Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I LOVE prepping SW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcayer
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: I LOVE prepping SW Reply with quote

Having come from a 4E background about a year or so ago, I was initially impressed with how prep-light SW can be. This week, 12 hours before our session, my group decided to switch from Sci-Fi to Fantasy for a few sessions. In less than an hour(lunchtime), I had a vague plot hook, a map, a couple images to evoke the appropriate feel, and some monster blocks that I could use as needed.

3.5 hours of game time later, everyone left after having a great time. They have no idea how little prep it takes to make SW work. That same night of prep with 4E would have taken me hours. Granted I've probably grown as a GM in that time, but SW makes it so easy to let the players drive the plot/story that once they were in the "haunted" mansion, the details on the map and their play wrote most of the night for me.

Thank you SW for freeing me from hours upon hours of prep!
paladintodd
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that I'll ever love prepping (and I'm not falling in love with these skeleton-thin PPCs), but I do love running SW over Pathfinder. Quicker combat, no getting bogged down in rules, ability to just handwave stats for bad guys. Much, much easier and more fun to play.
DHRDawg
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I LOVE prepping SW Reply with quote

jcayer wrote:

I know what you mean. Prepping is so easy now with SW. With that extra time i use it to make custom maps in Photoshop, paint minis, do some papercraft cars or something.

Love, love, love me some Savage Worlds! Razz
amerigoV
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always feel guilty that I have not done enough prep, but the sessions just seem to run themselves, even when they take unexpected turns. I try to hang on to the guilt just so I will do a bit of prep Smile
Dayleph
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've really enjoyed Savage Worlds and that ease of prep; I've run a half dozen or so "One-Shot" adventures for our group's game weekends, and I've been able to complete the prep work for each one in less than a day. Honestly, the part that has always taken me the longest was creating the characters for the one-shot... but even that has gotten easier in recent weeks.

There's just something gratifying about knowing my friends can tell me on Friday Night that they want me to run something, and that I can have a really cool 'something' ready to go before they even show up on Saturday afternoon. Smile
"I was happy with "fairly terrible"."
"Sorry, just thinking out loud."
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paladintodd wrote:
I don't know that I'll ever love prepping (and I'm not falling in love with these skeleton-thin PPCs), but I do love running SW over Pathfinder. Quicker combat, no getting bogged down in rules, ability to just handwave stats for bad guys. Much, much easier and more fun to play.

That's what hooked me. And the longer you use it, the less prep you have to do.
The One
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still spend time on prepping, the difference being is that the prep time goes into the adventure plot, the handouts, and various accessories and not into the statistics of a particular creature or opponent.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I LOVE prepping SW Reply with quote

jcayer wrote:

Absolutely!

I run one-shot sessions at the local college's gaming club meetings (each week during semesters). About 3/4 of the time I have little or no idea what I want to run; after three plus years I've run all the stuff I really wanted to run. So, I ask what people want to play, and figure out something while they're building characters.
The other week someone called out for Pirates, another called for Dinosaurs, and a third person wanted it In Space. So we had an adventure of Pirates Versus Dinosaurs In Space.
It was very successful. They had a bar fight, looted, and used the ships cannons to kill t-rexes. Everyone had fun and all of the PCs lived, though they accidentally blew up the space port they had docked at.

I could only dream of doing that kind of thing with other systems. Especially since I usually let them create their own characters for each adventure.
thewizardguy
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savage Worlds provides more general rules, in comparison to systems like D&D and Pathfinder. This means that you can much more easily apply certain rules to almost any situation. Once you know the rules a little, and have some experience with improv, you can run pretty much anything on the fly, with very little prep.
I myself play in a group with 7 people. Now, running 7 people in D&D is an absolute nightmare. A player could go do the spring cleaning and come back in time for their turn. We were hardly ever able to do more than a single fight in SW. For me, the appeal is always the fast combat, the variety of settings, and the customizability.
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: I LOVE prepping SW Reply with quote

jcayer wrote:
Having come from a 4E background about a year or so ago, I was initially impressed with how prep-light SW can be. This week, 12 hours before our session, my group decided to switch from Sci-Fi to Fantasy for a few sessions. In less than an hour(lunchtime), I had a vague plot hook, a map, a couple images to evoke the appropriate feel, and some monster blocks that I could use as needed.

3.5 hours of game time later, everyone left after having a great time. They have no idea how little prep it takes to make SW work. That same night of prep with 4E would have taken me hours. Granted I've probably grown as a GM in that time, but SW makes it so easy to let the players drive the plot/story that once they were in the "haunted" mansion, the details on the map and their play wrote most of the night for me.

With background no wonder you find SW a super-easy-to-prep game. I agree 100% on that score. All I need is a general overview of what can happen, sometimes a BBEG stated out and I'm good to go. I'd say conservatively speaking it takes 75%-90% less time and effort to prep compared to most systems! Mr. Green Cool
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: