Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage Space completed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crumbs
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make starships only take damage from weapons labeled with a designator and give that designator to all weapons on a starship and any ground based weapons designed to defend against them like the ion cannon on hoth. As for scaling starship weapons against non starships I would start at a +10 to damage and go up from there.
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was thinking about this last night Smile

I was wondering whether it was a mistake to keep the ships slavishly to character traits, such as Strength and agility, and that maybe the High space route of simply choosing new traits (FTL, dispalcement etc) was better.

However using normal character traits does mean familiarity, ease of use and they work well with some of the other subsystems Chaosmeister has out into Savage Space.

It then occured to me that altering Secondary characteristics is the way to do things, specifically how Toughness is calculated.

(please bear in mind the actual figures haven't been play tested yet)

Instead of Tough = Vigour/2 + 2
For Spaceships, Tough = Vigour/2 + 16

This gives a basic range of 18 to 22 or 18 to 27 if the Large, Huge and Gargantuan edges are allowed in the setting.

This does mean that weapon damages have to be increased in type and/or number but this is a good thing. It means that spaceship weapons now do enough damage to be a real threat to normal heavy armour vehicles without any fiddly adjustments to the system.

(Either give them AP = 100 or keep the spaceship weapons ignore vehicle armour rule)
samuraicrab
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read it. I love the book overall but, I have one minor gripe. There are no listed aliens.
Chaosmeister
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Steelbrok Hm it is an interesting approach but kind of defeats the whole "Numbers for ships and characters are the same" angle. It is not a bad idea though. I toyed also with the possibillity of simply stating "All Spaceship guns add flat +10 against everything. But maybe by simply doubling the damage the effect would be the similar. I want to avoid big numbers in toughness and damage rolls as much as possible. The "Power creep" is my only gripe with SW, the Toughness numbers get ridiculous.

@samuraicrab: Glad you like it! The omission of Aliens was a conscious decision. Creating aliens in SWD is really easy. I wanted to create a toolbox but in that case it was not necessary because the tools are already available in the core rules.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: