Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create an NPC or a PC - quickly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Create an NPC or a PC - quickly Reply with quote

1st of all, I know. You don't have to create an NPC or monster following the rules for the standard PCs.

However, I like to play with the rules, and I love to create detailed characters, so I came with a simple, "dumb" table that help me to create NPCs, even high leveled, easily.
Why I do that? 'Cause, like a videogame, I like to tell my players "This party you encountered was equal of you as XPs" "This people was a rank under yours" etc. ^___^

Here is the table:
http://goo.gl/agtGi

I start with an almost standard empty NPC mini-sheet like this one:
Code:
NAME
Agility dx ~ Smarts dx ~ Spirit dx ~ Strength dx ~ Vigor dx
Charisma 0 ~ Pace 0 ~ Parry 0 ~ Toughness 0 (0) ~ Encumbrance 0 lb.
Skills: Boating (Agi), Climb (Str), Driving (Agi), Faith (Spi), Fighting (Agi), Gambling (Sma), Guts (Spi), Healing (Sma), Intimidation (Spi), Investigation (Sma), Knowledge _ (Sma), Lockpicking (Agi), Notice (Sma), Persuasion (Spi), Piloting (Agi), Repair (Sma), Riding (Agi), Shooting (Agi), Spellcasting (Sma), Stealth (Agi), Streetwise (Sma), Survival (Sma), Swimming (Agi), Taunt (Sma), Throwing (Agi), Tracking (Sma)
reminder: Knowledge list: cultura locale, ingegneria, geografia, religione, magia, navigazione, storia, tattica, natura
Hindrances:
Edges:
Special Abilities:
Powers: (PPs)
Gear:

Here is an example for create an NPC with my method:

#1imu2 I choose to create a NPC with 40 XP, so I follow this row:
Rank: Veteran - Xp: 40 - Attrib. 8 - Skills 20 - Hindr. 3 - Edges 5 - Master: No
Then I choose a concept, the name, the description and so on... I skip this part in the example.
#1imu2 I look at the Attrib. part: "8". A starting value of d4 is free, a d6 costs "1", a d8 costs "2" and so on. So I choose:
Code:
Agility d10 ~ Smarts d8 ~ Spirit d6 ~ Strength d6 ~ Vigor d6

#1imu2 I look at the Skills part: "20". A value of d4 costs "1", a d6 costs "2", a d8 costs "3" and so on. USUALLY I keep the value under or equal the linked Attrib. so I don't need to remember to spend 2 points for every skill die over the Attrib. I start to fill the skill block:
Code:
Skills: Boating (Agi) d4, Climb (Str), Driving (Agi), Fighting (Agi) d8, Gambling (Sma), Guts (Spi) d6, Healing (Sma) d4, Intimidation (Spi), Investigation (Sma), Knowledge "Magia" (Sma) d6, Lockpicking (Agi), Notice (Sma) d6, Persuasion (Spi) d6, Piloting (Agi), Repair (Sma), Riding (Agi) d4, Shooting (Agi),  Spellcasting (Sma) d8, Stealth (Agi), Streetwise (Sma), Survival (Sma) d4, Swimming (Agi), Taunt (Sma) d6, Throwing (Agi), Tracking (Sma)
reminder: Knowledge list: cultura locale, ingegneria, geografia, religione, magia, navigazione, storia, tattica, natura

#1imu2 Then I delete the empty, unused skills.
Code:
Skills: Boating (Agi) d4, Fighting (Agi) d8, Guts (Spi) d6, Healing (Sma) d4, Knowledge "Magia" (Sma) d6, Notice (Sma) d6, Persuasion (Spi) d6, Riding (Agi) d4, Spellcasting (Sma) d8, Survival (Sma) d4, Taunt (Sma) d6

#1imu2 Then I choose the Hindrances. That "3" help me to remember I have to choose 1 major (2 points), and 1 minor (1 point). Sometime I remove 1 or 2 points from here, so I could remove the same points from skills, or remove 1 edge if I remove 2 Hind. points. In this example I keep just 1 point, so I'll remove an edge.
Code:
Hindrances: Quirk (m): He always yells when cast spells!

#1imu2 Then I choose the Edges. I have 5 points to play with, but I remove 2 Hind., so I end with just 4 edges:
Code:
Edges: Arcane Background (Magic), Power Points, Acrobat, Charismatic

#1imu2 Then I fill the derivative characteristics, add the powers and the equip.
Code:
Charisma 2 ~ Pace 6 ~ Parry 7 (6 w.out staff) ~ Toughness 6 (1) ~ Encumbrance 30 lb.
Powers: (PPs 15)
- Shockwave (bolt, not-lethal damage, +2 AP)
- Air Flux Defense (Armor)
- Air Aid (Boost trait, no Lower trait, needs to justify with an air theme - ie winds help to climb, Duration 4/1)
Gear: Combat Staff, Leather Jacket (1)

Done!!!

Here the results:

RANLOS, MAGE OF THE WINDS (wc) - Rank: Veteran - Xp: 40
Cool description here.
Agility d10 ~ Smarts d8 ~ Spirit d6 ~ Strength d6 ~ Vigor d6
Charisma 2 ~ Pace 6 ~ Parry 7 (6 w.out staff) ~ Toughness 6 (1) ~ Encumbrance 30 lb.
Skills: Boating (Agi) d4, Fighting (Agi) d8, Guts (Spi) d6, Healing (Sma) d4, Knowledge "Magia" (Sma) d6, Notice (Sma) d6, Persuasion (Spi) d6, Riding (Agi) d4, Spellcasting (Sma) d8, Survival (Sma) d4, Taunt (Sma) d6
Hindrances: Quirk (m): He always yells when cast spells!
Edges: Arcane Background (Magic), Power Points, Acrobat, Charismatic
Powers: (PPs 15)
- Shockwave (bolt, not-lethal damage, +2 AP)
- Air Flux Defense (Armor)
- Air Aid (Boost trait, no Lower trait, needs to justify with an air theme - ie winds help to climb, Duration 4/1)
Gear: Combat Staff, Leather Jacket (1)

Very Happy I hope my table and "method" can be useful to someone!

PS: About Monstrous Abilities, I usually price them as 2 edges.
Of course, it's easy to "transfer" some point, when you know the standard rules. So if you need a couple more edges for your NPC, simply remove 4 skill points, or 2 Attrib.

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY

Last edited by Lord Lance on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:31 pm; edited 7 times in total
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, I'd say you should separate "skills" and "combat skills" for appropriate power levels. That way if I'm building a few soldiers appropriate for a Novice level combat encounter, I can just say "okay, they tend to have 5-6 die types between Fighting, Shooting, Throwing, a vehicle/Ride, and Spellcasting...my Novice Battle Mage has 2 in Fighting, 3 in Faith, and 1 in Riding." That way I can ignore the rest of the Skills if I think the NPC isn't going to do much besides get slain.

Also, is there a note about substituting Edges with Monstrous Abilities?

Anyway, I really like this, I think it'd be a great document to show to newcomers to the system - there's often questions about what's an appropriate challenge for PCs of a certain rank, and I think this is a great guideline.

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, finally I found the time to complete this topic. I hope that my gift is appreciated. Wink

Quote:
I like it, I'd say you should separate "skills" and "combat skills" for appropriate power levels.

As you can see, now that the post is finished, I generate the skills as I need them.

PS. the last column is useful when you have very powerful characters. Simply you have to build him like usual, remembering to reach a d12 in a Stat: then, turn it in a "d12+1" with professional, in "d12+2" with expert, or in "d12+2 wild d10) with "master". Easy, nah!?

amerigoV
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! It might help me as a player think about a good balance for a high level PC as well.
Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(removed - double post)

Last edited by Lord Lance on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, it's just a tool, but can be quilcky tweaked for your needs. I thought about making 3 different tables, something like "Skill specialized character" "Edge feast character" and "Higher attibutes character", but in the end It's quite simple to move points between a cell and another one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: