Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[50F] Plot Point Campaign- Voyage of the Cicero (SPOILERS)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King of Dreams
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: [50F] Plot Point Campaign- Voyage of the Cicero (SPOILERS) Reply with quote

So my group took a break from Rippers to give 50 Fathoms a try, and it turned out great. So great in fact, that we voted and decided to just play 50 Fathoms instead of switching between the two games every week.

So, since it got such a great response from my group, I decided to chronicle the game on the forums here. So far the characters are the following (more will be added, not everyone could make it the first day):

Broke: A kehana named by the first innkeeper he met on the surface, who made him work at the inn after he couldn't pay for his room. Like most kehana, Broke has a tendency to buy things he thinks are fancy, but is a great crew member. He is the ship's cook, thanks to his strange talent as for preparing food, or as he calls it "Ruining food".

Capt. Julius Azoles: A handsome, suave human pirate from Earth who sailed the Mediterranean Sea in the 1700's. He was known for crashing his ship, the Brutus II into the Rock of Gibraltar (According to him, it was the Rock's fault). He decided to start a new pirating career in the Caribbean, but on the way there heard the call of the Maiden and was transported to Caribdus. Despite his skill with a musket, he absolutely refuses to prove he is wrong in any situation.

Kalibos: A former member of the Kraken Navy, Kalibos is a quiet and mysterious kraken wind mage. He was one of the first to sail against the Sea Hags, and thus saw most of his fellow crew members die by the hands of the witches. He has a large scar across his face, but it's mostly hidden by the helm of his Bone Armor. Kalibos is extremely knowledgeable of Caribdus and a competent mage, but he rarely rushes into a situation without thoroughly thinking it over (He is too afraid of losing his friends like he did thirteen years ago.)

Max Maverick: A tall masaquani who considers himself to be the best shooter in all of the Thosand Isles. He joined the crew at Brigandy Bay, where the crew found him on their ship after a night of carousing. A good tempered masaquani, few people know of the mysterious adversary who haunts Max's past....

I will soon post their first play session. I hope you all enjoy it!

50 Fathoms (GM and Kalibos, former Mage of the Kraken Navy)

Necessary Evil (GM and Deus Ex Machina)

Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space (The Doctor)

Last edited by King of Dreams on Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
King of Dreams
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Session 1: The Adventure begins Reply with quote

The group are all serving on board the Adrianne, a transport ship that had run aground and was taking on water. The ship landed on the coast of Torgoth-Ka, the Savage Lands and the captain ordered the three of them to scavenge for food. As they walked along the coast, they managed to find a damaged skiff that they could easily escape with using some of the lumber that was on board the Adrianne.

Before they can do anything, they are attacked by a yellowback hiding in the nearby jungle. Julius takes a shot but misses. Before the yellowback can attack, Kalibos quickly unsheathes his Kraken Bone sword and beheads the lizard. After the group gets some food and returns to the Adrianne, they find the ship burned to the waterline, their crew slaughtered and the lumber stolen. Broke is able to find a trail in the jungle leading to a temple for the Red Men. The red men and their shaman leader were all chanting, what's left of the Adrianne's crew lined up at the edge of a bubbling pit of red liquid.

Broke is the first to act, slinking off into the jungle to get closer to the shaman. Julius and Kalibos attack the Ugak head on, Julius taking careful aim from the underbrush and shooting the Shaman in the chest and prompting the other Red Men to attack them. As Kalibos and Julius take the brunt of the enemy's forces, Broke manages to slink behind the shaman as he kicks one of the crew in the bubbling pit. When a giant monkape rises from the pit, the kehana makes his move and skewers the shaman with his spear.

By now, both Julius and Kalibos are looking pretty bad, so Broke yells out to the Red Men to get their attention (after freeing the remaining crew, of course). Thanks to this distraction, Kalibos and Julius manage to finish off the few remaining Red Men as Broke distracted the giant monkape. The battle ended with Broke climbing the great beast Shadow of the Colossus-style and stabbing it in the head with his spear. Because Broke wanted it for soup, they end up cutting off one of the monkey's paws and taking it to their ship. The group then names their new ship the Cicero left the Savage Lands on the skiff with their new crew, a human named John Smith, the enigmatic Senor Miguel Figuroa and the twin masaquani Caras and Cais Cath. Julius Azoles is named Captain, Kalibos the ship's mage and Broke becomes the cook.

After a trip of a few days, the group docks at Brigandy Bay, where they let the crew enjoy themselves. However, while at a shady tavern, Julius is approached by a man named Darias Drak. Darius offers the group a great deal of money (2000 pieces of eight) to smuggle opium from Little China to Brigandy Bay. Capt. Julius agrees and the group goes about carousing again.[/i]

tylermo
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're enjoying 50 Fathoms. I've gm'd or played through parts of it many times. Unfortunately, my groups never finished it. I sometimes played a sailor from Earth...Silas "Buzzard" Yates. The crow's nest look-out and boarder guy. He's sort of like Baldric from the Blackadder sitcom. More teeth than brain cells, and he only has 2 or 3 teeth. When a face card is drawn for high seas encounters he shouts, "Loooooooook!" Then there was the npc, Equias. For reasons I won't get into, I refered to him as "Equias, the hermaphroditic wonder crab!" Anyway, have fun with 50 Fathoms.
King of Dreams
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Session 2: Big Trouble on the way to Little China Reply with quote

So our crew decides to shove off the next morning, but first they find that one of their crew, Senor Miguel Figuroa, has jumped ship. That's ok though, because a Masaquani by the name of Max Maverick had found his way onto their boat in a drunken stupor. Needing another crew member, they allowed him to join. Before leaving, they also took the monkey's paw from the giant Monkape and had it stuffed. Not only that, but their taxidermist made it so they could hide things inside the Monkey's paw (Since they asked, I basically made it an extra cargo space that couldn't be searched.) They hang the paw on the front of the Cicero and shove off for Little China.

Along the way, the group falls prey to a trap set by the Black Queens Anne Bonny and Mary Reed and the crew of the Maneater. Thanks to some quick talking from the charismatic Capt. Julius Azoles, he manages to talk some of the crew (which easily outnumbered them roughly 6 to 1) into joining them. After killing both of the Black Queen's, the crew of the Maneater work out a deal to get their lives spared. The groups switch boats and the crew renames the Maneater the Cicero again. They also receive a few more crew members, a jolly grael named Joe, a skilled swordsman named "Stormy" Harkins, a half ugak mercenary named Tonga, a brash human drinker named "Calico" Jake Smythe and a doreen hunter named Klays (much to Broke's dismay). On their way to Little China, the group has their boat searched by none other than Admiral Duckworth himself, the greatest privateer of the East India Company. Since the group had not yet engaged in piracy, they were free to go (though Broke took some nets and dove underwater with the treasure of the former Maneater, just in case). They also met Kyrie Kal, a masaquani captain of the Moon Runner who's ship had been marooned. The crew of the Cicero assisted and gave them some extra sails, and in return got 1000 pieces of eight. After that, they arrived in Little China, which is where we stopped for the day.

It was actually a pretty short session, believe it or not.[/i]

King of Dreams
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Something cool. Reply with quote

Also, I have the coolest group a GM can ask for.

One of my players (the one who plays Broke) drew the characters on board the Cicero and a comic that summarizes our latest playing session.

Here's the crew, I'll get back to you with the comics.

King of Dreams
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Session 3: The one with pictures Reply with quote

So my buddy drew a comic to go with this one. Since it's kind of hard to figure out what happens, I'll provide a description too.

The group finds Mao Peng's Opium den and gets it to their ship. Feeling adventurous, Capt. Julius decides to take an adventurous route past Shark Bay. Along the way, they find some flooded ruins and decide to search them. Kalibos and Broke find some valuable paintings and some silver. The next day, the ship pulls up along shore because Broke is hunting.....

.....Giant Crabs!! The crew hunts a lot of them, Broke cooks some and takes the rest on board the Cicero. At Shark Bay, they sell the crab meat for a nice sum and set off again. What happens next was a strange in-game conversation that happened between my players. If you can't read, it went as follows.

Kalibos: Has anyone noticed that the captain's been strangely competent lately?

Broke: Perhaps he has gained some of my fishy tenacity.

Max: I think he may have grown a tail.

*Broke and Kalibos give him a strange look*

(A little backstory, the guy who played Capt. Julius wasn't here for this session, so Broke and the Captain were played by the same guy, hence this conversation. The guy who played Max was either not really paying attention or failed to be funny. We were all confused by that comment)

The crew was attacked by razor wings. Kalibos used his wind magic to slay a few of them before the Captain gets the idea to use the cannons. This works like a dream, and the crew sails on to Brigandy Bay. They sell the opium and spend the night having a good time.

The group loses Max, who winds up passing out in an alley somewhere. At a tavern, the Captain is met by a masaquani wishing to smuggle weapons to the Kierian Empire for the resistance. The Captain agrees, despite it meaning certain death if they're captured. Wishing to save time, the captain decides to pass through the Flotsam Sea, despite Kalibos saying it might be dangerous.

They are hit by a massive storm. Both Kalibos and Broke almost fall into the depths, but manage to save themselves. Thanks to Julius's great boating skills, they make it to clear waters safely. That night, Broke and Kalibos are out on deck when everyone is asleep.....

The usually distant Kalibos opens up to Broke and tells him about the last time he was in the Flotsam Sea: when he and his former crewmates sailed against the Sea Hags and failed. At that moment, zombies come aboard the ship and both the kraken and the kehana realize they need to fight their way to the bell to wake the rest of the crew. Fortunately the commotion wakes the captain, who walks up from below deck.....

....and immediately blasts a zombie's head off. Max is the next to wake, and he immediately realizes we're under attack, wakes the rest of the crew and heads on deck where he takes out a ton of zombies with one blast from his Blunderbuss (Seriously, that is an insane gun). The next day, as Capt. Julius realizes that maybe coming to the Flotsam Sea as a shortcut probably wasn't the smartest of ideas, Cais Cath spots someone adrift in the ocean. They help up the cast away....

....who turns out to be a scurrilian named Equais. He is yelling about how they need to escape from "them". When asked, the ship is boarded by a pod of Octopons. The crew fights bravely, but Cais is gravely wounded.

Thankfully, he survives and is brought below deck for medical treatment. Equais then tells the crew what he's learned from his research: the islands of Caribdus are still flooding. Someone needs to stop the Sea Hag's dark magic, but who is mad enough to stand up to the most powerful witches in all of Caribdus? I think our adventurers just might be right for the job.....

tylermo
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoying this thread. I've been involved(largely as a gm, and as a player)in three long-term attempts, and a few shorter ones to get 50 Fathoms off the ground. Most were derailed because of players' real life schedules. It's definitely one of Pinnacle's best plot points. Either way, I noticed your crew bumped into Anne Bonny and Mary Read a bit earlier than my players did. We were using Pinnacle's pdf adventure deck which brought about some unusual situations. One of our players used a "love interest" card. Let's just say that Mary switched teams and was smitten with one of our male players. She even joined the crew. Anne Bonny was having none of that, and stowed away on our ship. She revealed herself in the next session, only to find herself attracted to my female player's character(a female Doreen, or may have been a masaquani). Amazingly enough, the love interest card was randomly drawn again in the next session. I finally pulled it from the deck for awhile. Good times I tell you. BTW, are you using the 50 Fathoms Companion pdf, or the figure flats? Both really add to the game.
Captain_Sabatini
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get enough of reading 50 fathoms playthroughs! It makes me wish that I had a group to play with while I'm at school (and that I had 50 fathoms, but I'm waiting on the explorer's edition of that).

I really enjoy the comic format! Hope you can keep it up!
King of Dreams
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Really enjoying this thread. I've been involved(largely as a gm, and as a player)in three long-term attempts, and a few shorter ones to get 50 Fathoms off the ground. Most were derailed because of players' real life schedules. It's definitely one of Pinnacle's best plot points. Either way, I noticed your crew bumped into Anne Bonny and Mary Read a bit earlier than my players did. We were using Pinnacle's pdf adventure deck which brought about some unusual situations. One of our players used a "love interest" card. Let's just say that Mary switched teams and was smitten with one of our male players. She even joined the crew. Anne Bonny was having none of that, and stowed away on our ship. She revealed herself in the next session, only to find herself attracted to my female player's character(a female Doreen, or may have been a masaquani). Amazingly enough, the love interest card was randomly drawn again in the next session. I finally pulled it from the deck for awhile. Good times I tell you. BTW, are you using the 50 Fathoms Companion pdf, or the figure flats? Both really add to the game.

I kinda realized running into the Black Queens early on was sort of a mistake, since they are significantly more powerful than my players are now. However, everyone played it off well. I really didn't expect Julius to try and talk the pirates into joining his crew, so I decided I'd reward them.

I do have the Companion, but I haven't really found anything I wanna use in it yet. I really should use the figure flats provided in that book, so far we've just been using random small objects (coins, paper circles, m&ms) instead of miniatures.

tylermo
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The companion has extra locales for many of the cities, towns, and continents of Caribdus. Probably some extra job opportunties, and what not for your players. It's been so long since I bought the main set of figure flats that I can't remember how much they are. Have gotten a lot of use out of them, as well as the ones included with the companion. I even managed to find some of the old 50F metal miniatures. If you're looking for multi-level ship map, Paizo has a flip-mat with three levels. The ship is much bigger than a dinghy, and not as big as a Man-o-war, but serves adequately for most of my needs.
King of Dreams
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Fun Fact Reply with quote

Hey Guys, just finished the next session and will have the summary up as soon as Broke finishes the comic.

Anyways, something I thought was funny. Turns out that when my player (the one who drew the pictures) heard that his crew member was named John Smith, he immediately thought of Doctor Who, who uses John Smith as an alias a lot (We're all big fans of Doctor Who).

So instead of making John Smith look like THE John Smith, he drew him to look like David Tennant. So it is now a running joke that the John Smith aboard the Cicero is the Doctor.

Thought maybe some of you would enjoy that.

tylermo
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of both series, DW classic in particular. Looking forward to the next installment.
King of Dreams
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Session 4: The Fall of Terror Reply with quote

Alright, I've been really busy as of late, so I haven't had time to explain what has been going on. So here goes a quick recap of the last two sessions.

The Cicero and it's crew managed to sail out of the Flotsam Sea and to the Kingdom of Kiera. Equais when his own way, but reminded the crew that if they wished to help save Caribdus, they should seek out the fabled Archmage Tressa the Red.

After delivering the crates of weapons to the rebels, the group then caroused the city of Kiera, enjoying wine, women and song. They even ran into their old friend Senor Miguel Figuroa, who explained that he jumped ship because he "had to get out of Brigandy Bay fast." Either way, it was a happy reunion and they all had a good time.

However, the next day as they were getting ready to leave, a young masaquani woman named Ursa Ulm approached them. She offered the crew 20,000 pieces of eight if they found her missing father, famed shipbuilder Noran Nass.

The group searched around for a bit when they found a barkeep who told them what he overheard from some guards who frequent his bar. Apparently, the Great Whale had "recruited" many shipbuilders to help build a great warship called the Terror. Apparently, the ship was hidden on the small island of Terras North of Kiera.

They arrived at the island of Terras and saw the great ship the Terror (which my players jokingly named "The Pirate Death Star"), which appeared to be almost finished. Quickly, the group came up with a plan. Kalibos and Max would take the Eastern gun tower while Broke, Klays and Cais would take the Western tower and create a distraction. Meanwhile, Capt. Julius Azoles would sneak into the workers camp and find Noran Nass. Despite Klays and Broke's differences, both groups took the towers and the plan not only went off without a hitch, but the crew managed to blow up the Terror!!

Julius managed to pull the Cicero around with the remaining crew (He shouldn't have had enough crew to do this, but I let him make the boating roll at -2. I probably should have made it a higher penalty, but what are you gonna do?). Both groups leaped from the towers and swam to the ship. They managed to get aboard and escaped! The crew of the Cicero had done a great feat, but it seems they have made permanent enemies of the Great Whale and the Kieran Empire...

Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A player character plan that went off without a hitch? Sounds like you were shirking your GM responsibilities. Razz
King of Dreams
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A player character plan that went off without a hitch? Sounds like you were shirking your GM responsibilities.

What can I say? They rolled REALLY well.

Poor Wandering One
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say I LOVE the comic. Please forward these kudos to the artist.

~will
King of Dreams
Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: I haven't updated in a while. Reply with quote

Wow, time flies huh?

I'm sorry I haven't been updating as usual, I've been REALLY busy with school and stuff. We've had quite a few sessions since I last posted, so I'm going to do a very quick synopsis of each to get you guys up to date before I get to my regular updates.

What happened since the destruction of the Terror.....

-The crew of the Cicero returned to Kieria to drop off Nolan Nass, who makes the ship faster in thanks.

-The crew leaves Kieria never to return, but are horribly damaged a few leagues out by pirates. The ship a wreck and most of the crew wounded, they turn around and head back to Kieria.

-They hire a healer, a scurillian named Narquis, and a few others (who I will list later), but unfortunately Broke, Kalibos and Max get captured by Kierian guards who recognize them.

-Being the hedonistic bastard he is, Jarris Jant has Kalibos, Broke and Max fight in his arena rather than watching them hang. They fight a group of captured pirates and Jant's 'pet' giant spider, Charlotte.

-Meanwhile, Capt. Julius is able to sneak into the Guilded Terrace using some forgeries, some smooth talking and a lot of cloaks and jump down into the arena as the group finishes off Charlotte.

-The group runs back to the ship and leaves Kieria. They are chased by a Kierian ship and almost caught, but luckily their old friend Senor Miguel fires on the empire from his ship, allowing the Cicero to escape.

-The Cicero returns to Torath-Ka and finds the tower of Tressa the Red. After passing the challenges and ignoring her annoying pet parrot, they learn from her to seek out the Tear of Lys, which is in the possession of Tomas de Orinjo. They leave the Teeth, but not before taking some nice sharkskin sails.

-The group travels along the coast of Torath-Ka for a few days when they come across a manmade river going deeper into the continent. They park the boat and follow the river to a huge man-made lake with an altar in the center of it. Behind the lake is a huge step pyramid. At the top the group finds a temple to a shark with a ton of diamonds in it, including a huge ruby that is in the mouth of a shark statue. They take it all when they suddenly hear drums outside. At the bottom of the pyramid, the Red Men look ready to sacrifice a human girl on the altar in the center of the lake, standing around the lake and chanting "Jinka-Tahn, Jinka-Tahn, Jinka-Tahn.". They fight off the Red Men and save the girl before she is eaten by a huge megalodon, and the group manages to get back to their ship unharmed, but not before Broke (in a HUGE stroke of luck, mind you) gouges out the eye of the shark with his trident.

-The group finds out the girl makes her home in Baltimus, and will reward them handsomely if they return her. All along the trip, they come to realize they are being followed by the same megalodon, which occasionally tries attacking them. Tonga thinks the girl is cursed and that they should throw her in the ocean, but Capt. Julius talks them out of it. Still the shark follows them. Finally they reach Baltimus and return the girl for their hefty reward.

I will be playing again this Wednesday, and I promise I'll try to post right after the game finishes.

Happy Memorial Day, everyone!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: