Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coolest Bibliopathy Targets (and a question or two)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PsyBomb
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Coolest Bibliopathy Targets (and a question or two) Reply with quote

So, I'm making my first Librarian ever, and only just realized just how awesome and entertaining that power truly is. My guy dropped a lot of juice to get it high to start (an unintentional pun, as his Veteran gave him a hankerin' for Spook Juice), and I ended up with 4 good characters:

1) Dr. Gregory House
2) James Bowie
3) Jason Bourne
4) Cyrano de Bergerac

Anyone else here ever have a truly entertaining personality or two, especially ones off the beaten path?

Anyway, I also have a question about the Edges and Hindrances taken while in a Bibliopathic state. My example is House, though his severe limp is a very physical defect, could I take it and obey it as the character can't use the leg right? Also, how do you calculate Character Points from edges and hindrances, I'm not quite sure myself.
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking about this the other day. I figure Griffin (HG Wells' The Invisible Man) would be a fun character to draw from. Although you won't actually be invisible, Griffin was quite skilled at Sneakin'. You would also get some crazy high Science skills, Persuasion, and Filchin'. Unfortunately, you'd also be incurably insane and very violent.

Edit: Of course, the question of the day is whether or not the figure has to be human. If any fictional character is fair game, it would be wild to channel someone like Bugs Bunny. Bugs Bunny is also incurably insane, but would have a bunch of high skills like disguise, persuasion, flyin', artillery (IIRC), and probably edges like Level Headed and The Voice.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Bowie was a real person - even in Deadlands. That makes him invalid as a bibliopathy option. Sorry.

Edges are worth a number of bibliopathy points equal to the Edge cost. Similarly, Hindrances reduce the cost by the hindrance value.
King Snarf
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler Durden (Fight Club)
Roland (The Dark Tower series)

Check out my author page!
PsyBomb
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I'll need to check with the Marshal on James Bowie, then, I figured that whether he was real or not he's the subject of a LOT of "Tall Tales" and would be ok. Any other decent wilderness survivalists? The only good ones I can think of off the top of my head were either also real (Davie Crockett) or aren't QUITE best known for their survival skills (Eli). Actually...

***SPOILERS FOR "The Book of Eli"***

Thinking about it, Eli might just be a better choice, though I'd need to find a way to represent his blindness and "Sight by Faith", since he was a major survivor in a different post-apocalyptic setting.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsyBomb wrote:
Hmmm... I'll need to check with the Marshal on James Bowie, then, I figured that whether he was real or not he's the subject of a LOT of "Tall Tales" and would be ok. Any other decent wilderness survivalists?

Aragorn, Ranger of the North, Lord of Men.
You can pull characters from any fiction. Including fantasy fiction. Why not shoot for the moon?
Conan the Cimmerian.
Grey Mouser or Fafhrd.
John Carter of Mars.
Ruger
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsyBomb wrote:
Any other decent wilderness survivalists? The only good ones I can think of off the top of my head were either also real (Davie Crockett) or aren't QUITE best known for their survival skills (Eli).

This is kind of cliched, but...

Drizzt Do'Urden...ranger from the Forgotten Realms series of DnD...I don't remember exactly what all the ability gives to you, but Drizzt was a survivalist (especially in arctic, mountainous and temperate climates), used two scimitars with EXTREME proficiency, is very stealthy, is a fair archer, and knows alot about various monsters (in his setting), among other skills...

Of course, you would have to be very honorable (although he is a drow, he does have a fairly rigid set of rules by which he abides...he may ambush enemies (especially those that outnumber or outclass him), but he has rules about how he treats others), and is also hampered by a large amount of angst about his place in the world...also, VERY loyal to his friends (they have quite literally gone to hell for each other)...

Ruger
Marshallintraining
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually felt Hannibal Lector would be quite a cool choice for a hell of a lot of skills. In fact after reading the Bibliopathy power I actually was considering running a one shot where a Librarian has gone off the deep end channeling someone of that nature, a deeply unpleasent person whose psyche had overwritten the Librarians. Not a fun position to be in if you're hired to bring the person in for treatment.
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marshallintraining wrote:
I actually felt Hannibal Lector would be quite a cool choice...

Wait. Wouldn't that make your posse a touch uncomfortable? Also, wasn't Hannibal into eating folks? That's mighty close to becoming a Wendigo.
Templar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marshallintraining wrote:
I actually felt Hannibal Lector would be quite a cool choice for a hell of a lot of skills. In fact after reading the Bibliopathy power I actually was considering running a one shot where a Librarian has gone off the deep end channeling someone of that nature, a deeply unpleasent person whose psyche had overwritten the Librarians. Not a fun position to be in if you're hired to bring the person in for treatment.

That's actually a really neat idea, I rather like it.
PsyBomb
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so TOTALLY stealing the Hannibal Lector idea for my own games, "THIS is why you don't make 400-point Characters"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: