Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rules you just blatantly ignore?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Rules you just blatantly ignore? Reply with quote

We've had several interesting threads lately about the rules and what you would change or add. I'm interested if there are some rules that people just blatantly ignore or don't pay attention to.

For me, encumbrance is one. In our current Deadlands game, we just say that if what you're carrying weighs more than a goat, then you're encumbered (and our Brawny character can carry two goats).

All of us independently decided that we didn't like the rule that it takes a full advance to buy a skill at a d4 after character creation. So we ignore that and it now takes 1 skill point, just like at character creation.

Depending on the setting, we also ignore ammo rules too.

What about you all? Any rules you completely ignore? Not necessarily things that you've houseruled, just things that you've cut out entirely.
kreider204
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Encumbrance, absolutely. It's a perfectly reasonable concept, but I have always hated keeping track of such things. I do have minimum strength requirements for armor, though.

Other than that, it's not so much ignored, as tweaked with house rules.
Bavix
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Standing from Prone Reply with quote

I've never liked that characters automatically stand from prone as a reaction to being attacked. I, and everyone I've played Savage Worlds with, treat standiing from prone as part of movement that costs 2"
77IM
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the prone defender rule -- we use that one in some genres but not in the more realistic ones.

Other ones we commonly ignore:

- No special GM permission needed to take Background and Professional edges after character creation. The players are usually building according to some concept and if that is helped by one of those edges, no need to penalize their attributes by making them spend hindrance points on it. (In my experience the only edge that is actually unbalanced by this scheme is Alertness; too many players take Notice d4 + Alertness.)

- On an opposed roll, ties go to the actor rather than the defender (in the official rules often the ties go to the defender). We feel this keeps things moving a little bit.

- Facing rules for shields. It comes up so rarely that we just don't worry about it.

-- 77IM
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with 77IM on certain Background edges (you ought to be able to learn arcane backgrounds or "discover" them later). Alertness, Attractive, Fast Healer, and a few others just don't make sense to "discover" later on, for the most part. I could see getting Attractive and/or Very Attractive if you start as a teenager and mature into your looks or, like George Clooney, you just look better with grey hair and therefore gain the edges as you age.

By and large, the only thing that we add in pretty much every setting is the improvised weapons rules from PotSM and the improvisational fighter from the same. Other than that, we pretty much play by the book. Encumbrance isn't that big a deal and (as long as I'm not doing loads of Calculus) I can do most of the math in my head so it's just a matter of writing down the weight of everything the character carries.

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH
kreider204
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've apparently ignored some of these rules so completely that I didn't even realize they were rules ...

Embarassed
Sean-Khan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately encumbrance is what makes Str a meaning stat, at least outside medieval -type settings. It should be handled by item slots, though, counting is boring and time-consuming.

I'd like to ignore AP of most firearms, but don't know if I'll do anything about it.

Generally, I'm mostly trying to go with core rules at least until I have more experience, but Guts skill I've dropped (spirit is used instead).
Rachan
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Item slots? YUCK!!
Sean-Khan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachan wrote:
Item slots? YUCK!!

Not in a computer game means, but as carrying capacity measure; Amount/size of slots is affected by Str. Before finding SW and thinking that it really might meet my expectations, I was pretty far in developing a rpg system of my own. IIRC I had developed almost ready a slot system as a measure of carrying capacity, and at least on paper it worked really well.

I was inspired to this by Perfect20 system's Bulk rating; While P20 still counts these numbers, they could also be handed with slots; A bit abstraction in this aspect of SW would also be most welcome.
Rachan
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very best encumbrance system I've EVER heard of is right in the first post of this thread:

If it weighs more than a goat, you're encumbered. If you're Brawny, you can carry two goats.

Anyway, back on topic ...

The only rules I tend to ignore involve buying Background Edges and new Skills after generation. I think SOME Background Edges should stay Background Edges, but there are a few (like the ABs, if the character has a good reason) I let people pick up in-game.

And about the 2-point cost for new skills ... after some discussion in other threads about stat balancing, I think I'm going to start paying attention to this rule after all. As it's written, it does encourage a more balanced build.
inlife9
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised none.

and my group has a history of tearing down rpgs. and being very non-rules lawyers. We find SW to just be so "all the hard stuff made easy" we dont really mess with it. I am partly sad that I have nothing cool to add to this thread.
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranges. Yep, believe or not, ranges. For my games, all ranges are broken down into :

Close Combat
Short Range
Medium Range
Long Range
Ballistic Range

All range modifiers still apply, and a weapon that can fire at one range can fire at all increments below it's own( For example, a scoped rifle can fire at long, medium and short) accept ballistic ranges, which are fired on a ballistic arc. This is FFF for role playing purposes for me, because I'm not trying to decide just how many meters away a target is in theiddlw of a rapid role playing session. If using a map and miniatures, the ranges are:

Short= 12 inches
Medium= 24 inches
Long = 36 inches
Ballistic = longer than 36 inches

I realize this may seem too short foe some weapons, but in the interest of FFF, this is really sexy for me and my players...
islan
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virgobrown72 wrote:
Ranges. Yep, believe or not, ranges. For my games, all ranges are broken down into :

Close Combat
Short Range
Medium Range
Long Range
Ballistic Range:

I kinda like this idea; it really helps for people wanting to play without minis or proper scale, I imagine.
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject:
Virgobrown72 wrote:

Close Combat
Short Range
Medium Range
Long Range
Ballistic Range:

I kinda like this idea; it really helps for people wanting to play without minis or proper scale, I imagine.

Yeah, in a narrative game without minis, it's really easy to use, and actually, with minis, it's pretty easy also. Give it a whirl, and see how it goes...
kreider204
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean-Khan wrote:
Unfortunately encumbrance is what makes Str a meaning stat, at least outside medieval -type settings.

To be clearer, I don't ignore the idea completely - I just sorta eyeball it, keeping in mind the character's Strength, rather than counting up the weight of every tiny object.
Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inlife9 wrote:
Surprised none.

and my group has a history of tearing down rpgs. and being very non-rules lawyers. We find SW to just be so "all the hard stuff made easy" we dont really mess with it. I am partly sad that I have nothing cool to add to this thread.

I second this one... Mr. Green
SW has the right quantity / quality of rules that make an almost perfect mix between too much detailed systems (like The Other Game with lot of D), and too bland systems.
Of course, every one put some limited houserule (prone rule, Spirit in place of Guts for epic games etc.) but the other "base" rules are all on.
I like the encumbrance rules (so Str don't become a dump stat) simply adding weapons, armor, and relevant gear like medikits; I like the 3 ranges (not 2, not 5... 3 is quite good) etc.

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY
Zadmar
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rules you just blatantly ignore? Reply with quote

Thunderforge wrote:
All of us independently decided that we didn't like the rule that it takes a full advance to buy a skill at a d4 after character creation. So we ignore that and it now takes 1 skill point, just like at character creation.

We take it a step further and ignore the linked attributes, so that an advance always allows you to increase 2 skills (although I don't allow a skill to be increased more than one step per gaming session). This means you don't "lose" experience points by increasing things in the wrong order. There are other house rules to ensure that the attributes are still useful.
amerigoV
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ignore the facing rule for shields. The rule is very un-FFF to me.
Rachan
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ignore that one, too. Just because we always forget.
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None, really. I have yet to come across a rule in the SWEE that I feel I must do away with.

Mr. Green

Ok, ok, fine...

Running.

I don't like the random d6 extra distance for running.

If you're jogging, skip-stepping, keeping low, etc., then I can understand a randomized distance for moving.

But, IMO, there should be a set amount for an all out straight sprint with little thought to defense and all thought to speed.

HOWEVER, I'm going to run the rules as written to see if I can live with the randomized speed before I decide whether or not to nix it. Ergo, my initial sentence still stands. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: