Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Necromancer Edge in Horror Companion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahglock
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Necromancer Edge in Horror Companion Reply with quote

Do you still have to take the zombie power or does it come with the necromancer edge? Basically is it just a better version or does it improve it if you have it?
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It states that with the Necromancer edge that you can get the Zombie power as a Novice power. Having the Zombie power, and improving it, is the point of the edge. It would be stupid to have the edge and not get the power. Smile

To be evil is to live backwards
Ahglock
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feat says you can cast the spell at novice level, not acquire. I had initially assumed it was as you suggest until I tried to make a character with hero builder and the zombie power did not unlock after taking it. So it made me wonder if the zombie power effectively came with it or if hero builder just has a bug/issue with this edge.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take Necromancer and Arcane Background. Use Necromancer to make Zombie one of your Known Powers. Have fun.
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahglock wrote:
The feat says you can cast the spell at novice level, not acquire. I had initially assumed it was as you suggest until I tried to make a character with hero builder and the zombie power did not unlock after taking it. So it made me wonder if the zombie power effectively came with it or if hero builder just has a bug/issue with this edge.

Ah, I see now why there is confusion.

Hero Lab was naughty. Actually it is because, to my knowledge, there isn't a way to change the level of a spell from an edge within the Hero Lab framework. What I would do (and I am going to do myself, actually) is make another version of the Zombie spell called Zombie (Necromancer). Fill it in with the normal Zombie spell data, and then just make it Novice instead.

SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two options. In either case, the first step is to open up Savage Worlds with Hero Lab. You will need to open up the Hero Lab editor and have a user file.

Option one is for if you already have a user file. If so, just copy the Zombie power under Arcane Powers. Name the new power something like Zombie (Necromancer) and give it a unique ID of some sort (such as what I chose: powNecZomb). Change the Heroic to Novice. Change the cost from 3 to 2. Save it, and you are done.

Option two is to open up a user file from windows explorer or whatever, open it with word pad or some simple text editor. Add in the following into your user file:

<thing id="powNecZomb" name="Zombie (Necromancer)" description="This power is considered evil in most settings, and so is typically used only by villainous nonplayer characters such as necromancers, evil scientists, dark cultists, and the like.\n\nWhen cast, zombie raises a number of dead specified by the character when he spent his Power Points. The undead are immediately obedient, though perhaps a bit mischievous and literal-minded in their duties.\n\nCorpses arenít summoned by this ability, so there must actually be a supply of bodies available for the power to have any effect. The bodies donít have to be fresh ó zombie can raise servants that have been waiting patiently for centuries. Graveyards, morgues, and battlefields can all serve this purpose.\n\nWith a success, the dead remain animated for 1 hour. With a raise, they remain animated for 1d6 hours. With two raises, they remain animated for an entire day.\n\nCertain powerful necromancers may have improved versions of this power that are cheaper to cast and create permanent undead." compset="Power" summary="Animate dead bodies for 1 hour (1d6 hours with raise; full day with 2 raises)" uniqueness="unique">
<fieldval field="powPoints" value="2/Corpse"/>
<fieldval field="powRange" value="Smarts"/>
<fieldval field="powLength" value="Special"/>
<fieldval field="powTraps" value="Carving symbols on corpses, throwing bones, graveyards, &apos;leather&apos; books"/>
<fieldval field="powPrtPts" value="2/Crps"/>
<fieldval field="powPrtRng" value="Sma"/>
<fieldval field="powPrtLen" value="Spec"/>
<tag group="Powers" tag="Standard" name="Standard arcane power" abbrev="Standard arcane power"/>
<tag group="MinRank" tag="0"/>
<pickreq thing="edgNecroma"/>
</thing>

Ahglock
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: