Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage Scion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gobbo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Savage Scion Reply with quote

I am kicking off a Savage Scion campaign and have put together this file for my players... opinions?

http://www.filedropper.com/savagescion

http://gobbosforge.blogspot.com/

www.rockymountainsavages.com
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liked this a lot. Savage Scion using SPC is an idea I'ved kicked around but you've done well here.

Am I right in thinking that a Scion can use all spells from each of his Purviews? (Rather than taking each spell as a new power?)
gobbo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made some changes after going over the character creation with my players last night. I have removed the Purviews as they were confusing for the players and all decided to spend all their Ichor on innate abilities. The Purviews were intially set upo so players who did not blow all their Ichor points could cast spells, but were limited to only 3 Purviews at the start of the game and 2 more for each Rank they went up.

So there will be some changes to this PDF and I will repost once they are done.

steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they were a good idea in themselves.

I would suggest changing their name to Spell Pool or something instead of Purview and link gods to specific spell pools/purviews

Then you players can choose from a generic pool (sun gods) and their pantheon purviews

I would also drop Super Sorcery
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purview powers are things attached to relics in Hero anyway.

I read it last night and thought that it did well for Scion: Hero, but felt that if they got into Demigod or God that it would fall short. The one thing that White Wolf did beautifully was allow for characters to become Gods. And that is the one concern that I have with doing a Savage Scion game: players as Gods is a difficult thing to handle.

I thought that the power system blended SPC and FC very well.

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH
gobbo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I handled that by allowing powers in devices and allowing Super sorcery for those who want to cast spells.

newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gobbo wrote:
I handled that by allowing powers in devices and allowing Super sorcery for those who want to cast spells.

I must have missed the part about Super Sorcery. I wouldn't even allow Super Sorcery for the setting. It just doesn't seem appropriate to me having played both with Super Powers and original, rules-as-written Scion.

In Scion, the purview powers become accessible as Innate at Demigod, but at lower levels than with a relic and Innate at God, but using a relic gives a bonus. Also, there is a cap on attributes (and skills for Arete) at Demigod and Hero levels. It doesn't seem like you represented the shift from Hero to Demigod to God very well, but the Hero level is very well represented.

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH
gobbo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no purviews that I can see [powers from the Grimore] that can not be done as Super powers. Super Sorcery does not seem all that powerful as long as you don't let the players go hog wild. I mean, with only 10 points, they can only get 3 levels [unless they device it] and it requires them to take Spellcasting as a skill. As well as d8 in Spirit and Smarts. It has a pretty hefty price tag. It still comes from the 10 Ichor points that have and with not allowing them to increase that with edges, that means they can't boost themselves up.

newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gobbo wrote:
There are no purviews that I can see [powers from the Grimore] that can not be done as Super powers. Super Sorcery does not seem all that powerful as long as you don't let the players go hog wild. I mean, with only 10 points, they can only get 3 levels [unless they device it] and it requires them to take Spellcasting as a skill. As well as d8 in Spirit and Smarts. It has a pretty hefty price tag. It still comes from the 10 Ichor points that have and with not allowing them to increase that with edges, that means they can't boost themselves up.

Super Sorcery allows them to have any power up to double their level of Super Sorcery. It doesn't really fit for Scion, is all I'm saying. Are they allowed to use the device rule as well?

Mylon
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends really enjoyed the Scion setting, but the rules drove me to tear my hair out. Epic Dexteriy: Can't hit me! Epic Stamina: Can't scratch me. Epic Strength: Giblets for dinner!

I had a player design a super-dex character to ride around on a motorcycle with a lance and use speed to deal the kind of damage someone with epic strength ought to do. And super-dex means weaving in and out of trees on soft ground was not a suitable obstacle. The resulting argument about how cheesy that was killed the campaign.

That said, I'm not too sure Savage Worlds is up to the task of handling Scions. The power difference between extras and wild cards does not feel appropriate to the difference between Heroes and Mundanes. Unless you start getting into d12+4 levels for attributes, which does not work very well for Savage Worlds anyhow.
gobbo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Mylon Hence why i am doing the conversion!

gtdchuck
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Savage Scion Reply with quote

gobbo wrote:
I am kicking off a Savage Scion campaign and have put together this file for my players... opinions?

filedropper savagescion url omitted because the board objected

I'm interested in starting a "Savage Scion" campaign, and would like to take a look at the file mentioned above as a way of getting started, but it seems to have been removed or expired. Could you recommend a similar source or starting point? I've seen Suzerain and have the SPC, but am admittedly lazy and would prefer not to re-invent the wheel if possible.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can't provide the file, I can tell you how I handled it for my game.

Scion: Hero - Super Powers Companion using the Street-Heroes Environment, Super Karma, Inherent Power, Knockback, and Recurring Roles options. Trappings restricted powers to enhancements of innate abilities or birthright relics (Devices).
Scion: Demigod - Baseline environment, Heavy Hitters power level.
Scion: God - Cosmic environment, Major Leaguers power level.

It seemed to work very well for my group and my (short) campaign.

Good luck.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Supernaturalis rules were also designed to handle demigods. Characters aren't as strong as baseline SPC, but they can still become very powerful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: