Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tales of Savage Worlds Ebooks?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Books & Dime Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Tales of Savage Worlds Ebooks? Reply with quote

With ebooks making up for around 10% of the market, I wonder if Pinnacle has thought about testing the waters of Game world based novels in eformat.

Maybe an anthology for Deadlands or a selection from the other campaign settings to start with. If it works out, it may inspire, perhaps pay for a hard copy print run. As a user of ebooks since 2001 and a gamer for even longer, I'd love to see this.

Opinions?
huscarle
Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Ebooks Reply with quote

I'd love to see it done.

I'd also like to see more advetures covering all genres to be made available.
Lee_Szczepanik
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daring Entertainment is actually looking at expanding into ebooks. Although there would naturally be the RPG-setting inspired fiction, for the most part it would be normal fiction from new and established authors we've been talking to. I actually have business experience in the book trade, from long before I ever started working on RPGs, so that expansion is something I really want to do.

The only problem right now is time. I need a larger staff than I have, currently.

For fiction, though, ebooks are actually more than 10% of the market share.

Anyway, on that note-- I'd love to see more Deadlands fiction! Wink
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool. One thing I do hope if Pinnacle and co. test the ebook waters is that they don't limit themselves to Kindle or at least not put DRM on the files if they do. That way, us nook (and other ereader) owners wont be left out because we can't access the file. We can convert it to epub or whatever format our devices can read.
Lee_Szczepanik
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeper wrote:
That's cool. One thing I do hope if Pinnacle and co. test the ebook waters is that they don't limit themselves to Kindle or at least not put DRM on the files if they do. That way, us nook (and other ereader) owners wont be left out because we can't access the file. We can convert it to epub or whatever format our devices can read.

While Kindle definitely has market share, all things considered, I think it would definitely be a bad choice for any ebook publisher to not support the normal epub format.
PEGShane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming soon. Smile

Shane
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee_Szczepanik wrote:
While Kindle definitely has market share, all things considered, I think it would definitely be a bad choice for any ebook publisher to not support the normal epub format.

Yeah, DRM prevents the use of the fantastic ebook manager, Calibre, from converting the format to another. I bought a nook as it has the ability to read most of the 175 and counting ebooks I've purchased over the last 10 years. and the few that couldn't be read instantly, I converted to a format that could.
Lee_Szczepanik
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEGShane wrote:
Coming soon. Smile

Shane

Wait, wait wait. You work at Cryptic again, too. That isn't their definition of SOONtm, I hope Mr. Green

(Sidebar: For those that never played City of Heroes, SOONtm became a running gag with them).

Sweeper wrote:

Yeah, DRM prevents the use of the fantastic ebook manager, Calibre, from converting the format to another. I bought a nook as it has the ability to read most of the 175 and counting ebooks I've purchased over the last 10 years. and the few that couldn't be read instantly, I converted to a format that could.

From a purely consumer standpoint, I'm still trying to decide between Kindle or Nook. It's a very close race . . .
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee_Szczepanik wrote:

From a purely consumer standpoint, I'm still trying to decide between Kindle or Nook. It's a very close race . . .

Unless you have a sizable library of non-pdf ebooks already, (Like I did), it comes down to how much you want to pay and for what. Kindle is cheaper than the nook by about $10-20 before taxes last time I looked. Nook Color has the ability to be a pretty decent Android Tablet with a software mod that unlocks the OS to bring it up to snuff. Though I am starting to see a bunch of Android Tablets that do that anyways for $100 less than the color.

As far as content goes, the big publishers are on both and the smaller ones make their content available on as many formats as they can.

One thing I do know is that eInk is much better than LCD/OLED under bright Arizona sun. Smile
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEGShane wrote:
Coming soon. Smile

Shane

Do you mean your products in more E-Formats or new setting based fiction or both

and who is writing the adventures of Virginia Dare: Trans Dimensional Eternal Heroin
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:

and who is writing the adventures of Virginia Dare: Trans Dimensional Eternal Heroin

Boy, I sure hope you meant Heroine. Because Trans Dimensional Eternal Heroin is just plain scary. Smile
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeper wrote:
VonDan wrote:

Boy, I sure hope you meant Heroine. Because Trans Dimensional Eternal Heroin is just plain scary. Smile

you only have to buy 1 fix. Wink
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshal kt wrote:
Sweeper wrote:
VonDan wrote:

you only have to buy 1 fix. Wink

I rolled snake eyes on spell check or lost the last "e" when I copy/pasted
TommyBrownell
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lurvs my Nook, so obviously I vote for anything in ePub format...=)
Granthar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know if you do decide to do a publishing guys!
I already have a efw waiting for a look over.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the announcement today! Smile

Shane
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetness!

I can only guess by "Graphically Enhanced PDF" you mean any pictures in the ebook are in color?

Looking forward to reading it.
PEGShane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures in ALL the works are in color IF your reader supports it. The PDF really just has backgrounds and a few other bits here and there that you can't do in an EPub.

Thanks!

Shane
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't make me go ut and buy an ereader just to get them.. the pdf's i can do, the computer will handle them.
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshal kt wrote:
don't make me go ut and buy an ereader just to get them.. the pdf's i can do, the computer will handle them.

Check out Calibre http://calibre-ebook.com .

It's an ebook management program that allows you to read a wide variety of ebook formats as well as work with a wide variety of readers. Reader not required.

Oh, yeah, and it's free.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Books & Dime Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: