Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Currents of Caribdus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brass Jester
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: The Currents of Caribdus Reply with quote

I’m putting the Currents of Space on temporary hold as I want to try a different solo Game. As I’ve just finished a successful run in pantomime appearing as a pirate in “Peter Pan”; I was given “50 Fathoms” as a gift. This setting is great, I love the blend of pirates, magic and non-human races set in a doomed world. I’ve skimmed the Plot Points and they look well-written and intriguing.

I’m going to start at the beginning, with a single character and see what develops. As a solo engine I’ll use a blend of Mythic GME (as GM), Story Cubes (mainly to give NPC’s character) and my own stuff (off-time table, solo combat). Anything else I’ll write as needed.

Introducing Jim Hawkins

I’m going to give a little bit of back story, in order to get a better handle on Jim, because he is the same Jim Hawkins from ‘Treasure Island’, now grown up.

When Jim returned from Treasure Island he had a modest amount of treasure, enough to buy the ‘Admiral Benbow’ and settle down with his mother. However, there was always the rumour that there was more treasure on the island and that Ben Gunn didn’t find all of it. After all, who is to say that Captain Flint didn’t pay more than one visit? Over the years the treasure was spent, yet still Jim lived happily at the inn. Rumours spread though and increasingly there came callers at the inn, visitors enquiring after the legendary Treasure Island, and wanting to hear the story.
One day, Jim was in Bristol buying supplies for the inn, when his eye was caught by two ragged sailors disembarking off a ship. To his horror he recognised them; one was Blind Pew, who had been left for dead outside the ’Admiral Benbow’ years ago, and the other was Israel Hands, Flint’s gunner, who Jim though he had killed on the ‘Hispaniola’. In a hurry, he packed the wagon and headed back to the inn. He sent a message to the squire to ask for help for he had no doubt where they were heading.
As a real storm raged overhead, Hands, Pew and a gang of cut-throats attempted to take the inn that night; Jim had sent his mother away and was lying in wait with some soldiers and his friend William Redruth, son of Tom Redruth. In the ensuing fight, bottles were smashed and lanterns knocked over; the inn was engulfed in flames. Jim and William escaped to the coast and sailed off in a small sloop that Jim owned. Jim was unsure of where they were heading. Struggling in the teeth of a howling gale, they encountered the ghostly Maiden. Jim awoke, washed up a beach on Caribdus. He has now been here about 8 months.

JIM HAWKINS
Human, English
8.6.6.6.6 // 6.7.6(1).0 // [6/10/14/18/22]
Boating 6, Climb 4, Fighting 8, Know (Masaquani) 6, Notice 6, Shooting 8, Stealth 6, Taunt 6

H: Curious (always wants to know what’s going on)
Wanted (pirates after Flint’s treasure)
Squanderous (can’t keep hold of money)

E: Acrobat (+2 Agility rolls, +1 Parry if unencumbered)
Steady Hands (no penalty for shooting off a moving platform)

Booty: Silver 35
Stash: Silver 150 (behind the bar at “The Shipwreck Surprise” on Azy Cay

Gear: Total Enc: 26 (30/60/120/180)
Leather armour (+1) [15]
Dagger (Str+d4) [1]
Cutlass (Str+d6) [4]
Flintlock pistol (5/10/20, 2d6+1) [3]
Powder & Shot (10) [1]
Leather satchel [2]

Personal Threads
Find William Redruth
Hunted by pirates after Flint’s treasure

XP: 1
Advances:
Free Edge: Acrobat
Curious: +1 Smarts
Wanted and Squanderous: Steady Hands

OK, that’s Jim done. Now to see what’s happening on the world of Caribdus.
====================================================================================
2. Before I start, let’s populate the Lists and set some Solo Game rules.
a) 2 xp will be awarded every four scenes (thanks Andy)
b) Jokers Wild rule will be in force; every time a Joker is drawn then everyone gets a Benny.
c) The adventure ends when a Thread is closed
d) Time in the Game: Simplified. There are 12 Months of 28 days each. Each Month is made up of four 7 day weeks. Each day is 24 hours long, 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness. Months are the same as Earth (just a different length)

THREADS
None open at the present

CHAOS

NPC’s
None at the start
Brass Jester
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scene: One

Jim is walking along an alleyway in the Port district of Baltimus, heading for a small tavern that he frequents. It is dark and pouring with rain; possibly the reason Jim didn’t see his assailant before they leapt out at him from the shadows. The attacker was an Ugak, a loathsome brute with matted black hair, an ugly expression and swinging a huge club. Jim leapt back and pulled his cutlass; to his surprise the Ugak stumbled across the alley and fell against the opposite wall. In the dim light, Jim could see the gaping wound in his side. Thinking to finish the brute cleanly, he stepped forward with his blade raised.

“Help me”, croaked the Ugak.

Jim nearly dropped his weapon. Not only had the brute spoken, but he had spoken in ENGLISH! He stepped closer and looked hard. Now he could see, this was not a savage Ugak but one of the reviled half-breeds known as Red Men.

“Help me. Bad men say I know where great treasure is and hurt me to tell them. Gan does not know where treasure is and ran away, but bad man hurt him. Please help me.”

Jim helped the Red Man to his feet and supported him to the tavern; herding him into a dark corner. He ordered two flagons of ale and sat opposite.

“Tell me, where did you learn to speak English?”

“He can speak English because I taught it to him” came a female voice at Jim’s left shoulder.

End of Scene 1
Threads
New >What is the Red Man’s secret?
Chaos
There was no combat so the Pressure Cooker +1 to Chaos 6
Characters
Gan, the wounded Red Man with a secret to a great treasure
Female, Unknown
Brass Jester
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scene: Two

Opening: Jim Hawkins, a wounded Red Man called Gan and an unknown female are in a secluded nook in “The Tarred Rope” in Baltimus.

Jim looked up, his hand straying to his cutlass. He saw a tall, brown-haired Human woman at his side. She wore ship gear and had a medicine pouch on her belt alongside a long dagger. Without asking, she sat down and reached out a hand to Gan; who grabbed it eagerly.

“Who are you?” asked Jim, in English. “You are English.”

The woman smiled. “Actually, I’m Welsh and despise the English. I am a daughter of the hills and cwms and the blood of Dafydd Ap Owen runs in my veins. My name is Bronwyn.”

“Who is he and how did he come to learn English? In fact, why did you not teach him Welsh and not English?”

Bronwyn leaned back and called for a flagon of ale; then leaned forward.

“I taught him English because my captain ordered me to do so. I am a surgeon and was hired on by Captain Bojan in Jomba Town. Gan was his personal bodyguard; how and where he gained him I don’t know. I did find that Gan is a quick learner; he looks like a stupid savage but he is not; he can be taught.”

She glanced at the door and took a long draught of her ale, then called for another.

“I knew Bojan and his crew were pirates; the swabs on the lower deck were full of tales of terror, designed to scare me. The stories stopped when there was an outbreak of boils and I had to take my lancet to them each in turn. I love seeing grown men squeal.”

Jim started and looked full at her. Bronwyn had brown hair, a lissom figure and piercing pale blue eyes. He shuddered; behind the eyes was a hint of madness.

Bronwyn downed the flagon and called for another.

“We anchored off an uncharted island somewhere in The Whip Islands. Captain Bojan, Gan and three crew rowed ashore. It was then that Black Bob, the First Mate started the mutiny amongst the crew. Black Bob took three men ashore to follow Captain Bojan. Only Bob returned, streaked with blood; he said later that Bojan and his men had attacked them. Shortly after, Gan came out of the forest carrying the mortally wounded Captain. I tried to save him but to no avail; he died just before we made port. I came ashore to seek a safe haven; obviously Black Bob and the rest of the crew think Gan knows where Bojan has hidden his treasure and tried to make him talk.”

“Does he know?” asked Jim, looking at Gan; then glancing round the room.

“I don’t think he knows anything, but the crew obviously do. They will come looking for him.”

“And you. They may well believe Gan has told you. We need to get out of town. I’ll get a room here where we can lie low and I’ll go looking for a ship in the morning.”

“We?” Bronwyn was amused. “Are you coming along too?”

“Why not,” grinned Jim. “I’m looking for adventure.”

End of Scene 2

Threads
What is the Red Man’s secret?

Chaos
Pressure cooker +1 to 7 (something’s going to blow soon!)

NPC’s
Bronwyn, Ships Surgeon
Black Bob and his crew

Places (this is a new list I’m starting, not sure if it’s any use yet)
Baltimus
Unknown Whip Island
“The Tarred Rope” tavern in Baltimus
Brass Jester
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scene: Three

13th February 13AF, in Baltimus

Jim left Bronwyn and Gan in the room at “The Tarred Rope” and went down to the Piers to look for a ship they can take passage on. There were several ships docked and loading cargo; almost all of them were Company ships.

“I need a small merchantman, a sloop or a schooner”, thought Jim as he moved along the docks. Just then, he saw a small ship, a Hoy moored up ahead; with several people moving around. Jim hurried forward; then he spied the name on the transom.

“Oh no. It’s the “Lady Evil”.

Still, curiosity caused him to move closer. He was anxious to get a glimpse of Black Bob.

“Ahoy shipmate”, called a voice from the deck. Jim saw a tall, dark-skinned Masaquani standing at the rail. His braided hair reached to his waist.

“Captain Bob Blacken’s the name and I’m looking for good seafaring men to join my crew. We sail for Calib’s Rock on the tide. Will you take a berth?”

Jim politely refused the offer; but was not expecting the reaction. Captain Bob roared “Refuse me, would you? Then two of my lads will see you right.” He gestured and two of the seamen loading stores dropped what they were doing and pulled cutlasses.

The pirates advanced, lazily swinging their cutlasses. “You’re outnumbered, my fancy” grinned one, whilst the other mad a sudden rush. Jim deflected the flat of the blade and jumped back. He realised that he had a slight advantage in that they didn’t want to kill him. That, however, didn’t mean that they wouldn’t hurt him. They tried every dirty trick in the book to intimidate him; Jim backed away and narrowly averted a solid blow to the head that would have surely floored him. He escaped into the dockside alleys; looking behind him he was not being pursued.

Back at the “Tarred Rope”, he found the room was empty! There was no sign of Bronwyn or Gan; then came a knocking at the window. Gan climbed in, he had been hiding on the roof.

“Bad man came and took Bonnwin”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Threads
What is the Red Man’s secret
New > Rescue Bronwyn from Black Bob

Chaos
7. No change. There was combat but the kidnap of Bronwyn has complicated things

NPC’s
Bronwyn, Ships Surgeon
Black Bob and his crew

Places
Baltimus
Unknown Whip Island
===============================================
GM Notes:
The solo combat system seems to work ok, possibly needs some tweaking to allow more non-attack Actions
The kidnap of Bronwyn came from a random event
Brass Jester
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scene: 4

Opening: Jim runs down to the docks to intercept the “Lady Evil” before it sails

Gan pulls at Jim’s arm, shaking his head. “Bonnwin said no, to wait. Go later”. Jim shook his hand off and carried on along the alley.
“If we wait, they will have sailed. They were sailing on the tide”
“Bonnwin said wait, they not wait”.
Jim paused and thought for a moment. What Gan was saying was that Bronwyn thought it might be a trap; that some of Black Bob’s crew might be waiting to ambush them. He waited some time, then he and Gan made their way down to the Piers. They arrived in time to see the “Lady Evil” just doubling the point.*

Jim spoke to some of the stevedores, asking if anyone had seen Bronwyn go aboard the “Lady Evil”. None of them had, but they did confirm that the ship was bound for Calib’s Rock. Jim reflected on this; he hadn’t seen any reason to doubt what Black Bob had said concerning where the ship was sailing to.

Jim, with Gan in tow, starting asking around the taverns to see if any ship was sailing for Calib’s Rock. He struck lucky; he was referred to a chandler and told to ask for Aurelianus.

The chandler’s stores, like all such places, was dimly lit and cluttered with ship’s gear; smelling strongly of tarred rope. The chandler, a Masaquani, was deep in conversation with a purple-skinned Kraken, haggling over some ships stores. They both turned as Jim entered, leaving Gan outside.

“I am here to ask for Captain Aurelianus”, said Jim. “Is he here?”
“I am Aurelianus” said the Kraken in a gurgling voice. “Why are you asking for me? Be hasty, I sail on this tide.”
“I am told you are bound for Calib’s Rock. I, and a companion, would take passage with you. I am a seaman and can work my passage if you wish.”
“And your companion? Can they work their passage too?”
“They have a strong back and can haul their weight”.

The Kraken regarded him with yellow-green eyes. “Agreed. Ten silver each to pay for your provisions.” He turned to the chandler. “Have the extra provisions loaded aboard; he will pay.” To Jim he said “Pay the man, we sail in one hour on the turn of the tide. Look for the skiff ‘Celaphon’.”

Jim paid over 20 pieces of eight and he and Gan made their way along the Piers. The ‘Celaphon’ is a single-masted skiff, with one gun port and starboard. Aurelianus was waiting on the main deck for them.
“Stow your gear below then come topsides. Let me see how you handle a ship; you can take her out of port.”

End of Scene 4

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Threads
Rescue Bronwyn from Black Bob
Has Bronwyn gone willingly?

Chaos
Drop one to 6. (I’m going to abandon the Pressure Cooker and revert to the original rules. Under the PC rules Chaos would now be 8!)

NPC’s
Bronwyn, Ships Surgeon
Black Bob and his crew
Aurelianus, Kraken captain of the ‘Celaphon’

Places
Baltimus
Unknown Whip Island

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GM’s notes
* This was the result of an interrupt; the overall message was Procrastinate and Expose-Wishes, which I took to mean that Bronwyn wanted them to wait until the ship had sailed. Hmm. Has she really been kidnapped or has she gone willingly? I’ll add that as a sub-Thread.
Brass Jester
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scene: Five

Opening: On board the ‘Celaphon’ making for Calib’s Rock

Captain Aurelianus was impressed with Jim’s handling of the ship, but took the wheel once they rounded the headland. Even after eight years, Jim could not get used to how close to his own world this one was. If fact, if it wasn’t that he was standing next to a frock-coated squid-headed humanoid wearing a captain’s hat, he could almost be at sea anywhere on Earth.
The ‘Celaphon’ had no passenger quarters; they slept in the hold along with the cargo and the guns. There were other passengers aboard; a dark-skinned Masaquani and his family, who spoke little and kept to themselves. Jim learnt he was a woodcutter seeking a new life in Calib’s Rock.
Perhaps the reason for their silence was the fifth passenger, a pale-skinned Masaquani wearing the black and silver robes of a Questor! A long sword hung at his belt; his eyes had a reddish tinge and he had waist-length braided hair.
“You are a human, a Newcomer”, the Questor said in a low voice. “I would speak with you, to learn of your world. I am Dulce Decorum and I hunt demons.”
That evening, after the meal, the passengers swapped stories. The woodcutter ventured that he had heard that The Company were starting a new venture; you paid a sum of money to journey on a large ship round the islands, seeing various sites. Jim and Dulce laughed at this; that people would pay money for such a thing?

The 14th February dawned bright and clear and the land had been left far behind. Jim looked at the compass; they were heading north-west.

“Spell you at the wheel captain?” he asked. Aurelianus stepped back and Jim took over. “Keep her on this heading, English Jim, and we should raise Calib’s Rock in two or three days”

Jim revelled in this life, being behind the wheel of a ship. Ahead, a school of flying fish leapt out of the water, pacing the ship. Dulce went forward to look at them; then joined Jim.

“They are harmless; see, they have curved wing fins. If you ever see ones with jagged wing fins; steer away; they are deadly”. He looked at Jim with his disturbing red eyes. “Tell me something of your world. Do demons stalk the land?”
“Not demons as such”, replied Jim; then started to tell the tale of his adventures as a boy on Treasure Island. They talked long; as they did the seas began to build. The sun set in a mass of dark cloud.
“Captain!” called Jim. “We are heading into stormy weather.”
“Reef the sails”, ordered the captain. “I’ll take the wheel. Everyone else, get below and batten the hatches.”

The 15th February was a confused maelstrom of driving rain, howling wind and plunging seas. Jim had a partial reef on the mainsail to give some headway; sometime during the day the sail ripped and the ship was blown downwind.
When the storm passed, the ‘Celaphon’ was anchored off a small rocky islet; in the centre stood a low stone building with a gaping doorway. Captain Aurelianus set the woodcutter and family to repairing the storm damage and the mainsail; Jim, Gan and Dulce set off to explore the building. Gan carried a torch from the ‘Celaphon’.

A stairway led down to a series of passages running in all directions. Many of these were dead ends; at one point Jim stepped on a loose floor stone and a side passage opened up. There was some debate about whether to take it and in the end they did. It led to a large chamber. There were no other exits. They turned; to find the exit blocked by four Skeletal Warriors; wearing tattered pirate rig and carrying cutlasses.

There was no chance to avoid combat; the warriors blocked the only exit. Jim, Gan and Dulce stepped forward; weapons ready to attack; however all four Warriors attacked Dulce. The result was startling; Dulce fended most of the attacks but then one bit deep. Dulce howled something unintelligible; his eyes went blood-red and he attacked in a berserk frenzy. Two of the Warriors went down; Jim narrowly escaped a blow from Dulce. Dulce took a Wound from a Warrior; undeterred he swung back in a frenzy and took out the Warrior. Snorting for breath, heedless of the blood running down his chest; he readied his sword.
“Dulce!” screamed Jim. “It’s us, friends. Only friends left. You understand?”

Dulce dropped his sword and sank to his knees; his head in his hands. “The demons have come and possessed me again. They took my love from me and now they are coming back to take me.”
“Listen, Dulce”, said Jim, “you are wounded; as is Gan. We need to get out of here. Get up and walk.”

Jim tried to find a way out, but a wrong turn landed them in a room of Skeletal Warriors guarding two large chests. They beat a hasty retreat but Gan was Wounded twice (-3) and Jim found a small wood chest (500 silver) hidden in a room. A final encounter with a pack of Vroat led to one Vroat dead; the PC’s escaped unharmed. They returned to the ship, Jim half-supporting Gan, who was bleeding profusely and Dulce limping from a leg wound.

End of Scene 5
Threads

Chaos
Remain at 6

NPC’s
Bronwyn, Ships Surgeon
Black Bob and his crew
Dulce Decorum, Masaquani Questor

Places
Baltimus
Unknown Whip Island
GM notes
a) Dulce was created using my Mookmaker system, a NPC generation system run on an Excel spreadsheet. His name literally translates as “Sweet Right”; maybe I should put in the ‘et’ to make it “Sweet and Right”.
b) The sea voyage was run using a bit of my stuff to generate the overall weather and the encounter tables from the CR.
c) The ruins were done using a Quick Ruins system I devised for Beasts and Barbarians; it is handled by a series of card draws (it wasn’t until I started playing SW that I realised what a fantastically versatile Game Engine a simple pack of cards is).
d) Dulce going Berserk – this is where I’ve modified the Edge somewhat. Berserk is fun, but very powerful, which is why you have to roll to trigger it. However, I’ve ruled that to ‘snap out of it’ needs the Smarts roll @ -2 and until this is made the character is a danger to anyone near to him. Roll Fighting die and on a ‘1’ a target has been hit, roll damage as normal). Friends may help by yelling to the character (as Jim did), using Persuasion or Spirit as a cooperative roll.
e) The ruin has been added as an Encounter Site in my GM notes; I’ve stripped it down to: -
* A small rocky island, grey stone building. Entrance has steps down to a passage; large chamber contains 5 Skeletal Warriors guarding two large chests (2 x Pillage)*
f) The Combat system has been refined again and is now totally map less. It is also nasty; ALL of the Skeletal Warriors attacking Dulce in that first round could have had a fatal outcome.
Brass Jester
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scene: Six

Opening: Aboard the ‘Celaphon’, Gan and Dulce are wounded from the fights with the Skeletal Warriors.

Dulce refused any attempts at healing and ran below. It appeared that only Aurelianus knew anything about medicine; he attempted to heal Gans wounds. He was unsuccessful, but he did notice something strange. He called Jim to one side.

“English Jim”, he said. “The Red Man, he has many scars and marks from old wounds. They have been done deliberately; they form a map of some kind.”

Jim went to examine Gan and the old scars. Seen up close, they didn’t look to be anything; but from a distance they formed into marks and symbols. “This could be a ship, this looks like an island and this could be another ship?” One of the fresh wounds cut right across the markings. “We’ll have to wait until this heals”.

Aurelianus was interested; Jim saw fit to trust him as he would need a ship.

They weighed anchor and sailed north-west. The following day dawned clear with a good wind and the ‘Celaphon’ made good progress. Dulce emerged from below and joined Jim at the wheel.

“I am ashamed that you saw the demons that possess me. Some years ago, I loved a lady; daughter of a crafter. I was the son of a crafter; we were well matched. We took a small boat out on the water; a sea demon rose and attacked us. I do not recall everything; I grabbed my sword and fought the demon; alas, when I had driven it off, I was sorely wounded and my lady was dead; killed by the demon’s slashing claws. Now, I serve Torquemada as a hunter of demons; yet sometimes the demon’s poison takes control of my body. Only when they are all dead will I be free of the curse.”

Jim felt compelled to ask. “When we dock at Calib’s Rock I will need stout companions to help me. Will you join me?” Dulce looked out to sea for a moment; then turned back. “I cannot at this time. However, I will name you friend, English Jim.”

At mid-morning on 17th February they sighted land ahead; in the early afternoon the ‘Celaphon’ sailed into Calib’s Rock and moored. Jim and Gan went ashore to find lodgings and to enquire about the ‘Lady Evil’.

End of Scene Six

Threads
> The marks on his back have some relevance

Chaos
-1 to 5

NPC’s
Bronwyn, Ships Surgeon
Black Bob and his crew

Places
Baltimus
Unknown Whip Island
Calib’s Rock
GM Notes:
a) The whole map thing and Gan came out of a series of Events, Mythic questions and a Story Cube that was a map. So I hit on that Gan himself was the map
b) I’m very interested to see how Dulce is going to develop. The Mookmaker assigns three personality traits based on the Story Cubes; two of these are obvious and the third is a secret; to possibly be revealed when a Random event is rolled. Dulce’s Berserk Edge was a surprise to me; especially as I’d already sketched out his backstory with the death of his girlfriend. What could his Secret be?

Next Scene: Will be run using the Card Off-time system. I’ve already determined that the ‘Lady Evil’ will not dock until 24/02*; giving Jim and Gan seven days to wait.

* This was done using the normal sailing rules and taking into account the storm on 15/02.
Brass Jester
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scene: Seven

17th February 13 AF, in Calib’s Rock

Opening: Jim and Gan are in Calib’s Rock, awaiting the arrival of the “Lady Evil”.

Jim sat under a crude awning; nursing a flagon of grog and looked around at the town. They say first impressions count for a lot; Jim’s first impression was that it was a crap, wind-blown and rain-soaked collection of shanties clinging precariously to the seashore. There wasn’t even a decent tavern; just a slightly drier shanty where you paid a silver to sleep on the floor and drink grog.
Later that day they explored the town, such that it was. The rain was lashing down; yet still there were some street vendors out. One, a toothless human male, offered an egg-shaped object.

“It holds a great secret sir”. Jim stopped to look, but the man refused to let him handle it. “Only when it is sold to the right person. A fine seafaring man like you can easily part with eighty silver for such a treasure”. Jim didn’t have this sort of money available and tried some bargaining; to no avail.

18th February
The day dawned overcast but with no rain. Jim decided to walk on the strand; idly he pulled his pistol, aimed and fired at a seabird. The pistol misfired and exploded; burning his hand and arm badly. He threw the now-useless pistol down and headed back to the shanty tavern. It came as no surprise to find that there was no doctor in the town. Gan tried to treat it but Jim refused.

Later in the day, some trappers came into the town from the interior, bearing several skins and pelts. A night of singing and carousing ensued.

19th February
Most of the day was spent helping put the shanty back together after the night before. Gans wounds were healing, although the map was still not legible

20th February
Jim woke to see a Grael standing over Gan and aiming a kick at his head. He scrambled to his feet, ignoring the pain from his burnt hand. Jim did some fast talking while Gan got to his feet. It turned out that the Grael, called Hok, was one of the strongest people in town and had a somewhat easy life. Now he sees Gan as a threat to his easy living and wants a fight to settle the matter.

“It will not be fair”, protested Jim. “My companion is wounded.” Hok thought about this. “Then I shall win easily. We fight outside, now.”

End of Scene Seven

Threads

Chaos
+1 to 6

NPC’s
Bronwyn, Ships Surgeon
Black Bob and his crew
Hok, Grael thug

Places
Baltimus
Unknown Whip Island
Calib’s Rock

Reminders (yet another new list)
Jim 1W (Nat. Heal 23/2)
Gan 2W (Nat. Heal 24/2)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
GM:
All of this was generated using my Off-Time system

I decided to end the Scene because it was a Cliffhanger moment. I wanted to see if something Modified the next scene (as per Mythic); a Deus ex machine perhaps?

This is also a test of the solo combat system between two NPC’s; effectively the system will control both of them.

General Musings:
It is because of Natural Healing that I set up the calendar. I love the quirkiness of “Sundered Skies” and the pulp of “Slipstream”, but neither setting has a way of measuring time; so how can the GM determine the passage of time for healing etc.
The pulp way has characters fully heal between Scenes and I suppose you could phrase a Mythic question “Do they fully heal before the next Scene?” with a chance based on how they were cared for. This however can cause your calendar and timekeeping to go haywire.
Personally, I like the idea of characters having to decide whether to fight or surrender based on their Wounds. SW combat IS very dangerous and shouldn’t be entered into lightly
Brass Jester
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scene: Eight

20th February 13 AF, Calib’s Rock

Opening: Gan and a Grael called Hok are fighting to see who the strongest man in the town is. Gan is still wounded from the fight with the skeletal warriors on the uncharted island.

Word quickly spread about the fight and a large number of townsfolk were gathering to watch. Money was changing hands and wagers being taken on the outcome. Jim’s squanderous nature got the better of him and he wagered 30 silver on Gan to win; getting fairly good 3:2 odds.

Gan stepped into the circle drawn in the dirt, hefting his club. Then Hok entered the circle opposite Gan.The crowd roared, for the Grael towered over the Red Man. Jim stifled a groan, for Hok was carrying a barbed spear*

Hok wasted no time, with a loud grunt he levelled his spear and stabbed at Gan. The thrust missed; Gan hefted his club and kicked up mud into Hok’s face. Hok staggered back but recovered his poise and readied his spear. Gan bared his teeth and howled at Hok, who seemed taken aback; obviously this primitive savage was no pushover. Again Hok stabbed at Gan, this time the attack only just missed. Gan went fully defensive; seeking another way of getting an edge. He saw an opening and swung his club; the blow connected but bounced off the Graels rubbery hide. A second blow had the same result.

“He can’t hurt him”, thought Jim desperately. “That thing’s got a tough hide.”

A roar from the crowd brought his attention back to the fight; Hok had managed to stab Gan with the spear. The result was startling. Gan let out a bestial howl and his eyes turned blood-red; he gripped his club and began flailing around wildly.

“He’s another berserker! Is everyone I meet liable to go berserk?”***

Hok hesitated for a fatal moment; Gans club smashed into the side of his head with a sickening crunch and Hok fell, his spear falling from his lifeless hand. The crowd began to panic and tried to move backwards; but Gan just stood still and lowered his club. Moving over to Hok, he picked up the spear.

“Gans spear now.” No-one seemed inclined to argue.

Jim collected his winnings, a total of 45 silver. He learnt that no-one was sorry to see the death of Hok; he had been the town bully; using his strength and manner to get what he wanted. The townsman pointed Jim towards the shanty where Hok lived; “mayhap there’s something there?”

The shanty was dim and stank of old fish. Scattered about was a total of 70 silver. There was nothing else of interest.

End of Scene Eight

Threads

Chaos
Stays at 6. Calib’s Rock is fairly lawless; no-one tried to stop the fight happening

NPC’s
Bronwyn, Ships Surgeon
Black Bob and his crew

Places
Baltimus
Unknown Whip Island
Calib’s Rock

Jim 1W (Nat. Heal 23/2)
Gan 2W (Nat. Heal 24/2)

GM Notes
* A hasty write of a rule into the solo combat system to allow for Reach weapons.
** The solo system worked well. I was beginning to worry for Gan. Right up until the end couple of Rounds, he always had a lower initiative card than Hok. Due to Hok’s high Toughness and the low(ish) damage that Gans club did; Gan needed a Raise and/or some Acing to hope to take out Hok.
> Hok has a Toughness of 9(1) [9/13] and is an Extra. Gan has a club (Str+d4) = (d10+d4), so on average Gan does (5+2 = 7) damage when he hits; not enough to even faze Hok. If Gan gets a Raise then his average damage goes up to 10.5 (5+2+3.5), which will Shake Hok. Two such hits will take him down. This is why Gan tried the various Tricks and Intimidations to either get a bonus to hit or to Shake Hok first. The problem was, Hok always was able to recover before Gan could take advantage of any bonus gained.
** Gans wounds didn’t help either, giving -2 to almost every roll he made.
*** This was a surprise to me as well

General Musings
Who remembers Don Turnbull’s Monstermark system for D&D from the 1970’s? I’m trying to Savage it but I fear it is well beyond my mathematical ability to do it.
> The base was: Take a monster and calculate how many rounds (on average), it would take a 1st level fighter with a sword, to kill it. Then calculate use this to calculate how much damage (on average) the beastie would do in this amount of time. The result was a relative value of how nasty the monster was. Don bolted on a load of extra stuff to allow for special abilities (he WAS a maths teacher, I believe); however the base idea as given above is sound
Brass Jester
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game: The Currents of Caribdus
Scene: Nine

21st February 13 AF, at Calib’s Rock.

Opening: Following the fight with Hok, the townsfolk allowed Gan and Jim to take over Hok’s shanty. They spent some time cleaning it out and fixing the leaks in the roof. It was raining again; this seemed to be the normal weather for the town.

22nd February. Jim woke to find the door swinging open and his money (all 50 silver) missing. He secured the door and considered going out onto the street and asking around. He decided this would be a waste of time; so looked to see what he could sell. As his flintlock was FUBAR he decided to sell his powder and shot; that should net enough cash to live on for a short time.

Down in the market (if you could call it that), he was easily out-bargained and received a miserable 4 silver for his trade. “That’s not going to keep both of us for more than a day or so”.

Jim’s attention was drawn to a commotion down towards the docks, where a crowd was forming. A circle of people were watching a scurrilian who was carrying a leather-bound book in one gripping hand and a quill in the other.

“Attention, watch if you please”, the scurillian said. “I draw a figure, thus. I throw the page to the ground and... Behold! “. As Jim watched, the page fluttered to the ground, dissolving into dust which swirled upwards to form a humanoid figure. It walked around and performed actions as directed by the crab man; then abruptly it turned back to dust which was washed away by the rain. “Am I not a master of magic?”

“Is he/it really that stupid?” thought Jim. “Hard shell or not, someone is going to make a crab salad out of him for that book.” He stepped forward, Gan in tow. “This man is under my protection,” he said loudly. Gan hefted his spear and looked menacing.

“My name is Tusos. Are you in charge here?”

“Not as such. However, you would be wise to keep a low profile and keep that book hidden whilst you’re here.”

“Oh. Is this a pirate town then, like Brigandy Bay? I haven’t been there yet, but I’m hoping to. Eventually I’m going to visit every settlement, village, town, city and castle on Caribdus.”

“Why? What are you and why are you doing this?”

“I’m counting them. I’m going to tour round the whole of the world. I’m a tourist”

End of Scene Nine
Threads

Chaos
+1 to 7. The arrival of Tusos and his general naivety has complicated the situation, also Jim is broke.

NPC’s
Bronwyn, Ships Surgeon
Black Bob and his crew
Tusos, naïve Scurrilian tourist with a magic book

Places
Baltimus
Unknown Whip Island
Calib’s Rock

Jim 1W (Nat. Heal 23/2)
Gan 2W (Nat. Heal 24/2)

GM Notes
OMG!
If I had needed a demonstration of where the Game can take over and go off on a curve, this was it!

Now, Mythic GME does give a ‘get-out’ clause in that “if you can’t make up something quickly, then forget it.” Playing solo, you can afford to ignore this rule. In this case, I had to.

The dice and card draws gave me a non-human with an unusual item. A couple more rolls/draws told me he was a Scurrilian, but he wasn’t an Elementalist. He did have a magic item. Some more rolls – the item was a book and it cast a Summoning spell. Hmm. The only Summoning spells known on Caribdus Summon Elementals – not something I wanted Jim and Gan to face at this time.
OK, so the book casts Summon Ally. I came up with the concept of to cast the spell you draw a picture on a blank page and tear it out; the figure come to life and acts for 3 rounds. Regardless of what you draw, you get the same Ally (sb.)
Why is the Scurillian (a quick roll on a Name table gives Tuvos – the letter T starts me thinking?) showing off this Book the way he is? Roll personality – he’s naïve and stupid. Would he really do this though?
Thinking back to the way the Savage Gamers play in ‘Beasts and Barbarians’, the answer is ‘yes, he probably would.’ Mythic confirmed this.

So, I’ve got a Scurillian with a magic book that casts a spell unknown on Caribdus, yet all he can think of to do with it is to “show off” to the locals. He wants to visit everywhere on Caribdus so that he can count the number of places he has visited. The image of Twoflower (from the Discworld), sprang to mind and so Tuvos the tourist was born.
----------------------------------------------------------------
THE BOOK OF SUMMONING A FRIENDLY FACE
Book, Quarto-sized
Has 2d6+12 pages when found, pages are blank. Once they are all torn out then the magic is gone.
*When any figure is drawn on a blank page and the page torn out, then this acts a Summon Ally spell (as per CR). No Spellcasting roll necessary. Anyone can use the Book.
Duration: 3 Rounds (cannot be extended)
*Regardless of what is drawn, the summoned Ally has the following stats: -
6.6.6.6.6 // 6.5.5 // (5/9)
Fight 6, Notice 6
*Construct: +2 Recover
*Fearless, Immune to Fear and Intimidation
*Damage (Str + d4) (regardless of what weapon they are drawn with)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Brass Jester
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opening:
Jim, Gan and Tusos in their shanty in Calib’s Rock, awaiting the arrival of the ‘Lady Evil’

23rd February 13 AF

A deputation arrives in the morning; the townsfolk want Gan to defend them against Black Bob and his crew, who usually just take what they want. He has already killed Hok, who was a member of the crew.

Jim sat back and thought a while. The ‘Lady Evil’ is a Hoy; which usually has a crew of 8 and a gun crew of 4. Hok is dead, Gan is here and Bronwyn... well, let’s assume she won’t fight with the pirates. So, Me, Gan and Tusos (with his book) are facing between eight and ten pirates, including Black Bob. He went down into the market place and called for attention.

“My friends”, he said. “We have been asked to defend your fine settlement against the ravages of Black Bob and his scurvy pirates. I and my companions will do this and rid you of him forever. Are any of you with me?” To his astonishment, the crowd backed off quickly and began to disperse.*

“No no, Sir Jim”, said Carlin Rost the wine merchant. “We are not fighters, just simple tradesfolk. If we rise up against Black Bob; his revenge would be terrible. But you will prevail against him; after all, Hok was his strongest fighter.”**

Jim was devastated. His first instinct was to abandon the town to its fate; but that would mean leaving Bronwyn.

“Do not worry, my friend”, came a voice at his ear. “I will fight with you.” Jim turned to see the pale, haunted face of Dulce Decorum the Masaquani Questor. Jim breathed a deep sigh. They might just have a chance.

They spent the remainder of this day and the next day making plans; Jim and Gan healed all of their wounds***

End of Scene 10

Threads

Chaos
No change; stays at 7

NPC’s
Bronwyn, Ships Surgeon
Black Bob and his crew
Tusos, naïve Scurrilian tourist with a magic book
Carlin Rost, wine seller in Calib’s Rock

Places
Baltimus
Unknown Whip Island
Calib’s Rock

Reminders

GM’s Notes
* Jim rolled a Critical Fail; I don’t allow re-rolls on these. Gan and Tusos failed to make an impact.
** Bullshit
*** The card draw came up as ‘Options’, a very powerful draw allowing you to do almost anything (take an action, heal, translate a scroll, learn a spell, contact an NPC etc.) In this case, both Jim and Gan elected to heal and succeeded in healing all wounds. A bit met gamey, but they are heroes!

Again, an example of where Mythic can take over and push you in an unknown direction. It is VERY easy to override this and ‘do your own thing’. When using Mythic, DON’T PLAN AHEAD! Just let events unfold.

Next Scene: Jim, Gan, Tusos and Dulce against the pirates and Black Bob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: