Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crafting Mundane Items

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCNavratil
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Crafting Mundane Items Reply with quote

Hey ladies and gents, I hope all is well. I'm in the middle of working on an Iron Kingdoms conversion, and I have a player looking to make a blacksmith character. I have no issues allowing this, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to handle crafting with savage worlds.

I know how it is handled in D&D, but being that there is no "DC" there really is no way to determine the amount of time it takes, the cost, etc...

Now, I have read the following: http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25624&highlight=crafting and like several of the ideas therein. Basically, I'm going to go with a Repair/Craft skill and whatever associated Knowledge skill. The player will roll whatever is the lowest of the two skills.

I'm not much sure where to go from there though. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
RCNavratil
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has any suggestions? My game starts on Sunday, so I'd like to have some sort of idea in place.

I was thinking of simply setting up a table of typical items with an arbitrary number of successes required per item, but I don't know how well that'd mesh with the system.

Still hoping I can get some insights from you guys, please?
robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCNavratil wrote:
No one has any suggestions? My game starts on Sunday, so I'd like to have some sort of idea in place.

I was thinking of simply setting up a table of typical items with an arbitrary number of successes required per item, but I don't know how well that'd mesh with the system.

Still hoping I can get some insights from you guys, please?

Here are some thoughts:

Do some research on the average amount of time it would take an artisan to create a specific item (or wing it for mundane items like horseshoes.)

Then, give the player a DC of 4 to create the item. If they want to create a better item, they may take -2 penalties to the roll.

give them options like:
Increase AP by 1
Increase hardness of object by 2
Ornamental - Increases Sell price by 50%
Disguisable - Used for cane swords and the such, adds +2 to stealth rolls to hide the weapon.
Etc.

Rule that every option other than ornamental increases the sell price by 25%.

Then take the average historical time. Increase it by 25% for each modification.

Figure the cost of making the item is 50% of the final sell price.

Also, the blacksmith can modify a currently existing item, but can only add one enhancement to the item. Also, doing so after the fact is increadibly difficult compared to making it from scratch. It requires a roll at -4, and will take as long as making the item new.

Failure means the time was wasted, a critical failure means the time was wasted and all the materials were somehow ruined.
RCNavratil
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These ideas are certainly interesting. I think you are onto something here. What do you think about having to make multiple checks along the length of the time required to create the item?
Ryche
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spit balling here...

To craft an item the character make an appropriate trait test. For a success and each raise he gains a token (this represents the work completed). When he accumulates a number of tokens equal to the (base price / 50) minimum of 1, with each check being made after each ten hours of work. For items costing 50 or less. Additional raises on the skill test reduce the time spent by half. Such that with one raise the time for the test was 5 hours, with two raises it would be 2.5, with three 1.25 hours, etc.

Assistants may help with a cooperative roll. A failed roll means no work was done. A 1 on the skill die reduces the number of accumulated tokens by 1 -- this may reduce it below zero -- the crafter ran into a small complication, etc. With a critical failure the item is ruined and the crafter must start over.

A Long Sword, costing 350 would mean the character would need a total of 7 tokens to complete it. He would then make a skill roll each ten hours of work, once he accumulated 7 tokens the weapon is done. Small items should be lumped together and treated as one item for the test. For example, 20 horse shoes cost 50, therefore with a successful skill roll, all 20 shoes are made during the one check.

This also assumes the crafter has the right tools or suffers an additional -2 to the trait test. Other modifiers may apply as the GM sees fit based upon complexity of the item (such as forging plate armor may impose an additional -2 penalty). Additional bonuses as suggested by Robert may also modify the roll.

Last edited by Ryche on Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord Karick
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R˙che wrote:
Treat it somewhat like a dramatic task from SWD.

RCNavratil
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies! I knew you guys would pull through for me on this. I read through the Dramatic Tasks a week ago, and then promptly forgot all about them. I will certainly go back and reread them.

Ryche: I like your idea here. Since I'm running a module designed for D&D 3.5 though, I kept the standard d&d pricing for all items for the sake of ease. I think with a bit of juggling with your formula though, I can get it to work.
77IM
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the actual Knowledge (Blacksmithing) skill, I think there are two ways to do it.

1. If it doesn't have any real mechanical benefit (just making things that you could have purchased easily), then don't allow the player to buy this skill, just use the Common Knowledge rules instead. The character has a blacksmithing background, so whenever that comes up, they get +2 on their Smarts checks to know about it.

2. If it does have a mechanical benefit, like robert4818's options, then an actual Knowledge (Blacksmithing) skill is appropriate. Just make sure it's somewhat balanced. This can be tricky, so make sure the players know that it's a "work in progress" and might need to be nerfed if it's too weak.

-- 77IM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: