Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOE: How to raise strain threshold beyond 17?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harpy
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: HOE: How to raise strain threshold beyond 17? Reply with quote

One thing that has puzzled me is how to raise your strain threshold past 17? If you have Vigor at d12 and then take the edge in the Brainburners book that gives you +5 more to your strain, how do you get it higher than that?

The character sheets strain meter goes up to 22, so presumably there is some way to get an additional +5 on top of the 17.
WilyQuixote
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need to do is raise that d12 five steps till its d12+10. Granted its prohibitively expensive but it will net you a Strain of 22.
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya. Upping stats is a good way to do that. Supernatural Trait might be a better way of doing it though.

I recall that there is a Syker book or two (Book of Five Rings iirc) that will increase your strain slightly. I think there are some drugs that help you blast as well.

Honestly, I think the 22 Strain meter is just a hppy accident. It isn't really even feasible to have 17 Strain. It might also be for bookkeeping purposes (like Fortitude). I wouldn't really worry about it. You won't likely ever have 22+ Strain anyways.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fastest way to Strain 22: Supernatural Trait (by the book, you can't buy a stat above d12) and equivalents.

Alternates include Extra Strain edges, a couple of Syker drugs, and some monster coups (especially the Brain Glom in Unity - our Syker has 25 strain!).
nerovipus
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could make him a doom-syker with the greenie hindrance and the edges: child of the atom lvl 5, steel trap mind lvl 2
which leaves the 3 points you need for the back ground. That brings you to 19 strain
Psykoguy
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also external sources of strain to mitigate the use. However, when I've played sykers, I've always been one to use powers as a last resort.
Hunting Moon
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenie gives you Arcane Background: syker. So you can not be both a Doomsayer and a Syker, each Arcane Backround is mutally exclusive.
Fists-of-Dorn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Generally speaking, Hunting Moon, it is true that a character cannot develop two arcane backgrounds due to the nature in which each sect focuses and channels power from the Hunting Grounds. However Greenies are generally able to bypass this rule, a fact that I dislike- but it's there in the setting so I live with it, due to how and when they begin developing their Syker powers.
Most, if not all- I do not have the time to check right now, of the books dealing with Arcane Backgrounds have a section discussing Greenies in the section on "How to become a -such and such-". Typically the heading is "Junker of *Arcane Background the book is about*" or "Syker of *Arcane Background the book is about*".
For example in the Children o' the Atom book on page 65 it is discussed under the heading of "Sykers of Doom". There it goes into detail about being able to use strain acquired from any source to fuel powers from either background- though so far as I can tell the Greenie's special ability to spend strain in order to gain a more potent effect from his Syker power is only able to do so with Syker powers- as it is specific to Blastin' and causes Brainburn if he fails the associated Spirit roll, but I could be mistaken on that.

Hope that helps.

-Fists.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: