Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deadlands: Ultimate Music Post??? (LONG)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> DL Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dane
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Deadlands: Ultimate Music Post??? (LONG) Reply with quote

Hi all!

Over the past years that I’ve been on the listserve, the DRC, and the forum boards here, the issue of music has come up time and time again.
Others have noted this as well! Take a look at this blast from the past…

It seems this question gets asked so often, we should put together some sort of list that could be updated all the time, like the Epitaph titles Allen has. Anyone have any ideas?
Marguerite of EMGB, otherwise known as Maggie Jensen
May 3, 2001

So, I decided to try and do something I’ve wanted to do since forever. I have researched as much as I can to try to build the ultimate list of what other players of Deadlands have said they use as music for their games. Do you all have anything you’d like to add?

Please Remember
    #1icon_wall I searched for mainly the term “music,” so I may have missed threads that did not include this in their titles.

#1dead Some titles may have language that might be considered offensive to some. Read at your own risk.

Eh I tried to include responses that added something new to the thread.

Exclamation The responses to the various threads have been edited for length, but not for content. Therefore, many selections may have been repeated over the years.

Laughing Maybe when I get the gumption, I can distill the list. Until then, here you go!

Threads Started regarding this subject:
Listserve – January 13, 2000
Listserve – June 3, 2000
Listserve – November 18, 2000
Listserve – May 3, 2001
DRC – February 19, 2003
DRC – May 1, 2003
PEG DL Forum – ???

Scott Messer – (Listserve, January 13, 2000)
When I 'm in the mood to give my posse a good musical jolt, I'll toss on the Sixteen Horsepower album, Sackcloth and Ashes. Track one, I Seen What I Saw, sets the mood nicely. I also like to use Metallica's tributes to Lovecraft's Mythos; Things that Should Not Be, Call of Kthulu, and Through the Never. I have also found that garage surf bands like The Bomboras, the Swingin' Neckbreakers, Los Straitjackets, The Ghastly Ones, and Red Elvis (especially their contributions to the Six String Samurai soundtrack) work rather well as incidental music.

Nick Zachariasen – (Listserve, January 13, 2000)
Well, here are the that I put on one myself- I titled the thing "Deadlands: Songs Ta Shoot Thangs By":

General Western feel
Bon Jovi- Wanted: Dead or Alive; Blaze of Glory
Lenny Kravitz: Are You Gonna Go My Way (from MTV's Unplugged Collecton Vol. 1)
Kenny Rogers: The Gambler
Guns N' Roses: You Ain't The First
The Beatles: Rocky Racoon
Kiss: A World Without Heroes
Weezer: Dukes of Hazzard theme

Mississippi Delta feel
Aerosmith: Hangman Jury
CCR: Born on the Bayou; Bad Moon rising
Santana: Black Magic Woman
(note: I wanted to put St. John by Aerosmith on, but I had to cut it)

Saloon feel
The Rolling Stones: Honky Tonk Women (also fits the Delta feel category)
Garth Brooks: Friends In Low Places

Other songs I added
Lynyrd Skynyrd: Free Bird (just sorta felt Southern)
Bob Dylan: Knockin' On Heaven's Door (good for dying characters- I also wanted to put Comportably Numb by Pink Floyd on for the nightmares of soon-to-be Harrowed)

Lord Jobe – (Listserve, January 13, 2000)
Add:
Tracy Lawrence: Renegades, Rebels, & Rogues
Clint Black: Good Run of Bad Luck
Waylon Jennings: Dukes of Hazzard Theme; Don't Mess around with Me
Charlie Daniels: Devil Went Down to Georgia
Toby Keith: Should've Been a Cowboy
Hank Williams Jr.: Attitude Adjustment

I'd suggest a few more:
AC/DC: Back in Black, Big Gun, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Highway to Hell, T.N.T.
Led Zepplin/Paige & Plant: Gallows Pole

ERIK WEISSENGRUBER – (Listserve, January 14, 2000)
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds "Murder Ballads" and "Kicking Against the Pricks"
Tom Waits "Bone Machine"

Jon Padgett – (Listserve, January 14, 2000)
The sound track to the Twin Peaks TV show was perfect. I used this one until the end when all Hell broke loose. Then I used the Carmina Burana by Carl Orf. For those who don't know this, it was used in both The Omen and The Doors (The bit where Jim Morrison's drinking blood) as well as an old 'Old Spice' ad.

Allan Seyberth – (Listserve, January 14, 2000)
Here's my list - I really don't like vocals in the music, they tend to distract me.

Best of the West (misc. western tracks)
Crimson Tide selections
Ennio Morricone compilation
For a Few Dollars More soundtrack
Indian Jones TV soundtracks selections
Mask of Zorro soundtrack
Tex Murphy computer game tracks
Outlaws computer game tracks
Pinnacle CD
Replacement Killers selections
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly soundtrack.
Truth and the Light - X-files

Here's some others that I've gotten suggestions for off of the list, but haven't picked up yet.
Addam's Family 1
Bladerunner
Broken Arrow
Magnificent 7
Quick and the Dead
Silverado
Tombstone
Ravenous Soundtrack

Murder Ballads by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Big Trouble in Little China
Carmina Burana

Jeff Tolle – (Listserve, January 14, 2000)
I have a thing for "Working in a Coal Mine." If you can find the original then go for it. Otherwise DEVO did a great cover of it. It doesn't necessarily work for a western theme, but I can see DEVO's version working very well for Salt Lake City. It has a very retro-modern feel to it.

PJB333 – (Listserve, January 14, 2000)
You could try Metallica's cover of Turn the Page.
Maybe some Creed? or Days of the New? Not the new stuff.

Celia Tite – (Listserve, January 14, 2000)
The sound track for the Public Eye is good for background.

Ed Barnes – (Listserve, January 14, 2000)
I'm seting up a series of MP3s for my sessions;
Max Webster - Battle Scar
Ted Nugent - Great White Buffalo
Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills
Iron Maiden - Hallowed be thy Name
Loreena McKennitt - The Highwayman
Kansas - Dust in the Wind
Led Zeppelin - Gallows Pole
Rush - The Twilight Zone
Stevie Ray Vaughn - Voodoo Chile
The Bangles - Hazy Shade of Winter
Plus numerous Satriani and Eric Johnson instumentals as well as a few select cuts from a band nobody outside the Houston-Metro area would recognize - Miss Molly and the Whips (Anyone familiar with this local legend should be able to guess the tracks in question.)

Chris Hoffman – (Listserve, January 14, 2000)
Willy Nelson - Mama don't let yer babies grow up to be cowboys & On the road again
Alabama - If yer gonna play in Texas & Mountain Music
Alan Jackson - Chattahoochie (SP?)
Johnny Cash - Ghost riders in the sky, I walk the line, & Ring of fire
Garth Brooks - Pappa Loved Mama
Kenny Rodgers - The Gambler & Coward of the county
Kool Moe Dee - Wild Wild West
The Vandals - Urban Struggle (I want to be a cowboy)
?????? - I wanna be a cowboy (Forgot the name of the group and 80's song)
Marty Robbins - El Paso, Big Iron, & Red River Valley

Greywolf – (Listserve, January 14, 2000)
Being very opposed to country music (and i live in Idaho!) I would suggest the following mood music:
Death Angel: Seemingly Endless Time
W.A.S.P.: Blind in Texas
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Red Right Hand
Alice In Chains: actually, quite a few, Dam that River and Down in a Hole are good Harrowed-feel songs.
The Alan Parson's Project: Tales of Mystery and Imagination Edgar Allan Poe, the entire cd is pretty good.
Prong: the Beg to Differ cd
Pantera: Cowboys from Hell and quite a bit of the Vulgar Display of Power cd
Sting: Love is Stronger than Justice (the Munificent Seven)
The Revolting Cocks and a few Ministry hits (both starring Alien Jourgensen)
Lynyrd Skynyrd, in addition to Freebird mentioned earlier, Gimme Three Steps is pretty good
Guns and Roses: Out to get me among others.

Greywolf – (Listserve, January 16, 2000)
There are several good [Blue Oyster Cult] songs that fit well into a Deadlands or Hell On Earth game in addition to the aforementioned songs.
'Death Valley Nights', 'Career of Evil', 'After Dark', 'Don't Turn Your Back', 'See You In Black', 'Cold Gray Light Of Dawn', 'Hot Rails To Hell', 'I Am The Storm', 'When The War Comes' among others.
Sidenote: Michael Moorcock wrote three songs for BOC: Black Blade, Veteran of the Psychic Wars and The Great Sun Jester.

Mark Land – (Listserve, January 16, 2000)
You should try KMFDM(it really would work better for hoe,but it still is good, anarchistic "Combat Music").
The soundtrack from the computer-game "Redneck Rampage" also makes great mood music for not-so-serious tales.

Rich Lewis – (Listserve, January 20, 2000)
You might also want to try any of the soundtrack work by Joe Strummer, particularly "Straight To Hell" and "Walker," both have a really cool western feel to them. (Check out the movies if you get a chance, too!) Also, give Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros new CD a spin... you might just find something of value in there....

Jolly Roger – (Listserve, June 4, 2000)
If you are one of the "harder" kind, try Desperados, a Metal Group feat.

Thomas Mayfield – (Listserve, June 4, 2000)
For the tense, creeping through the Deadland music, I use a combination of Hitchcock CDs and the Jurassic Park soundtrack.

Richard A. Ranallo – (Listserve, June 4, 2000)
If you can get it, the best Deadlands music I've found so far is the Straight to Hell soundtrack. It has a rendition of the theme song for "the good, the bad and the ugly," done by the Pogues (though honestly, it's the worst song they ever did before Shane MacGowan left the band, IMnsHO). The music overall is perfect western music, with the unique advantage that it was done mostly by the Clash (plus, if any of you read The Preacher, I'm fairly certain that Garth Ennis was listening to this a lot while writing it).

Quinn A. Conklin – (Listserve, June 4, 2000)
on the music side of things i would recomened The Irish volntear. this is a colection of period music of the irish brigade during the cival war. it does sound a bit more irish then westeren but it is as period as you can get for the most part.

Guilherme Moraes – (Listserve, June 7, 2000)
The sounds of Alone in the Dark 3 it's short but there a cool scary sounds.

Geir Carlstrψm – (Listserve, November 21, 2000)
I've made my own Deadlands Soundtrack, for my campaigns. Since I collect Western movie soundtracks, I have lot's of them, so I found the best on each CD and made my collection. Did the same with the bad guy music, like Dracula, Crimson Tide, The Rock, Intwerview with a Vampire, Seven etc. I also use some classics, like Carmina Burana and some Beethoven.
There is treasures out there, on different soundtracks. When I see a new movie, any movie, I listen to the music, and if I like it and thinks it might be cool in Deadlands, i buy the soundtrack and use it. Last catch is the Galdiator soundtrack. It's great! That and the 13th Warrior.

Frank Sennholz – (Listserve, November 21, 2000)
Once Upon A Time In The West is a great soundtrack. Sometimes too slow and melodramatic, but really cool. If I need something faster and aggressive, I stick to Essential Country Bullshit from Waltons.(Country Metal, really strange stuff)

Neil Gage – (Listserve, November 22, 2000)
Have to say that Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds seem to have been formed just for this game. Especially the murder ballads album. Depends if you mind the strong language though.

Rich Ranallo – (Listserve, November 22, 2000)
OK, I post on this topic only once a year, so here goes:
Straight to Hell, Soundtrack. At least two tracks on this album are 5+ minutes of instrumental Western music. The parts that aren't still make for a good soundtrack for your game (except perhaps Salsa y Ketchup, but that stands on its own merits). The Pogues even Cowboyifyed a couple of their usual songs for the soundtrack.
Six String Samurai, soundtrack. A mix of classical and rock guitar songs, with a Spanish/Western tendency.
Dead Man, soundtrack. Composed and played by Neil Young, this album is entirely done in heavily distorted guitar. Very good
Ravenous, soundtrack. This is the kind of music that Al Jourgensen would've made if he was born in 1823.
(along with the above soundtracks, see those movies right away)
The Pogues have quite a few songs scattered throughout their discography that make great Deadlands music, the best of which is "A pistol for Paddy Garcia." Unfortunately, a lot of it isn't the best for the setting. Still damn fine music, but not necessarily what you're looking for. The best albums of theirs to get for this purpose are "Hell's Ditch" and "Rum, Sodomy and the Lash."
There's a band called Sixteen Horsepower that plays folky, weird rock. A review of one of their Albums was the first time I had seen the word "cattlepunk" used outside of gaming.
Rasputina is good for haunting-sounding music. The band is simply three female singers/celloists. They wrote the only song that ever made me afraid of the dark.
Somewhere out there, there is an album of Johnny Cash songs that have been remixed by Trent Reznor. I don't know what this album is called, and I've only heard one song off of it, but that must be some of the most Deadlandsy music ever recorded.

Giles Sutcliffe – (Listserve, May 4, 2001)
Some of the stuff I use (excluding perviously-mentioned stuff):
16 Horsepower - Hoarse. For the vibe mainly, but there's a superb cover of Bad Moon Rising which is perfect.
Clint Mansell's Requiem for a Dream soundtrack - good for creepy games. The music from Pi (another Clint soundtrack) is also good, but a bit modern for Deadlands.
The soundtrack from the film Paris Texas.
I'd use the soundtrack from Dead Man if I had a copy!
Apocalyptica - Metallica on cellos.
Future Sound of London - Dead Cities and ISDN - more electronic weirdness (see previous poster's mention of Aphex Twin, which I second)

Marguerite Frey – (Listserve, May 4, 2001)
Here's what's in the CD player on our Saturdays:
Tombstone soundtrack (frequently commented on as "Wyatt and Doc getin' uppity with the Cowboys again" when the track doesn't mesh with the scene)
Resident Evil 2 soundtrack (all around good)
Wild Wild West soundtrack (except for that god-awful dischordious track where Loveless is revealing his master plan and Will Smith is in drag)
Red Nex (Swedish techno remixes of classic American western songs, like Cotton Eyed Joe. Way cool - McKenzie Brothers is especially popular)
Occasional apperances by Juno Reactor's "Pistolero", the Princess Mononoke soundtrack (worked great for the evil forest demons), and coming soon, the recommended Aphex Twin S.A.W. Vol. II

Kimmy Craig – (Listserve, May 4, 2001)
I use the sound tracks from:
Young Guns (1 and 2)
Unforgivin
Tombstone
Wyatt Earp

Then some other stuff:
Deadlands CD
Outlaws game tracks
Dust game tracks
Of course the 'sketti Western stuff by Mancini
Some Johhny Cash, Kenny Rogers, and other country artists.

Marguerite Frey – (Listserve, October 16, 2002)
I stumbled upon this site today when doing some research on DeadLands period operas:

http://www.classicalworks.com/his.pages/1871to1880.htm

The site lists births, deaths, premiers and notable events by year, organized in decades, as far back as 1000 AD. Famous composers active during the Deadlands timeframe include Gilbert & Sullivan, Bizet, Wagner, Tchaikovsky and Brahms. In opera, the European facination with Egypt reigned supreme with such works as "Aida" and "Samson et Delila".
For those of you interested, I've listed entries for
1876 through 1878 below:
1876:
-Bayreuth Festspielhaus opens with first complete performance of Wagner's "Ring des Nibelungen"
-Brahms: Symphony No. 1, Opus 68
-Pablo Casals, Spanish Cellist, born
-Leo Delibes: "Sylvia," ballet, Paris
-Manuel de Falla, Spanish composer, born
-Ponchielli:"La Gioconda," opera, Milan
-Wagner: "Siegfried," opera, Bayreuth
-Bruno Walter, German conductor, born
-Ermanno Wolf-Ferrari, Italian-German composer, born

1877:
-Brahms: Symphony No. 2, Opus 75
-Ernst von Dohnanyi, Hungarian pianist and composer, born
-Publication of complete edition of Mozart's works begins (completed in 1904)
-Camille Saint-Saens: "Samson et Delila," opera, Weimar
-Tchaikovsky: "Francesca da Rimini," symphonic poem

1878:
-A.W. Ambros: "Geschichte der Musik"
-Rutland Boughton, English composer, born
-Gilbert and Sullivan: "H.M.S. Pinafore"
-George Grove begins "Dictionary of Music and Musicians" (first complete edition 1889)

Marguerite – (DRC, March 6, 2003)
Hello! My name is Marguerite and this is my first post. However it's about music, a favorite topic. We tend to use lots of game soundtracks because of the ambience. Our current favorite Deadlands background music includes:
Resident Evil OST (I have them all)
Vagrant Story OST
Princess Mononoke OST (especially the forest demon attack track)
Wild Wild West OST
and...
"Farm Out!" and "Sex and Violins" by RedNex. Techno country music, you can't go wrong with it.
I also like the Tombstone OST, but the music tends to be either overpowering or underwhelming

Dane – (DRC, May 1, 2003)
* A Fistful of Dollars (ASIN: B000009NU1)
* For A Few Dollars More (ASIN: B0000072CB)
* The Good, The Bad and the Ugly (ASIN: B000002UDT)
These movies, of course, are the Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Western genre and their music, by Ennio Marcione, is the quintessential sounds of the Weird West. There should be many versions of these available.
* Outlaws (Lucas Arts)
Additionally, try to find an old copy of the Outlaws game for PC. This is an excellent mood music set of songs. I finally burned them all on to a CD for convenience, but this is what I started with back in 1996.
* Selected Ambient Works Vol. II (Aphex Twin -- ASIN: B000002MNZ)
This is a strange one, I know, but for creepy music you can't get any better than this. It has a more electronic, "mad scientist" feel, but still a great mood setter.
* Dark Themes from Beyond (Where Evil Lurks) by Alex Otterlei
* The Hunter, The Hunted by Alex Cremers

Erik – (DRC, May 1, 2003)
The Ravenous soundtrack is great for Weird West, some songs have a very subtle twist -going from a light folk tune to some dark Indian tune- in them. Nice for those horror sessions.
The Silverado soundtrack is also quite, quite good. Although less on the horror and creepy side, its perfect background filler for more mundane western sessions. Great inspirational movie too.

Corinthian – (DRC, May 16, 2003)
Western Feel Music:
Oh Brother where art thou (not really western music, but good anyways)
Maverick Soundtrack
Tombstone Soundtrack
Quick and the Dead soundtrack
Anything by Ennio Morricone
Any other Spagetti music really, and western movies compilation sountracks

Scary Feel Soundtracks
Blade (original soundtrack, not remix cd)
Bram Stokers Dracula (the best scary music ever, EVER)
Ravenous
Silnece of the Lambs
Sixth Sense
Unbreakable
Omen
Sleepy Hollow
13th warrior
The Mummy
Terminator 2

Military campaign soundtracks
Gettysburg
Glory
Gladiator

Others
Conan (both of them)
Geronimo (indian campaign)
Last of the Mohicans (same)
Last man standing

Beelzebubba – (DRC, June 9, 2003)
I guess my gaming crew is a bit different, we generally go with the soundtrack to "From Dusk 'til Dawn" and "Renegade"
Also time for a blatant plug. The best Deadlands band "Ghoultown". Check them out at http://www.Ghoultown.com.

Jenny – (DRC, June 10, 2003)
Hello! A few soundtracks that I don't believe have been mentioned yet:
The Claim
Last Man Standing
John Carpenter's Vampires

Whew!

I hope this gives at least a nice sampling of what Deadlands players have been using for several years now. Enjoy!

Game on,

Dane #freak
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> DL Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: