Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[SPC] Questions...

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
drcheckmate
Veteran


Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 502
Location: Gator Country

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: [SPC] Questions... Reply with quote

If Construct costs 5 and Undead costs 4, how would folks price Elemental or Demon (from the FC)?

If you buy any of the above and Animal Control with the Shapechanger modifer, does it really make sense for all the alternate forms to have to also "buy" the above powers?

On the subject of Shapechange and Animal Control in general, does 10 points buy you all the other animals under it, or does the point cost work more like Infection - effects are bought separately?

And how about the adaptable shape shifter? Rather than taking alternate forms they're just shifting points between Strength, Vigor, and Agility as needed. How would you do that? Switchable and an assortment of Super Attribute builds?

One last question: Has anyone tried linking Toughness to Strength instead of Vigor? I think in non-SPC games this would make a neat racial trait, but after reviewing the Growth power, I'm not so sure it is a good idea for supers games.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Clint
Site Admin


Joined: 13 May 2003
Posts: 18132

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: [SPC] Questions... Reply with quote

drcheckmate wrote:
If Construct costs 5 and Undead costs 4, how would folks price Elemental or Demon (from the FC)?


Elemental = 5
Demon = 19
(Demons effectively have Full Coverage Immunity except against cold iron/magic).

drcheckmate wrote:
If you buy any of the above and Animal Control with the Shapechanger modifer, does it really make sense for all the alternate forms to have to also "buy" the above powers?


They wouldn't have to; nothing about Shapechanger says the character doesn't have access to their other powers. Confused

drcheckmate wrote:
On the subject of Shapechange and Animal Control in general, does 10 points buy you all the other animals under it, or does the point cost work more like Infection - effects are bought separately?


Each listing is inclusive of the lower ones, so yeah, 10 points buys all the options up to or less than what is listed.

drcheckmate wrote:
And how about the adaptable shape shifter? Rather than taking alternate forms they're just shifting points between Strength, Vigor, and Agility as needed. How would you do that? Switchable and an assortment of Super Attribute builds?


Possibly, but it would be more dependent on the character design than the power design to me. Why can the character do this, and why is it all they can do?

For instance, another option could be a variant on Super Sorcery where the trappings limit the powers to physical alterations, but without any Backlash (or borrowing points either). The character rolls Shapeshifting instead of Spellcasting to change his abilities, and on a 1 suffers bio-feedback that causes him to be Shaken and drop his abilities.

drcheckmate wrote:
One last question: Has anyone tried linking Toughness to Strength instead of Vigor? I think in non-SPC games this would make a neat racial trait, but after reviewing the Growth power, I'm not so sure it is a good idea for supers games.


I'm not aware of anyone doing it, and I don't think I'd recommend it as it links damage avoidance directly to damage infliction in one Attribute (on top of the existing secondary linkage where a higher Strength allows a character to wear heavier and better armor).
_________________
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
drcheckmate
Veteran


Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 502
Location: Gator Country

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: [SPC] Questions... Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Elemental = 5
Demon = 19
(Demons effectively have Full Coverage Immunity except against cold iron/magic).


Forgot the immunity thing. Thank you.

Quote:

They wouldn't have to; nothing about Shapechanger says the character doesn't have access to their other powers. Confused


Embarassed ah. Well, it's obvious when you put it like that. Sorry.

I'm not sure Sorcery is the way I would want to go on this, but that is definitely food for thought. Hmmm...

And, Strength thing is crazy broken, I just thought it would be a flavor thing for a super strong and tough race, but I have no idea how to balance it so it is less of a game breaker.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Poor Wandering One
Veteran


Joined: 26 Aug 2008
Posts: 536

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: [SPC] Questions... Reply with quote

drcheckmate wrote:
And, Strength thing is crazy broken, I just thought it would be a flavor thing for a super strong and tough race, but I have no idea how to balance it so it is less of a game breaker.


Crazy broken?
I must have missed something. Could you go into more detail? Perhaps with examples for us poor wanderers?

Thanks
~will
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drcheckmate
Veteran


Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 502
Location: Gator Country

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: [SPC] Questions... Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
drcheckmate wrote:
One last question: Has anyone tried linking Toughness to Strength instead of Vigor? I think in non-SPC games this would make a neat racial trait, but after reviewing the Growth power, I'm not so sure it is a good idea for supers games.


I'm not aware of anyone doing it, and I don't think I'd recommend it as it links damage avoidance directly to damage infliction in one Attribute (on top of the existing secondary linkage where a higher Strength allows a character to wear heavier and better armor).


That. That right there. What Clint said. And, my specific issue is - as a racial trait, like the human's free edge - how does one balance that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
JmOz01
Seasoned


Joined: 01 Aug 2010
Posts: 357

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: [SPC] Questions... Reply with quote

drcheckmate wrote:
If Construct costs 5 and Undead costs 4, how would folks price Elemental or Demon (from the FC)?


Umm...Construct costs less than undead? Really, I might be wrong (Probably am) but doesn't undead do everything construct does plus give additional defences? Not seeing why it would cost less...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clint
Site Admin


Joined: 13 May 2003
Posts: 18132

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: [SPC] Questions... Reply with quote

JmOz01 wrote:
Umm...Construct costs less than undead? Really, I might be wrong (Probably am) but doesn't undead do everything construct does plus give additional defences?


Nope, not as a power in the SPC. There are some similarities, but also some significant differences.
_________________
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum