Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Professional edges with powers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Professional edges with powers Reply with quote

I'm working on a couple of professional edges for a setting conversion. In this setting, paladins have the ability to banish otherworldly beings, while "dark" paladins have the ability to control them. I think it's this setting's version of turning vs. controlling undead. These are abilities available to the classes, but not mandatory.

For paladins, I am thinking of giving them the Banish power and a pool of PP, along with another minor feature that reflects their class. For dark paladins, it will be the Puppet power for use on otherworldly beings only, a pool of PP, and a minor feature.

The idea is reflect the fact that these classes aren't full magic-users, and anyone who wants more power can easily take the AB: Magic edge, but for flavor, I want it to be there.

Does this sound reasonable? How many PP should they have? I was thinking 6, so they can use it twice before needing more PP. Should they not be allowed to take AB: Magic as well? (Maybe a GM could allow them to trade one edge for the other if they choose banish/puppet with the new AB).
Tavis
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than giving them a power, how about altering the "Holy/Unholy Warrior" edge. Drop the AB requirement and replace with 'be a Paladin' (assuming that is a professional edge)

To remove the need for power points give a spirit check to resist fatigue from the use of the power - banishing/controlling can be done, but is taxing to the user.

That gets rid of the awkward situation that could arise from someone taking an AB and the Paladin edge that you're positing - two pools of PP to track is awkward in my experience.

That's how I'd do it anyway.

SWD: 50 Fathoms (GM)
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm backing up Tavis on this one.

1) It's optional, which is the case in the source setting.
2) It's the equivalent of Turn Undead in Savage Worlds. Which still tracks with the described source setting.
3) 90% of the work is already done, which is easier on both the designer and the players. Refer to the No Power Points setting rule for ideas on adjusting the rules.
4) Tracking multiple pools of power point is a big headache. Some players handle it beautifully, but the majority get very awkward and confused during play.
5) It was the very first idea to come to mind.

I'd probably alter the Champion and Holy Warrior edges to remove the AB requirement. Then Champion is the "Paladin / Dark Paladin" edge and Holy/Unholy Warrior is the otherworldly-beings edge.
The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's close. Maybe even close enough. But, I want to see how close I can get. The source classes can actually banish or control the beings, not repulse them or do extra damage to them. In fact, champion and holy/unholy warrior are not entirely appropriate in the source setting, since there will be no AB: Miracles, and there isn't holy magic, per se. This would replace them.

The problem with mixing it with ABs is a good point. In the source setting, these are summoning powers, which are seperate from spellcasting, and thus a seperate AB in my conversion. Paladins/Dark paladins have limited access to these powers, and that's what I'm trying to represent. Mixing classes in the source setting is pretty dificult, so I think I would simply disallow players from taking both, although it's not a really major problem, IMO, to simply mix the PPs together. AB: Magic + Paladin/Dark Paladin is sort of like taking AB + half of a New Power + Half Extra PP.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dread Polack wrote:
It's close. Maybe even close enough. But, I want to see how close I can get. The source classes can actually banish or control the beings, not repulse them or do extra damage to them. In fact, champion and holy/unholy warrior are not entirely appropriate in the source setting, since there will be no AB: Miracles, and there isn't holy magic, per se. This would replace them.

Hence that extra 10% of work that I was speaking of.

Since the effects are much more limited (Outsiders instead of all supernatural evil), the results of success can be much better - though Wounding an Extra otherworldly being makes it Incapacitated, taking it out of the fight as certainly as banishing it from existence. The only time Holy Warrior won't "banish" the evil in one or two jolts is when the evil is a Wild Card, and ending that confrontation with one or two actions is dramatically lame.
For the evil folks, who don't have to worry about otherworldly good guys Question , the results can be a touch more complex. Victims that fail the Spirit roll are Shaken as they fight the control (still useful); a 1 on the Spirit die means that they are now allied (as per puppet).

And I never thought that Champion, in this setting, should keep the same requirements. But it's probably the greatest "that's a paladin" edge I've ever come across - which makes it the ideal starting point for any custom paladins.

Best of luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: