Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SWEX to SWD - changes and additions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crumbs
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watercraft rules are on page 100 but it looks like they removed falling out understandable since other than that they worked just like other vechicles. Haven't found capital ships yet though.
kreider204
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crumbs wrote:
Watercraft rules are on page 100 but it looks like they removed falling out understandable since other than that they worked just like other vechicles. Haven't found capital ships yet though.

I see damage rules for watercraft on page 100, but that's it.
Crumbs
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because that was all that was in EE under the Watercraft section. It even says they are treated like everything else except for the sinking and falling out rules.

If you read the watercraft rules on page 112 of EE you see that the only thing missing in SWD is falling out.

I think the lack of capital ship rules is more to the point of streamlining the vechicle rules since other than the range adjustments and an few differences in the critical hits table they followed all the same rules. I do wish they had kept the critical hits from EE for capital ships though.
kreider204
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crumbs wrote:
Because that was all that was in EE under the Watercraft section. It even says they are treated like everything else except for the sinking and falling out rules.

If you read the watercraft rules on page 112 of EE you see that the only thing missing in SWD is falling out.

I think the lack of capital ship rules is more to the point of streamlining the vechicle rules since other than the range adjustments and an few differences in the critical hits table they followed all the same rules. I do wish they had kept the critical hits from EE for capital ships though.

Gotcha, thanks.
Jonah Hex
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ogbendog wrote:
heh. no more 6 pp for 3x3d6 bolts

And, IMO, long overdue.

I was actually very surprised by this one. I've argued for years that the big damage spike from Bolt, especially when opening with it on enemy Wild Cards, was way too much - on these forums, in threads that included designers - and was always dismissed by the vast majority (politely, of course).

Just curious: are blast and Burst untouched. While Bolt needed a tune-down, doing it while making the other two significantly better may be a bit much. I've found in my Deadlands game that these two are as effective as bolt in many ways. The only reason I find Bolt a problem and not the others is the lack of Nova ability on the other two.

Habitual 4d6 on multiple targets. Ouch
Kakaze
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Blast and Burst can now ace so they are a bit better. Blast can be pretty nasty in big battles with lots of little baddies. I'm in a veteran level fantasy game with a big war that's starting up and the mage has been using blast to some pretty incredible effects.

Of course, everyone is pretty incredible at this point. We have a dagger throwing character who has Dead Shot, Marksman, Ambidexterous, and Two-Fisted. He killed a dragon in one hit with a raise/headshot...

Good times.
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify a little misnomerage that's been going around in a few places discussing the recent changes:

"Acing" refers to rerolling and adding a die if it gets its top number. Pretty much all damage (except for Breaking Things) can and has always been able to Ace.

For most attacks, hitting with a raise provided +d6 Bonus Damage. This did not apply to Area of Effect attacks in the past. Now it does (unless specified otherwise for some particular reason, though I'm not currently aware of any).
Talison
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is the general rule about things that first appeared as setting rules, are now in the SWD book, and are a bit different now? does the main book supersede the setting book?

For example, the Martial Arts Edges appear in Space 1889 but are different than the new ones in the new book. Similarly, Space 1889 gives you half your smarts die in languages. The similar rule in the new book gives you that plus a free native language.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talison wrote:
So what is the general rule about things that first appeared as setting rules, are now in the SWD book, and are a bit different now? does the main book supersede the setting book?

Ask your GM. Wink

Not too helpful when you are the GM. But the general guideline is that the Core Rules are simply the core - the Setting rules always trump the core, for that setting.
Talison
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, in this case I am the GM, but I was thinking to have setting rules trump core rules so I guess I'm on the right path. That said, is the martial arts rules really a setting rule or just a rules revision?
Locnar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is a question: how many things in SWD affect Showdown? Or should they even?
77IM
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The martial arts stuff is all new to the core. So I'd say that if the setting book includes a lot of martial arts rules that those are probably better thought out for that setting and should be used instead (e.g., Iron Dynasty or Deadlands). But if the setting only includes like one or two edges regarding martial arts then maybe it's not such a big deal and would be easier to just replace them with the new core book edges.

-- 77IM
Talison
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my point is they are the same Edge names with the same requirements but different effects. But using the new Core versions to replace the 1889 versions seems to invalidate the Pugilist Edge in 1889
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locnar wrote:
So here is a question: how many things in SWD affect Showdown? Or should they even?

We'll have to see when they put out new Showdown rules. (Assuming they ever do so; they might not. PEG is wily like that.)
JackMann
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talison wrote:
Well, my point is they are the same Edge names with the same requirements but different effects. But using the new Core versions to replace the 1889 versions seems to invalidate the Pugilist Edge in 1889

Setting rules trump core rules. However, it's ultimately up the GM which ones he wants to use.
kreider204
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more changes or additions?

Any chance a friendly neighborhood mod might sticky this?

EDIT: Sweet - thanks, mysterious but helpful moderator! Mr. Green
steamdriven
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like that guts is now a setting rule, great idea Smile

don't like some of edge names but that's not really a problem, just a personal thing Smile

the layout is cleaner, and is good on the eyes, the new art work is fantastic, what's with all the red armoured people? would like to know more! Smile

looking forward to buying a hard copy when it finally gets to the uk (most rpgs seem to get a bit lost and delayed getting to this fair isle, we are not hard to find, honest, just so you know, we're the funny looking island off the coast of france! Laughing Wink )

Last edited by steamdriven on Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Timon
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we are the flat bit north of France, where Amsterdam is.

Yes, what is the recurring theme with the (in my PDF) pink power armour? It looks like the Necropolis Spring Collection. Razz
DerFinsterling
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Only one try at healing per healer? So no more three rolls with a success each to remove 3 wounds, at the cost of 30 minutes (leaving less time for the other wounded in the group)?

Any explanation on this change?
Lord Inar
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerFinsterling wrote:
Really? Only one try at healing per healer? So no more three rolls with a success each to remove 3 wounds, at the cost of 30 minutes (leaving less time for the other wounded in the group)?

Any explanation on this change?

Not an official answer, but really it just makes it so that for serious healing you need more than one person with the skill. You can still get fully healed in 30 minutes, just by different people.
Best Internet page ever
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: