Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage X-Com?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kakaze
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Savage X-Com? Reply with quote

Has anyone savaged x-com? I've been playing the game a bit recently on steam, and it struck me that this would be an excellent world to play in.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Probably, but for the Do-It-Yourself types, I'd recommend starting with Necropolis, and reflavoring things a bit.
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy, I was just thinking about that.

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
Sean-Khan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been browsing through Savageheroes ( http://www.savageheroes.com/conversions.htm ) enough to remember this Smile
http://www.savageheroes.com/conversions/SavageX-Com.pdf

Among a million other games, This is something I'd like to GM some day! I even got a few horror(?)clix 'greys' for it. One of my favourite PC games of all times!

Shaper & Maker - modelling, gaming & a lot of other stuff
Kakaze
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty cool, but I don't think the enemies are tough enough. Grab some flying armor and you'd be tougher than the sectopods.

All in all, pretty cool though. I'm totally going to use it, thanks!
Sean-Khan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to produce some material for your game or tuning to that pdf please share them Kakaze Smile

I didn't check the document before. Armor values seem quite huge :O On the other hand, just a basic plasma rifle is doing 3d10 damage, so the armor won't guarantee your safety!

Kakaze
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely will.
ManMythLegend
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a conversion, but I need to make one post before I can post links apparently.
ManMythLegend
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if any of you on here are goons, but I've been running a Savage Worlds X-Com game over on Something Awful's gaming forum titled, X-Com: Life is Competitively Priced. It's been running for over a year now and has gotten lots of positive responses. Currently my team is on their fifth mission, a base assault, and have just completed psionic training.

While I'm not going to post my full conversion documents here right now, I don't want to run the risk of any of my players stumbling across this and spoiling some of the surprise, you can check out one of the UFOpedia pages to learn more. The X-Com (Savage Worlds) page contains character creation rules, while the UFOpedia main page holds all the crunchy bits such as gear, skills, and edges, while the other pages hold a lot of setting information I've put together.

I've also added a whole slew of house rules which can be found on the UFOpedia discussion page. Some of these are to accommodate the PbP format, and others I've added to try and capture the feel of X-Com missions.

Some hard core X-Com fans may not like some of the changes I've made to the setting, such as X-Com being a publicly known PMC and not some super secret UN thing, but I've tried to ground a lot of it in reality based on some of my experiences in the military and make it a little grittier then the original.

The game's not behind a paywall, so I hope some of you will stop by and give it a read. If you like what you see, buy an account, stop by the recruiting thread, and make a character.

We can always use more rookies!

Last edited by ManMythLegend on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:37 am; edited 3 times in total
Jose
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're talking about X-Com: UFO Defense here...I always wanted to found a savaged version of X-Com: Terror From The Deep. I love that game!
Kakaze
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ManMythLegend, you're game is great. I've really enjoyed reading it!
ManMythLegend
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kakaze wrote:
Wow ManMythLegend, you're game is great. I've really enjoyed reading it!

Thanks! I really appreciate the positive feedback!
Sean-Khan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManMythLegend, your page looks really cool!

Btw, any plans of adding more alien weaponry? Heavy plasma or Blaster? =o) Or is there separate GM's page somewhere? There's no alien stats either.

ManMythLegend
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean-Khan wrote:

Btw, any plans of adding more alien weaponry? Heavy plasma or Blaster? =o) Or is there separate GM's page somewhere? There's no alien stats either.

Yeah, more alien guns, and some stuff of my own devising, are going to come as the game progresses and they get "researched". The one thing that is not going to make it in is the Blaster Launcher. There is just no way I could find to balance it out so it wouldn't be an "I Win" button for either the aliens or the players.

As for the alien data, click on the "X-Com (Savage Worlds)" category link at the bottom of the UFOpedia. It will give you likes to all rest of the UFOpedia pages including the alien information that the players have learned. I tried to post a link to the master page in my first post, but the fourums didn't like it.
Kakaze
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way you make shaken harder to get rid of by soaking, yet progressively easier to get rid of over time. The squad bonus to shaken is good too-- I've been stun locked in a few games and its a real pain in the ass.

Whats your system for awarding experience?
ManMythLegend
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kakaze wrote:
Whats your system for awarding experience?

I generally give it out in 5 XP increments per mission so everyone gets an advance and can feel measurably better after each one. There are two exceptions.

1) Rookies get 10 XP for completing their first mission in being promoted to Squaddie.

2) At the end of each mission I let the team vote for their MVP (or two when the team was 12 deep). The MVP gets a 5 XP bonus for a total of 10 XP that mission.

The advancement table is in the UFOpedia discussion page if you want to see the relationship between XP, Rank, and SW Level.
Sean-Khan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManMythLegend wrote:
Sean-Khan wrote:

Yeah, more alien guns, and some stuff of my own devising, are going to come as the game progresses and they get "researched". The one thing that is not going to make it in is the Blaster Launcher. There is just no way I could find to balance it out so it wouldn't be an "I Win" button for either the aliens or the players.

As for the alien data, click on the "X-Com (Savage Worlds)" category link at the bottom of the UFOpedia. It will give you likes to all rest of the UFOpedia pages including the alien information that the players have learned. I tried to post a link to the master page in my first post, but the fourums didn't like it.

I don't see problem with blaster, there can be a number of balancing factors. Huge cost of ammunition and Blaster defense systems could be such. And, if a character carrying blaster gets in an explosion, there's a risk of ammo going off... And think of player reaction, if aliens blast their craft once the pc's have gone out scouting and the rest of the team (npc's) are still in! Or run one mission with player controlled npc's!

There could also be super-fortified alien structures or other situations where blaster is necessary - so saving those horribly expensive missiles is essential... Players might be happy to have such a weapon, toy with it for a while (let them have fun!), but then they realize they can't just blast everything. Using it becomes even more important as it destroys all elerium, alien alloys and those invaluable components.

I'll check the link, thanks!

Edit: Forgot to mention lab rats/hostages taken by aliens as a balancing factor!

Kakaze
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A blaster launcher is really more of an anti-armor weapon than an anti personnel weapon. If you made it not man portable it could serve as a wonderful objective in a big terror mission.

Or just get rid of it's hit anything anywhere tracking ability and make it a direct fire yet incredibly large damage weapon. Then its basically like your RPG-- super deadly but limited in application.
Sean-Khan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kakaze wrote:

Or just get rid of it's hit anything anywhere tracking ability and make it a direct fire yet incredibly large damage weapon. Then its basically like your RPG-- super deadly but limited in application.

Or, make it remote controlled, and see how far the shooter gets it! Very Happy It would be wonderfully exciting scene. It did sometimes go off before the target in the game.

ManMythLegend
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Savage X-Com game I was running on Something Awful had to come to an end. Since I no longer have any players to hide it from, it's time for my conversion to make it's public debut.

Here's a Savagepedia link. I hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by ManMythLegend on Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: