Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Force tricks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alpasdebol
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Force tricks Reply with quote

Hello!

I want to try a new trick based on block and push the opponent.
Like a swordman I want to block the opponent's attack with my sword then push his arm to distract him.

I don't how to get this effect in game terms: I suggest a defensive position (+2 with parry) combined with an opposed roll of strenght.

What would you suggest? Question
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm...actually, I would count what you're talking about as just a trapping of Parry. I assume swordsmen are using all the tools at their disposal as people actually would have outside a formal dual or sporting match.

Now, if you're talking about shoving your opponent off balance...

PERSONALLY

I don't have a problem with a Trick that uses Strength (for the shove) vs. Agility (to regain footing), but that's all it needs to be - a Trick.

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with SlasherEpoch but I take it it would be 'effective strength' for a force ability.

It could be used exactly the same way if you want to shove an opponent off their feet/balance in a weapon with sword and board, etc.

If attack is parried it could be reasoned the weapon/shield is still in contact with the attacker's weapon/shield so a shove as a trick Str vs Agl or Str to resist. I've done it that way in my game from the beginning. Cool
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes
Dylan S
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I invented a "Shove" maneuver for my 80s Action Movie setting based on Disarm. The attacker makes an attack at -2. Damage is resolved normally. Then the defender must roll STR or AGI (their choice) against the damage. If they fail, the attacker can Shove them a distance of one square, or two squares with a raise. A raise is also required to lift someone straight up in the air. 'Shove' can also be attempted with firearms, to a maximum push of a single square (this for the classic scene of a villain being riddled with bullets and staggering off a catwalk, out a window, etc). Worked well for us.

But if it's not important that you actually move the opponent on the grid, then just do what Slasher and Epoch suggested: describe it as a Trick.
Granthar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldnt that be an ebtangle then a strength roll?

Check out my latest Rippers adventure at http://rippertales.wikia.com/wiki/Tom_%22Rig%22_Jenson
Magnus
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Baulderstone's suggestion, it might be a solution.
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=540086&page=4
alpasdebol
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus wrote:

I'm really a dumber #1eek1

My stupid french tongue made a mistake: I AM TALKING ABOUT STRENGHT TRICKS Embarassed

I don't want to disarm the opponent but only distract him with a little push after blocking his attack...
Magnus
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alpasdebol wrote:
Magnus wrote:

I'm really a dumber #1eek1

My stupid french tongue made a mistake: I AM TALKING ABOUT STRENGHT TRICKS Embarassed

I don't want to disarm the opponent but only distract him with a little push after blocking his attack...

Pardon, j'ai pas fait attention. Prochaine fois je vais lire le "thread*" avant de faire des commentaires...

Magnus - Le Piorad Danois.

*Quel est le mot pour un "thread" en Francais?
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaahh!!!
So, in addition to Agility Tricks and Smarts Tricks, you wish to add Strength Tricks to the ...errr, ..ummm....Repertoire! Very Happy

Actually, I don't see why not. If a big, burly guy wishes to shove a small, scrawny guy off-ballance, it would be an opposed Strength vs Strength roll, right?
The result being not to push him off a cliff or prone, but to get the -2 and/or Shaken result.

SteveN
alpasdebol
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snate56 wrote:
Aaaahh!!!
So, in addition to Agility Tricks and Smarts Tricks, you wish to add Strength Tricks to the ...errr, ..ummm....Repertoire! Very Happy

Actually, I don't see why not. If a big, burly guy wishes to shove a small, scrawny guy off-ballance, it would be an opposed Strength vs Strength roll, right?
The result being not to push him off a cliff or prone, but to get the -2 and/or Shaken result.

SteveN

Absolutely / Tout a fait!!! Wink

The trick I want to simulate is a blocking action combined with a strenght trick.
The opponent attacks, I block his arm with my weapon or my arm then I push his arm to destabilize him Twisted Evil
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alpasdebol wrote:
The trick I want to simulate is a blocking action combined with a strenght trick.
The opponent attacks, I block his arm with my weapon or my arm then I push his arm to destabilize him Twisted Evil

Then all you're actually doing is the Strength Trick. The blocking thing is just how you describe it happening.

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: