Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sheath a Weapon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
77IM
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Sheath a Weapon? Reply with quote

Hi gang,

I need some rules advice. The book, and several good forum threads, go into detail about the actions and checks required to draw a weapon or multiple weapons. All pretty clear to me, I think.

But what about sheathing/holstering/stowing a weapon? You know, like when you need to switch weapons, or go hands-free to grab someone. You could always just drop the old weapon as a free action, but maybe you don't want too because it's a good weapon (or Trademark) and you're not sure you'll be able to retrieve it easily after the battle.

What kind of action should it be to sheath a weapon? Two weapons? Would the Quick Draw edge speed it up any? What do other people do?

Thanks,

-- 77IM
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I treat it as Readying a Weapon, just in reverse. Takes an action, unless you have Quick Draw, and only requires a roll if you're doing so under odd or difficult circumstances.

I tend to let folks draw two similar weapons simultaneously. But I'm nice like that.
Max Schreck
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logic seems to dictate that sheathing a weapon should take at least the same time as drawing one, so sheathing could probably use the same rules as drawing. That's what I would do, anyway.

Most combatants would probably throw their weapons to the ground in the midst of a melee, though. If you aren't able to pick up your weapon again after the fight, you probably have bigger things to worry about, such as being dead, captured or in a rout.

Cheers,

Max
— Not that I am aware of, Sarah.
kreider204
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to interpret "readying a weapon" pretty broadly, including switching weapons, which I count as a single full action. Otherwise, sheathing tends to occur after combat, so I guess I've never worried about it much.
Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
I treat it as Readying a Weapon, just in reverse. Takes an action, unless you have Quick Draw, and only requires a roll if you're doing so under odd or difficult circumstances.

Me too.

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY
Lee_Szczepanik
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on Readying a Weapon for sheathing. Especially since even sword experts that I know can draw one much faster than they can sheathe it.
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make it an agility roll to sheath swords in combat since it requires a bit more precision unless all the character does for that round is sheath the sword. Failure indicates that they miss the sheath and drop the sword. Critical failure indicates that they've stabbed or cut themselves in their off hand (because one generally holds the sheath with the off-hand while returning the sword). But that's for blades. Guns with holsters don't require a roll and are treated as readying a weapon while sticking a gun into your waist-band requires an agility roll (and running more than once means that the gun falls out). Sheathing a rifle or shotgun in a boot only requires a roll if the character is carrying the boot, while if the character has strapped the boot onto a horse upon which the character is mounted or standing next to then normal holster rules apply to a single weapon on the horse (unless the character is ambidextrous and mounted two forward boots on the barding or two boots on the side on which the character is standing).

Regardless, drawing, attacking, and holstering suffers multi-action penalties: either -4 for drawing, attacking, and re-holstering/sheathing or -2 if the character has quick-draw.

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH
Rachan
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few actions in the game—such as drawing a weapon—that don't by themselves involve a Trait roll. I know this isn't a rule, but the general trend I've noticed is that ONE no-roll action is basically a freebie. TWO no-roll actions prompt an Agility roll.

That said, an action is an action is an action. Even if there's no direct penalty for drawing a gun, it still grants a -2 to shoot it in the same round. Drawing two guns and shooting both would be an Agility roll to draw (two no-roll actions), and a -6 to each Shooting roll (for 4 actions total).

I would say, just to keep things FFF, sheathing falls under the realm of no-roll actions. I wouldn't give it a separate Agility roll, unless used in a multi-action like I just described.
HawaiianBrian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drawing a new one is one thing, but it doesn't seem very FFF to make someone sheathe a weapon in combat...
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachan wrote:
There are a few actions in the game—such as drawing a weapon—that don't by themselves involve a Trait roll. I know this isn't a rule, but the general trend I've noticed is that ONE no-roll action is basically a freebie. TWO no-roll actions prompt an Agility roll.

I generally force it only for swords and only in combat because its damned difficult to sheath a sword while someone is trying to smack you with a stick.
Rachan wrote:
I would say, just to keep things FFF, sheathing falls under the realm of no-roll actions. I wouldn't give it a separate Agility roll, unless used in a multi-action like I just described.

I guess I actually only require rolls for sheathing swords, otherwise I treat it just like readying a weapon.

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH
77IM
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody. My first instinct was to treat sheathing a weapon just like drawing one, so I'm glad to see other people think that way too.

But then, another part of me wonders if this is too harsh. How many rounds should a player "waste" stowing their sword and shield and drawing their crossbow? Won't the bad guy have escaped by then? Or if you suddenly find yourself in melee and need to holster your blasters to draw your vibroblades -- that's, what, two rounds each with an Agility check just to juggle weapons? And maybe it would overpower Quick Draw since it reduces all of this to a free action and +2 on the checks? I dunno. I guess at least treating sheathing just like drawing is very simple in the sense of being easy to understand and remember.

-- 77IM
JmOz01
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it ever came up, I would allow it as part of drawing another weapon with agility an agility roll, otherwise I would use the same rules as readying a weapon
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently handle it the same as drawing a weapon, except that Quick Draw doesn't help. Players can of course drop weapons as a free action - but if they could also sheathe for free, there'd be no incentive to ever drop their weapons.

What I'm not so sure about is how to deal people loosening their swords in their scabbards, or placing their dagger between their teeth while climbing the rigging of a ship and then grabbing it when they reach the enemy.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JmOz01 wrote:
If it ever came up, I would allow it as part of drawing another weapon with agility an agility roll, otherwise I would use the same rules as readying a weapon

Yeah, if sheathing is basically the same action as readying in reverse, then the same basic rules can apply. If a character wants to draw two weapons, they need to make an Agility roll, so if they want to sheath one and draw another in the same action, just run it the same way.

I just wouldn't let them sheathe two and draw two new ones as a single action (without some special Edge outside of Quick Draw).

www.peginc.com
77IM
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah -- I like that a lot! So regular un-edged people aren't screwed if they can make the Agility roll (I can here my players now: "Can I sheath and draw Acrobatically for +2?"), and Two-Fisted people should either pick up Quick Draw or resign themselves to spending a round switching weapons now and then.

-- 77IM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: