Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage Renaissance?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KazianG
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Savage Renaissance? Reply with quote

Brainstorming for a Savage Worlds Renaissance-era campaign, perhaps 1500 or so. Anyone have any particular experience in the time period? Most specifically I'm looking for plot hooks, campaign elements and miscellaneous details to sprinkle to make it more renaissance like than "standard medieval adventure number 2."
rodolfo
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, i strongly recommend playing Assassin's creed 2 (PC, PS3 or Xbox)

If there are good ideas, you'll find there.

I was hooked by the idea to make a game with the content there, the game also gives lots of information on the customs, people and etc in the period (it makes use of real persons as main characters, all of them existed)
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's set a little later but Solomon Kane might be useful (as would Pirates for all of the fencing edges and related things)
Kodyax
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any movie based however loosely on Alexander Dumas's works like 3 Musketeers, Man in the Iron Mask, Count of Monte Kristo would be a good place to start. 7th Sea has that sort of vibe to at as well if you can track down materials from it. I believe there was a historical reference for AD&D 2nd Ed you could mine for ideas as well.
The GIT!
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodyax wrote:
I believe there was a historical reference for AD&D 2nd Ed you could mine for ideas as well.

It was called A Mighty Fortress and was a bloody good book. It had an excellent foldout map of Europe as well. It does come up on eBay every now and again and is well worth the money.
The GIT!
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again a little later (seeing as they cover the Musketeers of the 1600's) but I highly recommend TAG's All For One: Régime Diabolique and FGU's Flashing Blades.
The GIT!
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and one of the best books you can possibly buy to cover the Musketeer period is City On the Seine: Paris in the Time of Richelieu and Louis XIV, 1614-1715. It's really expensive now but if you can find a reasonably priced copy grab it quick!
Kodyax
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GIT! wrote:
Kodyax wrote:
I believe there was a historical reference for AD&D 2nd Ed you could mine for ideas as well.

It was called A Mighty Fortress and was a bloody good book. It had an excellent foldout map of Europe as well. It does come up on eBay every now and again and is well worth the money.

I think I sold all my old AD&D books on ebay, that one included. I'm ruing that now.
The GIT!
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodyax wrote:
The GIT! wrote:
Kodyax wrote:

I think I sold all my old AD&D books on ebay, that one included. I'm ruing that now.

Yeah I did a similar thing a long time ago. I've sworn to never sell another game book again. Heck, I've recently started grabbing some of my old stuff from the early eighties back out and, to be truthful, I'm really liking some of what I see Very Happy
Kodyax
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that too well. Which is why I am none too keen on getting rid of my stack of Dungeon and Dragon magazines. You never know when a kernel of an idea might come in handy for recycling.
jasales
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the A Mighty Fortress book. It has alot of period details in it and the map is invaulable.

Also, use Rembrandt sketches. They are fantastic for setting the tone of the game. Get a CD or two of rennaissance music; Handel's Watermusic comes to mind. As does the first movement of Mouret's "First Suite in D," from his second book of Fanfares for Trumpets, Kettledrums, Violins and Oboes, or as most people recognize it, the theme from Masterpiece Theatre.

Create handouts with beautiful script fonts.

Plot hooks are going to involve, gambling, battles, duels, saving face or the honor of someone else, exploration of the New World, exotic trade goods, merchant wars, religous wars, political power struggle amongst monarchs and between the monarchs and the merchant class, intrigue.

My favorite "flavor piece" is The Three Musketeers and The Four Musketeers staring: Micheal York, Oliver Reed, Richard Chamberlain, Christopher Lee, Raquel Welch, Faye Dunaway and Charlton Heston. You wont find a better movie version of the story and it is filled with period detail.
The GIT!
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasales wrote:
My favorite "flavor piece" is The Three Musketeers and The Four Musketeers staring: Micheal York, Oliver Reed, Richard Chamberlain, Christopher Lee, Raquel Welch, Faye Dunaway and Charlton Heston. You wont find a better movie version of the story and it is filled with period detail.

Wholeheartedly agree with this and, contrary to popular belief, the movies were pretty faithful to Dumas.

As for music try and get the soundtracks for The Three Musketeers, The Four Musketeers and The Man in the Iron Mask; they're excellent soundtracks in their own right but they are also pretty good for using at the game table.
Fury
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For game rules, Solomon Kane should work well even if some equipment (such as bayonets) is not yet available. Let me second (third even) A Mighty Fortress. I bought it on eBay based on recommendations on this forum.

I suggest watching The Tudors, La Reine Margot, or Elizabeth. There is plenty of political intrigue that can be used for inspiration, even if they are set a bit later in the 16th century.

You can find period artwork at the Art Renewal Center. See the list of works by Albrecht Dürer for some examples. Works by the Holbeins, da Vinci and other period artists can be found there as well.

jasales wrote:
Get a CD or two of rennaissance music; Handel's Watermusic comes to mind.

Händel's music is baroque, not renaissance. According to Wikipedia, 1500 falls into the middle period of renaissance music.
Connallmac
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to give another nod to A Mighty Fortress, it does a nice job of giving you a brief wrap up of the era and some good ideas for plots and such, keeping the game mechanics to a minimum. Probably the best in that series of historic settings.
KazianG
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Mighty Fortress it is then. The art idea is nice too. I've noticed nothing quite establishes the mood for a setting like having appropriate imagery.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an idea for a Renaissance-era campaign

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25877
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the northern Renaissance just before the wars of religion check out the Lymond Chronicles by Dorothy Dunnett. Everything from Border Reivers to Barbary Corsairs and Nostrodamus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: