Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[50F] Ship Combat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NinjaMonkey
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: [50F] Ship Combat Reply with quote

Just need to preface this with the understanding that using the old Chase rules isn't an option. My group wasn't a fan of them. I'm not a fan of them. I do however love the new Chase rules and we'd like to use them for the ship combat in 50 Fathoms in place of the old Chase rules.

Crossing the T I get with the new Chase rules. Have advantage and success on a Force manuever I would assume would allow you to bring half your cannons to bear.

And I would also assume that a Boarding action would just be Advantage and a successful Force manuever and throwing roll.

What I don't understand is how to apply the advantage for the Grappling Gun for boarding actions with the new Chase rules. Should I just give them a flat bonus, like +2, to their Force manuever roll? How would yall handle it?
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact means the ships have spotted each other. Run as in 50 Fathoms.

Close Quarters means that the ships are finally in engagement range. Run a standard Chase (as per your core rules, Deluxe Edition in this case).

Boarding is a Force maneuver followed by a Group Throwing roll (+2 for ideal equipment is reasonable). Success ends the chase and begins a standard combat / mass battle (different Captains handle this one different ways).
Crossing the T requires a Force maneuver and being at Short range (King +). If you want this devastating trick to be more common then you can require a simple Force maneuver.

I hope those suggestions help some. Good luck.
NinjaMonkey
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that helps a bunch. I was ok with allowing the Cross the T manuever whenever they have advantage for 2 reasons. 1. The penalties involved can be pretty steep already, from -2 to -6 for the manuever AND the shooting roll based off range. 2. If its good for the PCs its good for the GM Smile
Harlan
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:

Could someone expand the rules for this phase a little?

I'm very interested in 50F-Deluxe naval combat, since I might soon run a Caribdus Campaign myself (I would defininitely pick up the new edition, then!) but I am already captaining a proud vessel in the Sundered Skies, and looking for appropriate Deluxed Setting Rules (unfortunately, Mr. Dave Blewer has not yet given us much insight on his thoughts about his setting and the new Core Rules).
MagusRogue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that in the Explorer's Edition, some things have changed. Crossing the T is now a tabletop maneuver, requiring opposed Boating rolls at short range and the ship needs to be perpindicular to the opposed ship (note that the mention of a Force maneuver is errata). Guessing failure is just a broadside, allowing the other ship to return fire. Since the Chase rules in Deluxe deny people the ability to fire back if you have the advantage, pretty much assume that you're almost always crossing the T in chase, only your card determines how many cannons you're able to use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Harlan
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harlan wrote:
ValhallaGH wrote:

Forgotthemagicword:

"please?"

Wink
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harlan wrote:
Harlan wrote:
ValhallaGH wrote:

Forgotthemagicword:

"please?"

Wink

Actually, I'm not sure it's clear what exactly you're asking for.

Do you really want the rules expanded? That sounds like a request to have someone add more rules to the existing Contact rules.

Or is it a request for someone to expound on them, meaning explain them more.

It's a bit confusing because the Contact rules aren't really different in the new 50 Fathoms; SW Deluxe didn't affect how they work.

So, I don't think it's lack of politeness, but confusion that may be leading to the lack of responses.

www.peginc.com
tylermo
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran and played parts of 50F in the past, but never finished the plot point. Despite having played Savage Worlds since 2004, my experiences with vehicular chases and combat is limited. Maybe some original 50F boat battles. Starting 50 F for the gajillionth time, so I need to look at deluxe and my new 50 PDF to see how it works now. I'll keep an eye on this forum.
Harlan
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
I don't think it's lack of politeness ...

Of course not, and I hope I didn't imply this? - my apologies, then!

Actually, your answer HAS already cleared my foggy question. I wanted to know - broadly - if the rules for the Contact phase haven changed between the older and the newer edition; apparently they haven't. - so thank you!

Still curious about the new setting rules which apply in the Chase phase of combat, though. Does ValhallaGH's post from above sum it up? You know, I'm pretty excited about the new chase rules, and since 50F is all about ships, there is much to learn from this Deluxed setting for the Sundered Skies.

For instance: is a Boarding-attempt really allowed at all distances or is Advantage with a King+ necessary?

And: are different cannon-ranges somehow reflected in the new 50F chases?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: