Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mid-Life Crisis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magicandstuff
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Mid-Life Crisis Reply with quote

Hey Pinnacle! Question about the "Fan" license. Or even the regular publishing license.

Say I want to publish a game, and I want to base it on Savage Worlds rules. I want to preserve the step-die mechanic and a lot of the core principles, and of course be up front with my readers that it's "based on" SW ... but I also want to hack out very large parts and replace them with my own inventions—because I think those parts help tell MY setting better—and incorporate elements clearly inspired from other game systems.

For example:
- abstract treasure & gear system
- abstract combat movement
- completely redone magic system for making rituals the focus of a quest instead of a single power to cast
- D&D-style Race/Class/Alignment character builds
- FATE-style metamechanics for player narrative

How far can I go before you don't let me use that neat little "FAN!" logo? Mechanically, it would be 60-70% SW, and the rest equal split between original material and other-system hacks.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mid-Life Crisis Reply with quote

magicandstuff wrote:
Say I want to publish a game, and I want to base it on Savage Worlds rules. I want to preserve the step-die mechanic and a lot of the core principles, and of course be up front with my readers that it's "based on" SW ... but I also want to hack out very large parts and replace them with my own inventions—because I think those parts help tell MY setting better—and incorporate elements clearly inspired from other game systems.

For example:
- abstract treasure & gear system
- abstract combat movement
- completely redone magic system for making rituals the focus of a quest instead of a single power to cast
- D&D-style Race/Class/Alignment character builds
- FATE-style metamechanics for player narrative

How far can I go before you don't let me use that neat little "FAN!" logo? Mechanically, it would be 60-70% SW, and the rest equal split between original material and other-system hacks.

The terms of the License don't allow reprinting the rules, so there's no way to release any product with 60-70% of the rules to begin with or even 6-7% for that matter really.

Which means just releasing a product with your own "Setting Rules," which isn't an issue as long as all other aspects of the license are followed as well.

Be aware that concepts similar to other systems are likely okay, but rules specifically from other systems would also not be possible under the license without permission from the publisher. And OGL material doesn't count since our license and the OGL are incompatible.

www.peginc.com
magicandstuff
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Cool.

So does "reprinting" mean no copy-and-paste, or no including them at all, even if they're rewritten in my own words and voice, and proper citations are given?

Quote:
1) Pinnacle Entertainment Group grants to the licensee the non-exclusive, non-assignable license to reference the Savage Worlds Rule System in their game, adventure, supplement, sourcebook, or other product.

5) The licensee agrees not to reproduce material from the Savage Worlds rulebook or any other copyrighted work without the express written consent of Pinnacle Entertainment Group or the copyright holder.

I guess I just want to be clear on the difference between "reference" and "reproduce."

Thanks!
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magicandstuff wrote:
So does "reprinting" mean no copy-and-paste, or no including them at all, even if they're rewritten in my own words and voice, and proper citations are given?

Quote:
1) Pinnacle Entertainment Group grants to the licensee the non-exclusive, non-assignable license to reference the Savage Worlds Rule System in their game, adventure, supplement, sourcebook, or other product.

5) The licensee agrees not to reproduce material from the Savage Worlds rulebook or any other copyrighted work without the express written consent of Pinnacle Entertainment Group or the copyright holder.

I guess I just want to be clear on the difference between "reference" and "reproduce."

Rewriting them is reproducing them. Referencing is mentioning parts of the book to provide direction to find the necessary source material.

"See Trait Tests in Savage Worlds" is a reference. Explaining how Trait Tests work is reproducing material from the book.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: