Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wounds vs Fatigue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elf23
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Wounds vs Fatigue Reply with quote

Hi Clint

More of a point of interest than a question about the rules, per se, but i 've been wondering why there are 3 levels of Wounds and only 2 levels of Fatigue? In that sense it seems like it's easier for characters to be incapacitated by fatigue than by wounds.

Thanks!
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Wounds vs Fatigue Reply with quote

elf23 wrote:
More of a point of interest than a question about the rules, per se, but i 've been wondering why there are 3 levels of Wounds and only 2 levels of Fatigue? In that sense it seems like it's easier for characters to be incapacitated by fatigue than by wounds.

In that sense, it is easier, but there are multiple other factors that play into it as well. Fatigue is easier to avoid in the sense that essentially it skips attack and damage rolls outside the character's influence and in a sense goes directly to a free "Soak roll" to avoid the effect.

Ultimately, it is a different effect even with similarities, and thus doesn't work exactly the same because of that. And we just never prioritized consistency over actual game play. But I think that's pretty obvious in more ways than just Fatigue.

www.peginc.com
elf23
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i'd kind of guessed it was down to how it works in play over consistency. I was just thinking the "condition track" would be simpler if there was only one set of boxes for -1, -2 and -3, with wounds & fatigue both using the same boxes. But i'll trust it's balanced as is. Thanks!
shadd4d
Legendary

Location: Charlottesville, VA...I miss Deutschland and Chicago.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elf23 wrote:
I was just thinking the "condition track" would be simpler if there was only one set of boxes for -1, -2 and -3, with wounds & fatigue both using the same boxes.

In my opinion, that just makes life a lot harder on the characters; look at the problems with one set of things for all. For example, look at the sanity mechanic in CoC which eventually is supposed to be both sanity and influence of social mores. Or the similar HP mechanic from D&D, which reflects damage as well as fatigue due to environmental effects. I find this split a lot better, especially compared to games which don't really have a well defined mechanic for differentiated between sources of fatigue and actual damage. For instance, something like L5R needed all kinds of work-arounds (shrinking attributes, lack of dice, etc) in order to simulate the wound penalties in Shadowrun or SW or DL:C's Wind vs Wounds.

"But there is a difference between fear and horror. An important difference.
Fear is when you worry about what might be.
Horror is when you are certain." Dannyboy01
Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real "problem" here is that Extras has no Wounds, so Shaken/K.O., but retain the full "1Fatigue/2Fatigue/Inc."
I think that S.W. should find a simplified fatigue system for Extras too. Something like "Shaken/Stressed Out": in "Stressed Out" situation, the Extra is too worried about his "level of fatigue" to be useful in the actual scene: too tired, too stressed, too lazy etc.

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY
77IM
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a Fatigued Extra should just be knocked out. That keeps combat pretty quick. For overland travel with allies/henchmen, use something like the Walking Wounded rule.

-- 77IM
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the issue with Extras and Fatigue. The wound difference from Wild Cards is to make combat flow faster, but Fatigue is primarily a non-combat long-term effect.

And since it is non-combat, how it affects Extras is already covered by the Group Roll rules for them. So it's easy to keep track of, as all the Extras will have the same level of Fatigue based on the result of the Group Roll.

Really, I think making it work differently would actually be more of an issue in play and could in fact slow the game down. Players would be waiting on Extras to recover from Fatigue, so it ends up being stop and go travel in extreme conditions.

And since the Wild Cards could take more Fatigue, stopping for Extras to recover means Fatigue is never really going to be an issue for them when traveling with Extras (unless they let them die of exposure and just keep on).

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: