; I've had a bunch of Clix that I've just put in a box, without any foam protection between them, and they've held up just fine. Even the ones that I've touched up with new paint jobs, I just seal them with a bit of acrylic matte sealer and they don't get dinged up the way metal minis would.

However, there are still a number of Reaper minis I've picked up just because they were perfect to represent PCs or special NPC/villains ... or because they looked so cool I wanted to paint them up and FIND a use for them in a game. Smile
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
I used to be AGHAST at the idea of prepainted minis, but then it occurred to me: If it really matters that much, I can always start with a prepainted mini, and touch up the badly-painted details. Add those eyes, clean up those overpainted areas, do a bit of drybrushing, add a wash, etc.

Exactly! lol For me it dawned on me that I was avoiding prepainted figs, but I had so little time that the majority of my figs were getting painted with 3-5 colors and dipped. At that point why bother, right?
But the collectible end of most of these annoys me. I have bought a lot of Star Wars commons because they're dirt cheap, but it's not the same for D&D minis. And now that they are stopping, the prices will probably rise.

Jordan Peacock wrote:
However, there are still a number of Reaper minis I've picked up just because they were perfect to represent PCs or special NPC/villains ... or because they looked so cool I wanted to paint them up and FIND a use for them in a game. Smile

Yeah, Reaper minis are the shizznizzlebizzazz!
Vinzent
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could use miniatures but they're too expensive and bulky. I use tokens I make myself.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pariah74 wrote:
But the collectible end of most of these annoys me. I have bought a lot of Star Wars commons because they're dirt cheap, but it's not the same for D&D minis. And now that they are stopping, the prices will probably rise.

Yeah, I have a real problem with the gambling aspect of collectible miniatures games. I only buy a pack of random miniatures if I know that all I really want is "a bunch of pirate ships" or "a bunch of weird monsters" or "a bunch of random models for kitbash supplies" - not because I want to get a specific "rare" model.

For a while, local comic/hobby stores would break open boxes of CMGs and CSGs and sell the rares at ramped-up prices, and the commons very cheaply - either singly or in clear grab bags. I didn't care about the power difference between a "Veteran" or "Experienced" version of a figure vs. a "Rookie" or whatever, so I'd go for the cheap commons, of course. Unfortunately, local stores have stopped doing that - though I've seen a few mall stores that will have a few rares on sale in a display case at ridiculous prices.

More often, I've bought Clix models and similar from online sites such as PopularCollections.com or MiniatureMarket.com. Some of the less-popular lines such as IndyClix and HorrorClix got really cheap for a while, to the point where I'd get a few ugly commons for 5 cents each. I didn't really need that many of them, but I'd pick them up just for spare heads, arms, and general "bitz" to use for conversions of other figures (and many of the mismatched leftovers ended up joining the ranks of the undead in my WOTD campaign).

The main downside to the online suppliers (aside from dwindling supplies of singles) is that the shipping & handling can really reduce the bargain aspect - so I would end up saving up a really big wish list (and hoping that they didn't run out of items I wanted to get in the meantime), then placing a big order (sometimes going in with a friend who had a number of wish-list items as well) so I could meet the minimum order size to avoid shipping costs, or at least get a more favorable rate. Now, however, the minimum cost for free shipping has generally gone up to $100 or more for sites like that (if it's even offered at all), and I don't really need $100 worth of cheap plastic minis that badly. Wink
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come to really enjoy tokens. I use 1" washers, print head shots onto 1" stickers (actually heavy-duty Post-It stickers...they were more available and are removable if I really care), and apply. On one side, I put the image. On the other side, I put the image with a big red ring around it to indicate Shaken. Get Shaken, get flipped. Unshaken? Unflipped.

Since I know I'm never going to be one of the massive impressive diorama guys at a con, that lets me put my minis and one of the foldable flip mats in a clipboard box and be ready to go.
scourger
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a combination, which usually depends on the game. If I have minis for it that are genre appropriate, then I'll use them. Otherwise, I make card-stock minis from pictures harvested from the web. If a game comes with counters, I love it; like the new Gamma World. And, I like D&D minis because they are pre-painted and have stat cards. But, then I have to run a d20 game, which hasn't been on the table for a while. I prefer to use painted minis for the PCs/heroes, especially if the foes are some kind of counter or token as it makes a great visual distinction on the table top. In my ideal game, the players bring their own painted (or pre-painted or whatever) minis, but that has happened only rarely. My painting time & interest evaporated when my older son was born, but I could see getting back into it if he gets more interested now that he's getting into school age. But, I doubt I'll ever paint large numbers of minis again unless I get into a game like 40K. I'm even thinking about using chess men for units of Roman soldiers in my current game since I don't have many appropriate figures.
OJ
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone interested in the Wizkids Pathfinder line coming at the end of the year? It looks promising. http://wizkidsgames.com/blog/2011/05/25/paizo-and-wizkids-launch-pathfinder-pre-painted-minis/
Pariah74
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...Heroes & Monsters, a blind-packed, randomized set of 40 miniatures based on the smash-hit Pathfinder Roleplaying Game."

Damnit...seriously? #1icon_wall
Why must they ALWAYS be collectible?

How does that help me play Pathfinder?
Sean-Khan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My view to the prepainted is completely different. I tried metal minis but couldn't get to paint them, if I had time and inspiration I used it for terrain building. When D&DM came out, I fell for it immediately!

I also think $2/prepainted mini is generally too much - but I also understand that they do have costs and they ARE painted already, which saves huge amounts of time. I love the collectibility aspect as it lets some minis to be cheap, although there are always some I want even if they are rares. If I want something a LOT I'm ready pay for it more.

It's completely possible to get a good set of prepainted miniatures for very low costs, although it's true that mailing costs may cause issues (especially overseas). Getting base set of 50 rpg miniatures for $25(+s&h) or even cheaper is well possible. I guess miniatures for modern or scifi games become generally cheaper.

OJ
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why must they ALWAYS be collectible?
I don't know about your store, but mine will sell singles.
Pariah74
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have a store that sells this stuff. We have a few gaming stores but they focus on Warmachine, Warhammer, and things of that nature. The one store with a good RPG selection (still did not sell singles), is closing.

And I really would love to buy packs rather than hunt for singles. Sure, it's a minor quibble, but I think my question is a legit one.

Why do these need to be collectible for Pathfinder?
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it's a more profitable sales model. That's it. Like it or not, it's the truth and will likely remain so.
Pariah74
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a more profitable sales model...but I wonder if it will be so in this case. The collectible model always had a benefit to getting a rare mini. What is the benefit here? There doesn't seem to be one. I have my doubts these will sell that well in this way. It's likely I am wrong, they have market research after all, but sometimes I wonder if big companies really understand the gamer market.

Surely I am not the only gamer out there who didn't play a lot of d20, and when he did it didn't use minis, or at least didn't use pre-painted plastics, and would now like to get some for the current games out that more or less require them. If I am buying minis to use with Savage Worlds, I am not paying for randomized boosters. I'll do with what I have been doing and wait for these to go on clearance.

Selling them in that way adds nothing new to the market, and only continues a line of figs I didn't buy before (and neither did a lot of people because it was canceled.) I really believe (judging from the gamers in my very large gaming group) that if Paizo sold packs on minis in sets of things like "Orc Encounter" or "Undead Horde" they would go like hot cakes.

They could even sell them along side a collectible model. I'm sure orcs and skeletons will be commons...why not sell packs of commons the way the shop owners will be doing? After all, if shop owners are selling them singly then the market has spoken, hasn't it?
There's money to be made from commons, and it isn't just as filler.
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've already said you're not keen on paying $2 a model. You're not a potential customer, since I believe the random packs are at about that figure or more. That means you're in the group of consumers the producers no longer care about: people who aren't going to buy from them anyway, no matter how it's packaged.

If someone wants ten orcs and I sell them a pack of ten orcs, I'm done getting their money. If they want ten orcs and have to try for 'em, I can get them to get more minis, which will actually guide them to wanting more minis anyway as well as moving minis I might not have otherwise sold them. Even if they go get their ten orcs in the singles aftermarket, that means there are people buying loads of the minis to turn into aftermarket singles, which in turn increases the desire to hunt for the now-expensive rares!

There's virtually nothing about the way random-pack minis and cards work that doesn't mean more money in the manufacturers' pockets.

That's the reality of that segment of the industry, and I wouldn't expect to see any change any time soon.
Pariah74
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flaw in your logic is assuming that all I want is 10 orcs.

I would want 10 orcs, 10 goblins, 10 skeletons, 10 zombies, 20 kobolds, 5 trolls, 5 ogres, etc etc etc etc.
If people are buying the singles, then market is there.

The thing here is, there's no benefit to getting a rare mini. In other collectible games getting a rare gave you an edge on the competition. That doesn't work here, so what is the point of it?
I mean so what if you get a rare Lich mini? Your players are extra doomed now?

Hey, by all means sell them in randomized boosters...but what is so illogical about offering a set of 10 common skeletons or orcs for $20? or 5 for $10?
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Does this look like a great time to get back on topic, or what?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: