Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crafting: Wyvern Hide
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Karick
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Crafting: Wyvern Hide Reply with quote

I recently threw a couple of wyverns at my players, which they dispatched with their customary aplomb. They decided to take some of the tough hide for making leather armour with, which I allowed them. Now I'm looking for some guidance regarding how strong to make the resulting leather armour. An additional +1? +2? We're low magic fantasy with magic items relatively rare. Any ideas or suggestions?
I should add that they didn't tan it themselves, they gave it to a local tanner to work.
Ryche
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say a +1, since it moves it in the category of chain armor at that point. So over all +2 to Toughness, but the weight of leather which should give it a fair bonus in that regards.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps treat it as reinforced leather (from the FC); +2 armour, or +1 if you're hit with a raise.

Or you could treat it as regular leather, but give them some other benefit - perhaps +1 Charisma in when dealing with military types, or a +1 bonus when making a Vigor roll against Cold hazards, etc.

Or treat it as chainmail, but slightly reduce the weight and upkeep costs (it doesn't rust).
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they go visit the tanner before he said it was done have them roll a guts check against the vats of urine, liver and brains
Lord Karick
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:
If they go visit the tanner before he said it was done have them roll a guts check against the vats of urine, liver and brains

LOL. Trust you to make a comment like that! Seeing as they were the ones who flayed the hide off the sorry carcass in the first place, I think I'd let that one go.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do something really interesting with it, and give them normal leather armor with a +2 to resist Poisons. Mr. Green

The benefit doesn't always have to be what the players expect.
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zadmar wrote:

Or you could treat it as regular leather, but give them some other benefit - perhaps +1 Charisma in when dealing with military types, or a +1 bonus when making a Vigor roll against Cold hazards, etc.

I like these ideas
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If wyverns are really dangerous, +1 cha, or +1 intimidate.
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your wyverns, it could give them Berserker for free while they're wearing that armor...whether they know it or not...
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are your wyverns kinda like the creatures the wraiths were riding in Lord of The Rings? How a out giving the a Hindrance instead? Pehaps Bloodthirsty?
Baiyo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they really want to trust that hide for armor? It clearly didn't protect the wyverns.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the left overs they should make over sized playing cards or a spell book
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a GURPS campaign our group of adventurers wore suits of wyvern hide. It was about as light as leather but tougher. I can't recall the actual armor rating, but it would probably be whatever the wyvern has. My character was an archer of awesome skill level and he killed them all with arrows to the eyes. In GURPS if you can get an eye shot it will go straight to the brain and do something like x4 damage. Their hides were left intact.

As people are suggesting, giving a benefit to wearing armor made out of the wyverns is cool. But merely wearing something's skin does not give powers, so maybe it would come out as a side effect if the armor is enchanted. Or maybe an alchemical process will bring it out; curing the leather with a certain chemical can give it wyvern powers. Some wyverns have a poisonous stinger, and their hide could provide resistance, or maybe even immunity, to poison.

To be evil is to live backwards
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like making it Reinforced Leather but it eliminates AP2. +2 Intimidation while worn and visible would be cool too. It's obvious it was made from some nasty monster and not just pedestrian gear.
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes
supercOntra
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe the inside of Wyvern hide is poisonous *evil grin*
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supercOntra wrote:
Or maybe the inside of Wyvern hide is poisonous *evil grin*

That WOULD give a reason why other people do not also wear wyvern armor. It wasn't that they are dangerous (although that is a factor), but it is because it is rather foolish to wear their hide. Smile

To be evil is to live backwards
Lysander
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll, it'd have to be lighter than typical leather; my reason being is that Wyverns fly and Cows do not (normally... pigs maybe...)

Razz
Very Happy

If it's a low magic campaign, I wouldn't give the hide much more than the regular stuff (+1 toughness?) but I like the the thought of + to intimidate. I might also allow it to enrage other Wyverns they might encounter.

(Hello, Mama Wyvern... My armor? Hmmm, it is the skin of your son Reginald I'm wearing, how about that... oh dear...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSReSGe200A
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing work research on You tube i came across mention of using dog poop in the first stage of tanning hides. Send the party on a quest to find magical dog poop from a cerberus that is needed to finish the Wyvern hide
Wirelizard
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:
Doing work research on You tube i came across mention of using dog poop in the first stage of tanning hides. Send the party on a quest to find magical dog poop from a cerberus that is needed to finish the Wyvern hide

All sorts of entirely disgusting substances have been/are still used in curing leather, as VonDan also mentions above!

Perhaps the poop of Dire Wolves is needed to properly tan Wyvern hide?
The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most basic thing is to either make it tougher than leather armor, but just as light, or like regular leather armor, only lighter. Maybe the process of converting it to armor doesn't necesarily make it tougher than regular leather armor. If it was my campaign, I'd make sure the players had to put in at least some effort to find the right person to make it. They could quickly get regular toughness leather armor that was lighter, but finding a better craftsman would mean better armor.

As for other effects? My first thought is, like SeeleyOne, that simply wearing a creature's hide doesn't give you special powers, but that depends on your campaign. You could justify almost anything. Pulling a surprise negative side-effect isn't the sort of thing that happens in D&D/Pathfinder, but if your players/PCs don't know everything there is to know about this sort of thing, then you can get creative.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: