Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Savage Pony
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackMann
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, some quick rules.

First off, sizes are adjusted up, say, two. The players should be the baseline, and most of them are going to be around horse-sized. Maybe a little bigger, but we can either fudge that or give them the larger size.

Most races have no hands. Gaining the ability to manipulate objects is pretty big, and is either going to be something on the order of a +3 racial ability or a seasoned edge. Possibly an AB that ultimately gives the ability to take human form.

Then again, since all of the races are essentially magical creatures, you could give every character Arcane Background (Mythical Creature), and let them take powers appropriate to their race. Probably model it after the Super Powers AB in the Explorer's Edition, or else after the SBC AB. So, the unicorn would take Healing, the Dragon would take Burst, etc.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackMann wrote:
First off, sizes are adjusted up, say, two. The players should be the baseline, and most of them are going to be around horse-sized. Maybe a little bigger, but we can either fudge that or give them the larger size.

Actually, I don't think that's a necessary assumption. At the very least, I'd argue that they should not be especially LARGE for horses, and based on what little we have to go by, I think that they should be significantly smaller.

After all, they are Little ... Ponies. Wink
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackMann wrote:

With MLP, the characters would be about Human-sized. As Jordan pointed out, they are little...

In the more serious version I proposed, you could assume that all characters are the same size -- whatever that may be. +2 for Horse-sized, for example. That would basically be a freebie. A player of a smaller race could make Small a racial Hindrance to make a creature that is smaller than the norm.

Quote:
Most races have no hands. Gaining the ability to manipulate objects is pretty big, and is either going to be something on the order of a +3 racial ability or a seasoned edge.

I've already got the "no hands" bit covered with a re-branded One Arm Hindrance. You take a -4 penalty on checks that require to hands or fine manipulation. If you want your creature to have grasping claws (say, a griffon), then don't take that Hindrance. Creatures capable of magic can always take the Legerdemain or Telekinesis powers to compensate for not having hands.

Quote:
Then again, since all of the races are essentially magical creatures, you could give every character Arcane Background (Mythical Creature), and let them take powers appropriate to their race. Probably model it after the Super Powers AB in the Explorer's Edition, or else after the SBC AB. So, the unicorn would take Healing, the Dragon would take Burst, etc.

Sure! That works. I've already sort of touched on that with the "Pony Powers" AB. Some of the ponies on the show have unusual abilities (I'm lookin' a you, Rainbow Dash!) that aren't magical but which can be replicated with the Super Powers AB.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SavageGamerGirl wrote:
I've already got the "no hands" bit covered with a re-branded One Arm Hindrance. You take a -4 penalty on checks that require to hands or fine manipulation. If you want your creature to have grasping claws (say, a griffon), then don't take that Hindrance. Creatures capable of magic can always take the Legerdemain or Telekinesis powers to compensate for not having hands.

If there is a Hindrance that you expect for most of the characters in a setting to take by default, you might want to take a page from Slipstream in this regard, and basically offer PCs a chance to take this Hindrance without it counting against their normal limit of 1 Major Hindrance + 2 Minor Hindrances. Basically, in Slipstream, where heroes are encouraged to be Heroic, you can opt to take the Heroic Hindrance and get an extra Edge in exchange (I forget the exact wording, and it probably wouldn't be appropriate to quote the whole thing here), without it counting against your normal Hindrance maximums. That way, if most everyone is expected to be Heroic anyway, you can still distinguish yourself by being Heroic *and* Curious, or Heroic *and* Blind, etc.

However, I'd like to note that, based on my limited exposure to the show, ponies with no demonstrable magical powers (except perhaps the remarkable skill to kick an apple tree and knock every single apple out of it at once, and into strategically-placed baskets) have proven adept at cooking complex desserts (apple pies, apple fritters, apple dumpings, apple ... well, you get the idea) - tasks that would normally probably require the use of hands. They just seem to do all this fine manipulation "off camera."

Perhaps this sort of a Hindrance therefore should be entirely optional even for more conventional ponies, as since this is a fairy tale setting, SOMEHOW they're able to do most anything someone with hands could do. (They just presumably cannot do it while galloping along and talking, because anything that could conceivably be used as a stand-in for a pair of hands is in use at the moment.)

P.S., Wendy watched the pilot with me, though it took some convincing, and she actually enjoyed it. I didn't know this before (I'm NOT terribly surprised), but she sheepishly admitted to, once upon a time, being a MLP fan back when she was a kid. Apparently her grandma got her some castle playset that included Spike the dragon, and she had Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash - her two favorites. While we were watching the show, she was pointing out incidental characters from the background and identifying them by name (I'll ASSUME she knew what she was talking about), so apparently there was some thought put into even the random ponies passing by in "Ponyville" in the cartoon.

I guess I should have gotten a clue back in a very strange campaign I ran where the party faced a Nightmare, and her character (Rose the Little Goth Girl) insisted on, rather than slaying it, subduing it and then turning it into her pet. I ended up making a "My Little Nightmare" picture to commemorate the feat (and one of my co-workers ended up putting the design on a mug).

All that said, she didn't express any interest in a MLP-inspired RPG setting. Alas! (I've been trying to find out some setting that'll appeal to her, since she dropped out of our group when I started up a zombie-themed campaign, and I was sort of hoping that a "MLP-gone-wrong" setting might be twisted enough that the rest of the group might be interested in it at least as a lark for a limited run. No such luck. I knew it was crazy anyway. Hey, at least I tried!)
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
I ended up making a "My Little Nightmare" picture to commemorate the feat (and one of my co-workers ended up putting the design on a mug).

That kicks some serious ass!!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
If there is a Hindrance that you expect for most of the characters in a setting to take by default, you might want to take a page from Slipstream in this regard, and basically offer PCs a chance to take this Hindrance without it counting against their normal limit of 1 Major Hindrance + 2 Minor Hindrances.

The Hooves Hindrance is built-in using the race creation rules. It's not a Hindrance they take, it's one they get for having no hands. In an MLP-styled game, I would certainly allow the extra Heroic Hindrance as per Slipstream.

Quote:
However, I'd like to note that, based on my limited exposure to the show, ponies with no demonstrable magical powers (except perhaps the remarkable skill to kick an apple tree and knock every single apple out of it at once, and into strategically-placed baskets) have proven adept at cooking complex desserts (apple pies, apple fritters, apple dumpings, apple ... well, you get the idea) - tasks that would normally probably require the use of hands. They just seem to do all this fine manipulation "off camera."

I think you and I are both overthinking things now, but in Savage Worlds most of that wouldn't require a skill roll anyway. It's just narrative background occurrences or could be handled with Common Knowledge.

Quote:
she had Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash - her two favorites.

I like them, too. It's neat to have rowdy, tomboyish Ponies for a change. They aren't ALL girly and frou-frou!

Quote:
---8<---SNIP AWESOME PICTURE--->8---

That is full of win. Laughing
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
Or, if you didn't want to go the alternate-universe route, so that you could count events in later episodes as canon (I haven't seen all of them, so I don't know what sort of material might be relevant), perhaps it's just that despite appearances, Nightmare Moon was still perhaps just a LITTLE bit resentful of being imprisoned for a thousand years, and so once more that "spirit of darkness" is born within her.

Cue the storm clouds, creepy spirits, et al.

The legend told in the pilot said that the stars would help Nightmare Moon escape her prison.

The stars... THE STARS! THE STARS ARE RIGHT! IA! IA! MY LITTLE CTHULHU FHTAGN!

http://spippo.deviantart.com/art/My-Little-Cthulhu-94509492

Equestria will be plunged into madness! Earth Ponies vs. Cthonians! Pegasi vs. Byakhee! Unicorns vs. Shoggoths!

Laughing
jeff
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erica, I think it's time you had your meds adjusted. Wink
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been inspired! Mr. Green

I might actually used my "Cthulhu comes to Ponyville" idea in a one-shot at an upcoming convention I'd like to attend. Laughing

A disturbed unicorn named Wildburr breaks into Twilight Sparkle's library and steals a book. The book is none other than the dreaded EQUINOMICON, a tome of dark magic written long ago by the Mad Arabian Abdul-Kadabra!

Wildburr plans to use the dark incantation in the book to bring about the rise of the Great Old Ones and plunge Equestria into a darkness far more horrible than anything Nightmare Moon had planned! Twisted Evil

It's up to the six heroes of Ponyville to find him in the Everfree Forest and stop him before it's too late.

Silly, with a dash of serious. Just perfect for a one-shot at a convention. Mr. Green

Last edited by SavageGamerGirl on Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff wrote:
Erica, I think it's time you had your meds adjusted. Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je4Qac4L0qg

#freak
Alcamtar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Savage Pony... isn't that what Conan rides? Smile When I saw the title for this thread, it made me think of a cute littke pony... with shark teeth.
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alcamtar wrote:
My Savage Pony... isn't that what Conan rides? Smile When I saw the title for this thread, it made me think of a cute littke pony... with shark teeth.

No, not quite. Laughing

Other fans might do fan art or fan fics; I lack talent in those areas and my interest is RPGs, so this is basically my contribution as a fan and a gamer.

If nothing else, think of it as a testament to the versatility of Savage Worlds. You can run zombie apocalypse games, superhero games, horror games, modern thriller games, pulp games, sci-fi games, fantasy games... and My Little Pony games. Mr. Green
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
Perhaps this sort of a Hindrance therefore should be entirely optional even for more conventional ponies, as since this is a fairy tale setting, SOMEHOW they're able to do most anything someone with hands could do. (They just presumably cannot do it while galloping along and talking, because anything that could conceivably be used as a stand-in for a pair of hands is in use at the moment.)

In recent episodes, the Ponies seem to be using their hooves as hands more and more often. It might just be an animation shortcut, but they still use their mouths for a lot of things too.

I might scale the "Hooves" racial hindrance back to a -1, and reduce the roll penalty to -2 instead of -4. To balance out that reduction, I can scale the "Fleet-Footed" racial advantage back to +1 and reduce the Base Pace to 8 instead of 10.

That should keep things roughly in tune with the show. Mr. Green

And I really am putting too much thought into this. Embarassed

Last edited by SavageGamerGirl on Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Sample characters!

Mr. Green

I plan to make up a few more, and if I ever do decide to run my silly "Ponyville Horror" game at a convention, I'll use them as pregens.

Last edited by SavageGamerGirl on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since being a pony is the norm, I wouldn't give any hindrance for using hooves. Just give a bonus to those critters who have hands!

A quick question: We got ponies with wings and ponies with horns, but there are also ponies with neither, like AppleJack. Are they what's reffered to as Earth Ponies? And do they have any magic?

EDIT: Shoulda looked at yer pregens first! Rolling Eyes

SteveN
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earth Ponies have no obvious magical powers in the show, but to cover the "special talent" that ponies of all breeds are said to have I'm using the Super Powers AB. This also handily covers the pegasi's ability to manipulate the weather and other tricks.

There are murmurs in the fandom, however, that Pinkie Pie is the exception to the power-less Earth Pony. She might well be a reality warper more powerful than any pony in Equestria, including Princess Celestia herself.

Either that or she's a lost Looney Tune who somehow wandered into a different show... Laughing
Yondalor
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SavageGamerGirl wrote:
There are murmurs in the fandom, however, that Pinkie Pie is the exception to the power-less Earth Pony. She might well be a reality warper more powerful than any pony in Equestria, including Princess Celestia herself.

If she ever makes an appearance in your game, she should totally be able to metagame while the other NPCs go "WTF? O.o"

"Well DUH! Everybody knows Dragons have Strength D12+9! ^_^"
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allright, I hate you, SavageGamerGirl! #1rocketwhore

This thing's like a #@$$%&#'n Soap Opera!

So, do the Cutie Mark Crusaders ever get their Cutie Marks?

SteveN
Demonicuss Krinn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snate - not yet. Ironically, in the Show Stoppers ep, we the viewers see what talents the CMCs are really good at, and hence the abilities that should unlock their marks, but they're still so wrapped up into "doing everything at once until they get their marks", they haven't noticed.

...and yes, I realize I'm getting in depth about MLP:FIM. Part of me wants to kill myself. Part of me is waiting for the Diamond Dogs ep and wonders how many David Bowie and Venture Bros. references will be snuck in.
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yondalor wrote:
If she ever makes an appearance in your game, she should totally be able to metagame while the other NPCs go "WTF? O.o"

"Well DUH! Everybody knows Dragons have Strength D12+9! ^_^"

ROFL! Good idea! She can break the Fourth Wall regardless of the medium!

Snate56 wrote:
Allright, I hate you, SavageGamerGirl! #1rocketwhore

This thing's like a #@$$%&#'n Soap Opera!

Heehee! Welcome to the herd! Mr. Green

Quote:
So, do the Cutie Mark Crusaders ever get their Cutie Marks?

As Demonicuss said, not as of the most recent episode.

Demonicuss Krinn wrote:
...and yes, I realize I'm getting in depth about MLP:FIM. Part of me wants to kill myself.

Awww, c'mon... it's not that embarrassing is it? It's ok to admit that it's an enjoyable show!

Quote:
Part of me is waiting for the Diamond Dogs ep and wonders how many David Bowie and Venture Bros. references will be snuck in.

I'm glad we're getting back to the main cast in the upcoming episode. Show Stoppers is my least favorite episode so far, and is compounded by the fact that we had two CMC-centric episodes in a row (although I did really like The Stare Master -- it's always cool to see Fluttershy come out of her shell in a BIG way! It's always the quiet ones... Surprised)

But, I figure I can't complain too much if I don't like an episode, as I'm 30-odd years older than the target demographic. Laughing

I should probably dial things back a bit, though... I don't want to get too far off the topic of gaming and get my thread deleted. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17

Jump to: