Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gaming Tablets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Break Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The One
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Gaming Tablets Reply with quote

So, not your usual topic but my phone contract comes up soon and I'm considering getting a tablet as a "free"* gift to help make my PDF material more accessable at the gaming table.

Does anyone have any recomendations for a tablet that they've used for gaming material? Any killer apps that make a GM's job easier?

I'm not particularly fussy on OS, having used iOS, Android and Windows 8 as part of my IT job

* yes I know it's not free and that you pay for it in the phone contract rates
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nexus 7 which I use at the gaming table, and I'm very happy with it (although a friend bought a Nexus 10 and the larger screen is definitely nicer for playing at the table, although it's less convenient to carry around).
SteelDraco
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently switched from a Xoom to a Nexus 10, and have enjoyed having both at the gaming table. I use a few Pathfinder-specific apps when running Pathfinder Society. It works well. I don't use any dice stuff or character tracking on it, though. Mostly just book reference and access to Evernote (which I use for all my game planning), which is still super handy. I also use it to play background music.

Anybody know of any SW-specific apps for the Android I should be aware of?
Ryche
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nexus 7 that works well. I prefer Explorer size PDFs or the PDF size Pinnacle is using over the full book, since it fits better. Though a normal size PDF works as well.
Kristian Serrano
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I previously used a Xoom and now have a Nexus 7. I use both at the table along with my Nexus 5, to which I just upgraded from a Galaxy Nexus.

For what its worth, one of the things I use my Nexus 7 for is playing music from my playlists on Google Play Music All Access through my Bluetooth speaker.

For reading PDFs, Adobe Reader works quite well. I pin the PDFs in Google Drive and create shortcuts to each on my homescreen in a folder.
Raise Calculator
savage greek
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the 7" Kindle Fire. It's excellent for reading and has amazing sound via the stereo speakers.

I find that most RPG PDF's have to be zoomed to read easily. Pretty simple to do with most apps.

I use the Ez PDF Reader app and I love it. Easy to annotate, highlight, and it has a text to voice feature. It's nice having the PDF read to you while you drive.
The One
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly seems Android is the most popular option out there!

I'll admit I was curious about a Windows tablet, running full 8.1, so I could use Hero Labs but then realised I can just use remote access to my PC instead.
Wibbs
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Nexus 7, which I find really useful. The only issue I sometimes have with it is that it can struggle to efficiently work with larger pdf documents, and takes a while to catch up and load/display the right pages if I navigate through too quickly.
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently bought a Samsung Tab 3, 8 inch. Didn't get it for gaming per se but it's nice and easy to read pdfs on.
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 3-4 in my gaming groups, a mixture of Android and iPad.

I use mine mostly as a PDF library, as having tried using a tablet at the table I find I prefer paper, pencil and analogue dice. When I did use it that way, the killer app was GoodReader - PDF viewer/editor, text editor, file manager, photo/map viewer, syncs with Dropbox and others. I didn't find a dice roller I was happy with.

I game with one GM who uses his tablet as a PDF reader and also has an extensive library of photos, maps etc - he tends to select one, place it in the middle of the table, and say "This is what the town looks like," and so on.

Another makes extensive use of a dice roller, I suspect largely because he runs Shadowrun and that requires prodigious numbers of d6.
OSIAdept
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an Asus Memo HD 7
A great budget tablet costs about 145, almost 200 after a 2 year protection plan and tax. 16 gb 12 usable decent processor and uses a micro usb as a charger also has 2 cameras and a micro sd slot and is formated for up to 32gb sd cards.

Combine with a bluetooth keyboard and its damn near a mini laptop.

Books look great on its hd 1280 screen it also runs the 4.2 incarnation of android.

As for apps
Polaris office and google drive are my primary writing tools
I dont use any dice rollers or anything like that

UB reader is handles e-pub formats and pdfs and has a great interface

It was the best bang for my budget.

If you are more inclined to a windows tablet i recomend the Asus t100 its a Tablet that comes with a keyboard dock.

My online art portfolio
http://paintedsamurai.deviantart.com/

Black Stag Publishing
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Stag-Publishing/223736847644167?sk=wall
Darq666
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Win 8 tablet because I like to write software to support my gaming.
The One
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darq666 wrote:
I use a Win 8 tablet because I like to write software to support my gaming.

Assuming you mean Windows 8.1 and not Windows 8 RT (Really a Toy?)

One of my options is a Dell Venue Pro 8 but having used Windows 8 on my desktop, I'm just not sure how that works out on a tablet, particularly with regards to battery life
The One
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I ended up with a Samsung Tab S 8.4, and so far it's been pretty useful for it's intended purpose, just about large enough for PDF adventuresand rulebooks in portrait mode, and can handle a PDF and Syrinscape's sound effects suite.
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hannspree 13.1 inch tablet. It was $200 at Compusa. It runs android and is updateable. It will take a 64GB micro sd card. It might more bigger, but that's all I could afford. The wi-fi antenna is a bit weak, it doesn't seem to have the range of others, but the video and audio are good.
Yeah, it's a screen for the blind. Wink
Gordon
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use and target my web dev for my ipad2

Every time I open Xcode to work on a mobile app, I find it more convenient to write it in HTML/javascript - plus it's "magically" cross platform - write once run everywhere

Proud Member of the Lone Star Savages https://plus.google.com/communities/102746374078002591043
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find a tablet more useful for reference and session prep than for actual play.

I avoid what Jerry Pournelle called "the Revenge of the File Formats" by using a PDF reader (often Kindle) where format is important and a text editor where it isn't, or for taking scratch notes. I'm currently experimenting with keeping character statblocks as notes in the player's contact record - SW is simple enough that this should work.

If you go down the iPad/iOS route, I strongly recommend GoodReader, which is a PDF reader/editor, text reader/editor, dropbox sync engine, and probably more besides if I experiment further with it. The killer function was its ability to have multiple PDF files open in separate tabs at the same time, which other readers I've tried can't do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Break Room All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: