Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your fantasy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Break Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How much magic do you like in your fantasy settings?
D&D Style. Magic is commonplace, everyone knows about it, and magic items are a commodity.
17%
 17%  [ 18 ]
Middle-earth Style. The world is a magical place, but true spellcasters are rare (even among PCs) and magic items are unique and difficult to come by.
33%
 33%  [ 35 ]
Conan Style. There is some magic in the world, but its rare, dangerous, and to be avoided at all costs (even by the PCs).
13%
 13%  [ 14 ]
Harry Potter Style. Magic and magic items are commonplace, but the world at large isn't aware of it.
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Lovecraft Style. Magic is extremely uncommon and generally ritualistic. The PCs can learn it, but at a terrible price.
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Star Wars Style. Similar in many ways to Harry Potter Style. Magic is fairly common and known to just about everyone, but only certain people can wield it.
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
Other. There is a Style I prefer that doesn't fit those rather broad descriptions, and I'll tell you about it in my post.
19%
 19%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 104

Preatori0us
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to go with "Other" I really enjoy The Warmachine/Ebberon type setting where magic is used to create technology. Kind of like a mirror world to Girl Genius (which is freakin' awesome).
Golan2072
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preferred level of magic is a mixture of Middle Earth-style with Lovecraft-style: the world is a magical place with wondrous beings, situations and places, but true spell-casters are rare and so are permanent and/or powerful magical items; and high-level magic is VERY dangerous and very, very rare.
nonefornic
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golan2072 wrote:
My preferred level of magic is a mixture of Middle Earth-style with Lovecraft-style: the world is a magical place with wondrous beings, situations and places, but true spell-casters are rare and so are permanent and/or powerful magical items; and high-level magic is VERY dangerous and very, very rare.

So kinda Black Company?
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLoremaster wrote:
Rachan wrote:
Because zombies don't eat grain.

They do if they're vegetarian zombies ...

"GRAAIINS!!!! GRAAIINS!!!" Very Happy

Night of the Living Bread.
razorwise
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It truly depends on the setting. *shrugs*

The amount, power, and cost (spiritual and otherwise) of magic can truly shape the setting as much as the amount (or absence) of technology present.

From the settings I've worked on, it seems I tend towards a goodly amount of magic--Iron Dynasty and RunePunk have high magic, whereas its more restricted in Agents of Oblivion (at least from the world view perspective) and it's (naturally) nasty as all get out in Realms of Cthulhu. Shaintar is definitely on the higher end of the spectrum, while Ravaged Earth has less of a focus on magic.

This is a rather interesting, thought-provoking thread.

Regards,

Sean
The Blur is Now on G+
skylion
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I choose Other.

It depends on how I want to tell a story, or how the story shapes up; very organic in that nature. Another factor is the current game setting I am enamored of.

But for horror, you can't beat Deadlands. Where the forces beyond the material world are out to get you; and every hex is an invitation to corruption, every device a way to destruction.
In that vein I also like the Gothic Horror of Ravenloft, where some areas of magic become forbidden lore, yet still maintains a fairly fantasy feel to it. Necromancy becomes an even bigger force to deal with, and divination is kept mysterious.

As far as high fantasy goes, I like where the current level of steampunk and arcane technology is at. I kinda like it that the lines between science and magic are being blurred, as it allows for speculation, but it keeps to the dependable meta-rules for magic stuffs.
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLoremaster wrote:

They do if they're vegetarian zombies ...

"GRAAIINS!!!! GRAAIINS!!!" Very Happy

#Rofl Five stars!

I've said before, and I'll say it again. This form needs a "Like" button for posts!
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preference for magic is Mage: The Awakening style.

If we are talking traditional elf/dwarf/et al. fantasy, I think Conan is fun as well as Star Wars style.

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH
Lord Inar
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpmcalister wrote:
Hellfrost-style. Magic is, reasonably, common place but magical items are extremely rare.

Same here, although I still have yet to play Hellfrost (but would like to)
Best Internet page ever
Enpeze
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warhammer only.
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose "Middle Earth style" because it most closely fit, although I think I'm mostly in favor of the "Camelot" style fantasy. Most people don't use magic, but there are a few, like Merlin, who can and although they aren't necessarily evil, they are those who fear them.

Moreover, I like my magic items to only be able to be made except from the most powerful of the (rare) sorcerers. Basically, they should be rare, they should be special, and they should be much more valuable than "a +1 Magic Longsword" which you ditch as soon as you find a "+2 Magic Longsword".
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle Earthy for me ... but in an organic style too. I'll explain.

In one game I was playing a Norse warrior, a Huscarl who was caught up in some nasty business. We were using Harnmaster which uses Hit Location ... it hit the Neck a lot ... My character Olaf started calling out what was to become his sword's name 'Neck-Biter' loudly. If he had the advantage he'd do a called shot for the neck. Eventually his sword had a reputation and Olaf became Olaf the wielder of Neck-Biter or Olaf Neck-Biter for short. Where it gets organic is I talked to my GM about it and he agreed to lower the penalty to target the neck by 5% but raise it by 5% anywhere else. The rationale was that it was slowly gaining it's own sort of magic based on it's use and it's legend.

Magic is rare and few people ever see any. Nobody doubts in the existence of magic however and everyone believes that it was all around them but in a more organic and natural way. Fairy Rings, 'lucky' objects, Ulf the Lucky or Vigfis the Cursed, etc. Objects can be inherintly magical by design or by accident or circumstances as it was with Olaf's sword. True magic is enigmatic and anyone who can call magic into existence and command it to do a certain thing reliably is very powerful indeed. Magic is something that anyone can add to their toolbox but some are simply far more talented at it.

Having someone go down to the local shop and come back with a Mark IV Continuous Wand of Illumination just isn't my thing.
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes
samuraicrab
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I favor Middle earth style.
Orangataur
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My high fantasy settings tends to fall into a Terry-Pratchett-esque magic system, where magic tends to spoof common technology, especially if it helps me incorporate a new style into the game. If an adventure calls for a prison break, part of the experience is getting your mug shot taken via crystal ball.

For example, when I was hosting a D&D Encounters session, when a drow managed to land a particularly nasty crit on one of my PCs, he also pulled out his smartphone and tagged a picture of it. Two rounds later, everyone feels a buzzing in their pocket, is stunned to find a smartphone there that wasn't before, and that *someone* uploaded a picture on LolthBook of Regdar taking a spear in the gut. Twisted Evil

That being said, I've been pretty lucky of having my PCs recognizing these as gags to encourage roleplaying as opposed to new toys to use and abuse, and keeping these as one-shot items helps to ensure that they don't stick around to permanently change a setting.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preference is logical.

There was a pretty good book written called "A magical medieval society" where they basically put dnd in the middle ages and figured out how it would work. For example, in DnD, PC classes are literate. Everyone speaks common.

they talked about how spells would help with running a manor house.

In GURPS for example they say about 1% or so can cast a few spell; that means each village has a caster. But it doesn't take that many spells to radically improve harvest. and even the 1/500 can make, for example, mining for metal an obsolete profession
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the low end, but still there... Conan/Middle Earth/Lovecraft types.
fanchergw
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a GM, I focus on what level seems to make sense for the setting I'm envisioning and what I think will appeal to the players.

As a Player, I tend to prefer Middle-Earth to Conan levels of magic. I think this particularly works well with "historical fantasy" games, which I enjoy.

Gordon
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with magic very rare, is if it's rare with PCs, that can be frustrating to players. If it's not rare with PCs, then the players have a huge advantage over their mostly mundane foes, or they somehow run into the only evil wizard in an area, which is unlikely.

It is pretty important to make sure the players and GM agree on how common it is
The Dead Ranger
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, Earthdawn hit the balance just right. One could buy low powered magic items, potions and such at markets but the good stuff was rare and one had to invest time (usually including adventures) and xp to bond the items and make them work for you.

"If everyone's having fun, then you're doing it right."
nightgaunt98c
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm good with all of them. I really don't have a preference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Break Room All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: