Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SWEX to SWD - changes and additions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greyseerco
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charisma no longer modifies the Reaction Table.

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32433
kreider204
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks. And here I was starting to think we had gotten everything already! Smile
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious, does the no PP magic option cover the Weird Science AB as well?
Bernd
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelbrok wrote:
I'm curious, does the no PP magic option cover the Weird Science AB as well?

Yes it does.
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
grendel2175
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steady Hands is different now. It now only reduces the unstable platform penalty to a -1, but it also applies to running.
Evil Mike
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grendel2175 wrote:
Steady Hands is different now. It now only reduces the unstable platform penalty to a -1, but it also applies to running.
\

That's not how I read it. It says the hero ignores the unstable platform penalty and reduces running penalty to -1 instead of -2.
grendel2175
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your read is better than mine Smile
Evil Mike
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grendel2175 wrote:
Your read is better than mine Smile

For the first time ever!!!! Very Happy
Bloodwork
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to re-read this 3 times to make sure (and I'm still not 100% sure) but it seems that Extras go OK, Shaken, Incapacitated rather than OK, Shaken, Wounded, Incapacitated now.

"Heroism costs extra."
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloodwork wrote:
I had to re-read this 3 times to make sure (and I'm still not 100% sure) but it seems that Extras go OK, Shaken, Incapacitated rather than OK, Shaken, Wounded, Incapacitated now.

They've always gone OK, Shaken, Incapacitated.

You can run it differently, but that's how the rules have always read.
Bloodwork
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I was confused by this line from SWEX.

Quote:
With a raise or better, Extras suffer a Wound, and wounded Extras are Incapacitated

I thought it meant an Extra who is already wounded who receives another wound is incapacitated. Shouldn't it say "with a raise or better, Extras are incapacitated."?

"Heroism costs extra."
JackMann
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could. But there's more than one way to wound someone. For example, getting a success against a shaken extra. So it's easier to say that they take a wound on a raise, and then clarify that they're incapacitated on taking a single wound. It also helps tie it into the mechanics used for wildcards; that is, it works the same way, except that Wildcards aren't incapacitated until they take a fourth wound.
Harlan
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mass Battle is an opposed roll now (SWD 92), rather than two separate rolls, with a chance to diminish both stacks of tokens equally (SWEX 122).

SWD Mass Battle looks like a drinking game with the Ol' Janx Spirit - once you start to lose you will probably keep losing. I'd rather have my Pangalactic Gargleblaster in peace, then.
Ryche
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harlan wrote:
Mass Battle is an opposed roll now (SWD 92), rather than two separate rolls, with a chance to diminish both stacks of tokens equally (SWEX 122).

Not sure how I feel about that. Will have to test it out, but I like the opportunity of both sides taking casualties each round. Otherwise like you stated once you start losing tokens, you are almost surely out of the fight or going down quickly.
Batei
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Guts gone? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I am new to Savage Worlds and a little overwhelmed with the new editon on the horizon and learning the rules from the SWEX edition.

So, Guts is gone? How is someone's reaction to horrible things conducted now? I read a variant somewhere where it was suggested Spirit should be used. Is that what happens in the new edition?

I want to start a group and get off on the right foot rules wise if you know what I mean. If I change rules next month in the middle of a game... well you know how players and rules can be an issue.

Thanks,
Mike
grimmshade
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Guts gone? Reply with quote

Batei wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am new to Savage Worlds and a little overwhelmed with the new editon on the horizon and learning the rules from the SWEX edition.

So, Guts is gone? How is someone's reaction to horrible things conducted now? I read a variant somewhere where it was suggested Spirit should be used. Is that what happens in the new edition?

I want to start a group and get off on the right foot rules wise if you know what I mean. If I change rules next month in the middle of a game... well you know how players and rules can be an issue.

Thanks,
Mike

For the most part Guts is gone as a Core rule. It is now a Spirit roll.

Last edited by grimmshade on Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
kreider204
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, there's no reason to dive into SWD. All of the currently available settings use SWEX (or earlier editions, though there's not much converting to do), and there aren't really that many rules changes from SWEX to SWD (it's mostly expansions and clarifications), so switching later won't pose a serious problem.

With a couple of small exceptions, I myself am actually sticking with SWEX rules for the time being, and probably won't go to SWD until a later printing (hopefully one in the smaller digest size and one that includes the errata), and that will be a while from now (I'm guessing at least a year, but we'll see).

As far as your Guts question, just roll the Spirit die whenever you see something telling you to make a Guts roll - otherwise, it's the same rules.
grimmshade
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kreider204 wrote:
Frankly, there's no reason to dive into SWD. All of the currently available settings use SWEX (or earlier editions, though there's not much converting to do), and there aren't really that many rules changes from SWEX to SWD (it's mostly expansions and clarifications), so switching later won't pose a serious problem.

With a couple of small exceptions, I myself am actually sticking with SWEX rules for the time being, and probably won't go to SWD until a later printing (hopefully one in the smaller digest size and one that includes the errata), and that will be a while from now (I'm guessing at least a year, but we'll see).

As far as your Guts question, just roll the Spirit die whenever you see something telling you to make a Guts roll - otherwise, it's the same rules.

As a Counter-Argument I would like to say that I think SWD is a step up. The rules are streamlined, and the small tweaks that have been made are all pretty sweet. There are additions that I now find invaluable. Push, Interludes, Dramatic Tasks, Social Conflict, Bolt changes, Weird Science malfunction table, & the new Chase rules will see play at my table nearly every session. If you have the money, its a great book. Most of the errata is simple grammatical errors or clarifications.
On the other hand, many of the additions are possibly going to be made available on the website for SWEX owners. (as the new Chase rules were.)
chugosh
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that matter, just inform your players that they need the Guts skill in your game setting.

The rules are almost unchanged outside of Guts and the chase rules. Heck, my main setting has the setting rule that Gut skill is not used. Relax and do what's fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: