Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Edge Representing Rank in Secret Service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PencilBoy99
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Edge Representing Rank in Secret Service Reply with quote

I'd like to provide players with Edges that represent a rank in a Secret Service (a secret organization w/in a church). Deadlands Reloaded has a Rank/Promotion table, but I'd like to have something that represents an ability to gain resources (special loaned 1-time items, temporary extra allies or one special ally), based on that rank. I'm sure some Setting has a rule like this.

Which one!
SeeleyOne
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, some settings have an edge that denotes rank. In Deadlands, as you reference, there is but one edge regardless of rank. Instead of paying more edges you get Promotions.

So I would recommend against requiring an edge. Just give promotions. Only have an edge for "membership" if you have characters that will not be part of the agency. Personally I figure even the first rank is free. It is dictated more by story than wasting your advances on it. However, if there is a clear edge-worthy advantage to a certain rank or membership then an edge is not unfair.

Just record somewhere on the character what their current rank is. Also, if you do not already have it, I strongly encourage that you get Agents of Oblivion by Reality Blurs.

To be evil is to live backwards
galu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If every player will be an agent (like a Mission impossible team), give out the edge for free.

OR give them a free "connections: secret service" edge, and you can use the connection rules for requesting extra tools...

The ranks I use:
novice: second lieutenant
seasoned: first lieutenant
veteran: lieutenant
heroic: lieutenant commander
legendary: commander*

The players can use these ranks and uniforms if necessary, but I didn't charge an edge for that.

*the official (Royal Navy) rank of James Bond is a commander in Goldfinger.
This is frigate captain in other countries
Matchstickman
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the expanded rules from the (free) Deadlands players' guide The Last Sons?
https://www.peginc.com/freebies/DL_Reloaded/S2P10209PGTheLastSonsPlayersGuide.pdf

It has rules for requisitioning items based on rank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: