Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage Eclipse Phase
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyrdhamster
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Savage Eclipse Phase Reply with quote

Thought anyone about savgaing the Eclipse Phase game?

It's Creative Commons, fully legal game, and any conversion is legal in that light. More on Eclipse Phase here.

EDIT: Changed topic name in to statement, not question, as work has begun. Twisted Evil

Last edited by wyrdhamster on Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
77IM
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like a really good candidate for Savaging. I like the idea of switching to a new body with all new stats, but I think the detailed rules of Eclipse Phase are an impediment. Games where you create multiple characters (or multiple bodies, in this case) should have really fast character creation, and SW fits the bill. The big problem, I think, is that radically non-human characters don't work as well in SW. I think a good starting point for the conversion might be the Necessary Evil/Supers Companion powers system, since it allows very flexible characters and crazy super-human levels of ability.

-- 77IM
Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About that part, I think you simply need to create some "templates", and switch from one to another, when you change body. However, it's not so common to do that (it's expensive, it's not a flawless technology, an hacker could "play" with your memory data while they are trasmitted, if you are a scoundrel, you have to use "pirate" internet nodes... etc.)

PS: great game, original setting, cool transhuman sci-fi... finally... Creative Commons!
wyrdhamster
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Lance wrote:
About that part, I think you simply need to create some "templates", and switch from one to another, when you change body.

I think we can easily just make Morph type as "Race", only giving it two bonuses, and one Flaw, made in to the morphs type itself. NeoHomini ( Uplifted Animals ) could just be made with Fantasy Companion ( BTW: WHEN WILL BE S-F Companion?! ), each on case by case, or just animal type. You change Morp, your bouseses change a bit, that's all. Wink

Lord Lance wrote:

PS: great game, original setting, cool transhuman sci-fi... finally... Creative Commons!

Yeah, I totaly agree with that. It's best S-F I read to this day, and demo was one of best session I played, ever. Wink

BTW: I today made characters to classical Cyberpunk 2020 - it was so ssslooowww and tiring experience. And When I think about original EP character building with point buy Skills and all cold shiver goes down my spin. This system needs to be Savaged! Very Happy
Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. Too many skills, too much useless details... I think Eclipse Phase could be a GREAT S.W. product in less then 80 pages...
wyrdhamster
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some first take, feel free to comment it. Link . Wink
serene_muse
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a d6 conversion, and while IIRC it really only convered chargen that was 2-3 pages tops.
wyrdhamster
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking lastly about conversion and I think I will use some, ( or many ;] ) rules from free Cyberpunk rules from Triple Aces - here you go.

What I lack is some disadvantage for using the Biomorphs. I was thinking about giving free Hindrance to character, major one, like Olympians will generate Overconfident tendencies and a like, to capture a feel of the Morph better. What do you think about this idea?

If go this rout the Overconfident, normally, Ego could just take Olympians and wouldn't suffer any drawbacks - maybe it's okey?

EDIT: Very large updates, made most of Morphs, only those more unhuman will slowly be done. On first fire will go Neo-Homids and Arachnoids as they are needed for demo to be run on SW mechanics. Cool
wyrdhamster
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think how to solve New Economy and Reputations system and how to change Old Economy "buy equipment with this and this number of credits" to something more abstract, like SW Wealth rules. Any suggestions?
Rorik36
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work so far. The first thing I though after picking the book up was how to Savage it. Hopefully I can find some time this summer to try this out.
Fargg
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this was dead.

I agree with posters so far. I was taken in by the initial brush (very simple resolution mechanic) and talked my group into playing it.

The system is pretty hideous. Good RPing ideas just get sucked away by all the rules. Our minmaxer was gleeful at first but eventually he got a bit bored by the tedium of all the calculations.

Conveniently they've realized the system is not the strength; almost all the sourcebooks are system-lite to system-non-existant. The new Gatecrasher book is great. And they're continuing to release official torrents for the books to show their commitment to the open source thing.

On the conversion front

Personally I think that any conversion should be very "savage".
A crazy/big setting with a huge number of potential NPCs, setting changes and assorted weirdness screams for a "lite" rules setting. And Firewall is perfect for focusing on a savage game.
The "you can die easily but be resleeved" "run multiple forks" "have a sword-to-gun fight in micro gravity with an ape man" and so on all scream Savage Worlds to me.

Generally most of the conversion is going to just be tossing and simplifying rules. A lot of the minor effects of the rules can be handled by roleplaying; especially the morph modifications, cyberware and so on.
A lot of the advantages would make great edges with minor tweaking.
Races would work well to provide small advantages for backgrounds.
Professional edges could be worked out for some of the bigger factions (i.e. Ultimates, Mercurians, etc.)

However I see changing morphs regularly as a big part of the setting. Ideally It should be easy to implement and simple to understand.
I agree that there should only be a small number of effects per morph but it's not modeled well using the race system of SW (and the race system of SW isn't designed to allow changes rapid or frequent changes it's one of the first choices you make in character creation because it is potentially very so fundamental to later calculations).

In particularly increasing dice sizes for attributes seems like a no go to me because 1) it's not simple and 2) the balancing effects of attributes really show up when you -buy- skills. Someone getting into a very agile combat morph increases your skills in EP, and I think that is important to reflect in the system.

I would suggest that morphs be treated as gear and just have simple defined effects.

Two ideas to reflect bonuses provided by higher end morphs

Option 1: Flat +1 bonus to certain skills (i.e. physical or mental) (or maybe +2 for the truly amazing morph).
-- Pros: Simple; There are items and edges out there that give +1/-1
--Cons: If it's only -1,0,+1 there isn't much variation if you have +2 then the good morphs become amazing
(I.E. someone with d4 in fighting in an ultimate (+2) is going to average 4.5; someone with d10 in fighting in a flat (-1) is going to average 4.5 -- that basically "breaks" the implication in EP that your ego's skills are an essential factor.)

Option 2: Changing "aceing". (more of a thought experiment)
--Mooks morphs could just be handled in the attributes (i.e. offscreen). Singificant NPCs will be wild cards (and thus have Wild Dice and likely encounter the PCs in different morphs)

Changing Acing just means that you Ace on a 5 or a 6 on a roll of d6. So you roll another d6 and add to the original roll (of 5 or 6).
Likewise lower quality morphs like Flats wouldn't Ace (or would only Ace on their wild die); which hammers home the "dystopian future where you're stuck in a bad body" feeling.

--Pros: the system is "built" to allow very high rolls from time to time; you still get the dice you have purchased (i.e. someone with a d10 in fighting is always a threat, even in a small pleasure morph)
--Cons: Not as simple; have to develop some sort of terminologly to explain that Fighting d8 (A2) means you Ace on your top 2 numbers (i.e. 7,8 )
--Neutral: While small dice "ace" more frequently the amount each Ace adds is also small; so it's not going "advantage" small dice numerically.

Sorry this is so long. I have very limited SW play experience right now, though we are hopefully going to start a game in a month or two.

-------
The big elephant in terms of a good Savage Eclipse Phase is really the disassociation/trauma system (which I don't remember well but includes some very cool but very involved serious of mental stats related to "lost time", "connection to morph" and "cosmic horror" -- sorry can't remember terms right now).
Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Fargg: welcome aboard!!

Men, I'm just too busy with other campaigns to think about that now, however I really hope to play with Eclipse Phase setting, using SW rule system!
PS: I think that mooks AND W.C. enemies shouldn't bother for morphs modifiers. Simply choose the "numbers" you need, and create the NPC. Simply add some special effect, like "swarm" or "wallwalker" ability for specific morphs...

@Wyrdhamster:
Quote:
I think how to solve New Economy and Reputations system and how to change Old Economy "buy equipment with this and this number of credits" to something more abstract, like SW Wealth rules. Any suggestions?

I think this is the right way to do that.

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY
Fargg
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LL, thanks for the welcome. I know the feeling. I may not continue to contribute as things rise and fall.

Any thoughts about which idea is better for dealing with morph abilities?

Re: Wealth
In a setting where one of the principles is that old-school, transitional and new repulation-based post-scarcity economies are all competeing and coexisting in the setting it's difficult to know how much cut.
I am leaning toward typical SW wealth (using credits as the denominator) for the inner system with "rep" being represented as die types.

Characters from certain backgrounds would get points to buy dice (just like skills).
So someone could have
@-rep 6d

That lets you preserve the "maybe you can get it maybe you can't" feel in an intuitive system that maintains the SW core resolution mechanic.
d10 would correspond roughly to a score of 100 (i.e. very high).
Frequent roles would be assessed a penalty.

That also allows backgrounds (AKA races) to be balanced somewhat. Hypercorp elite get wealth edges for free while an anarchist might get @-rep.
Unlike a "typical" SW game settling where wealth basically travels with you the hypercorp-elite only has easy access to their wealth when they are in the inner system meaning that in a typical game they would be fabulously wealthy on Mars, but really tight on resources if they had to egocast to a remote community.
Fargg
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think this was covered in the first post but

The EP Creative Commons License requires a link to this Eclipse Phase page.
Fargg
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless otherwise noted characters begin with
1 "free" edge
d4 hacking
3 areas where the character can make checks for <un>common knowledge using the common knowledge rules (reflecting interests from EP which I liked as an idea and helps round out characters) -- needs to be fleshed out more
3 points to spend on rep (buy like skills)
Edges: Some Physical Edges are not available to characters: they must be acquired by sleeving into the appropriate morph (and can be lost or unavailable if the morph is); those that are allowed are purchased by the ego and apply to all morphs (unless noted otherwise, or would be inappropriate).
Of the Arcane Backgrounds only Async (Psionics) is available -- it should probably cost extra similar to Sorcerers in DAR. No power edges are available. Not sure if the mentalist professional edge should be allowed?
Changed Edges
Acrobat applies to Athletics when appropriate
Noble = Hyperelite; not all hyperelite have enough resources and obligations to have the edge.

Hindrances: Most physical hindrances are not available to PCs (including Anemic, Bad Eyes, Elderly, Hard of Hearing, Lame, Obese, One <whatever body part>, Small, Ugly). A character may be sleeved into a morph with these traits but the PC receives no additional mechanical benefit.
The Illiterate Hindrance is unavailable, the All Thumbs hindrance is a Major Hinderance

Backgrounds (treated as SW Races b/c choosen 1st, "stick" with your character throughout and should be balanced vs each other)
Proposed SW advantages are in italics
    drifter: +10 Navigation skill, +20 Pilot: Spacecraft skill, +10 Networking: [Field] skill of your choice
    d4 Piloting, d4 Knowledge (Navigation), +1 on athletic tests in free fall
    typical rep @-rep, g-rep

Fall evacuee: +10 Pilot: Groundcraft skill, +10 Networking: [Field] skill of your choice, +1 Moxie, only 2,500 Starting Credit (can still buy credit with CP)
    d4 Driving, Hindrance: Poverty, Edge: Luck
    typical rep: any

hyperelite: +10 Protocol skill, +10,000 Credit, +20 Networking: Hypercorps skill, may not start with flat, splicer, or any pod, uplift, or synthetic morphs
    Edge: Rich*, d6 c-rep, receive a Exalt or Slyph morph for no cost
    typical rep: more c-rep, r-rep

*Could be swapped up to noble if the player and DM agree.

infolife: +30 Interfacing skill, Computer skills (Infosec, Interfacing, Programming, Research) bought with Customization Points are half price, Real World Naiveté trait, Social Stigma (AGI) trait, may not purchase Psi trait, Social skills bought with Customization Points are double price
    hacking increased to d6, knowledge (programming) d4, investigation d4, Hindrance: Social Stigma (AGI) -1 Cha when dealing with non-infolife, can not buy Arcane Background, Hindrance: Clueless
    typical rep: any

isolate: +20 to two skills of your choice, –10 starting Rep
    only have 2 points for rep

lost: +20 to two Knowledge skills of your choice, Psi trait (Level 1), Mental Disorder (choose two, this includes the one from Psi) trait, Social Stigma (Lost) trait, must start with Futura morph
    Arcane Background (Async), Social Stigma (Lost -1 Cha to all non-lost), Character has 2 major or 1 minor hindrances of the following types (For which they receive no benefit): Deathwish, Delusional, Mean, Phobia, Quirk; begin play with futura morph

lunar colonist: +10 Pilot: Groundcraft skill, +10 to one Technical, Academic: [Field], or Profession: [Field] skill of your choice, +20 Networking: Hypercorps skill

martian: +10 Pilot: Groundcraft skill, +10 to one Technical, Academic: [Field], or Profession: [Field] skill of your choice, +20 Networking: Hypercorps skill

original space colonist: +10 Pilot: Spacecraft or Freefall skill, +10 to a Technical, Academic: [Field], or Profession: [Field] skill of your choice, +20 to a Networking: [Field] skill of your choice

re-instantiated: +10 Pilot: Groundcraft skill, +10 to a Networking: [Field] skill of your choice, +2 Moxie, Edited Memories trait, 0 Starting Credit (can still buy credit with CP)

scumborn: +10 Persuasion or Deception skill, +10 Scrounging skill, +20 Networking: Autonomists skill

uplift: +10 Fray skill, +10 Perception skill, +20 to two Knowledge skills of your choice, must choose an uplift morph to start

FACTIONS (probably have to be professional edges) - does everyone get a free "faction" edge? I don't like that because, frankly, the ultimate edge isn't going to be "equal" to the other factions (which is a bit of a problem in the current EP rules system and doesn't need to be replicated here -- there is a weak attempt at balance by forcing you to start with certain morphs but making the combat titan ultimiate buy a great combat morph isn't a limiting factor).
    anarchist: +10 to a skill of your choice, +30 Networking: Autonomists skill

argonaut: +10 to two Technical, Academic: [Field], or Profession: [Field] skills; +20 Networking: Scientists

barsoomian: +10 Freerunning, +10 to one skill of your choice, +20 Networking: Autonomists skill brinker: +10 Pilot: Spacecraft skill, +10 to a skill of your choice,
    +20 to a Networking: [Field] skill of your choice

criminal: +10 Intimidation skill, +30 Networking: Criminal skill

extropian: +10 Persuasion skill, +20 Networking: Autonomists skill, +10 Networking: Hypercorps skill

hypercorp: +10 Protocol skill, +20 Networking: Hypercorps skill, +10 to any Networking: [Field] skill

Jovian: +10 to two weapon skills of your choice, +10 Fray, +20 Networking: Hypercorps skill. must start with a Flat or Splicer morph, may not start with any nanoware or advanced nanotech

lunar: +10 to one Language: [Field] of your choice, +20 Networking: Hypercorps skill, +10 Networking: Ecologists skill

mercurial: +10 to any two skills of your choice, +20 to a Networking: [Field] skill of your choice

scum: +10 Freefall skill, +10 to a skill of your choice, +20 Networking: Autonomists skill

socialite: +10 Persuasion skill, +10 Protocol skill, +20 Networking: Media skill, may not start with flat, pod, uplift, or synthetic morphs

titanian: +10 to two Technical or Academic skills of your choice, +20 Networking: Autonomists skill

ultimate: +10 to two skills of your choice, +20 to a Networking: [Field] skill of your choice, may not start with Flat, Splicer, uplift, or pod morphs

Venusian: +10 Pilot: Aircraft, +10 to one skill of your choice, +20 Networking: Hypercorps skill

Morphs
Just putting rough rates for now -1 to +2 (rarity/value)
Unless otherwise noted an ego must fulfill all the requirements in order to be able to use a given edge provided by the morph.

Flat (-1)
    Splicer (0)
    Exalt (1)
    Menton (2)
    Olympian (2)
    -Brawny
    Sylph (1)
    -Very Attractive
    Bouncer
    Fury (2)
    Futura (1)
    Ghost (2)
    Hibernoids (0)
    Neotenic (0)
    Remade (2)
    Ruster (1)
    Neo-Avian (1)
    Neo-Hominid (1)
    Octomorph (2?)
    Pleasure Pod (0)
    Worker Pod (0)
    Novacrab (2)
    Case (-1)
    Synth (0)
    Arachnoid (2?)
    Dragonfly (2)
    Flexbots (2)
    Reaper (*) - PCs should never start with Reapers
    Slitheroid (2)
    Swarmanoid (2)
    Infomorph(-1)

Probably need to do skills first.
see next post

PS Just for reference there is a great EP fate conversion.

Last edited by Fargg on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:49 pm; edited 5 times in total
Fargg
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Skills (Needed a separate post) Reply with quote

Base SW skills used in EP
    Driving
    Fighting
    Guts
    Healing
    Intimidation
    Investigation Investigation, of anything of significant difficulty, in EP is virtually always based around the mesh and reputation. For many uses of investigation the DM may limit your investigation die size to the size of the highest rep die you have available -- personally or from an assistant with a higer rep. (Or alternatively by deception if you are impersonating someone)
    Knowledge
    Notice
    Persuasion
    Piloting Anything from planes to spacecraft;
    Repair
    Shooting
    Stealth
    Taunt
    Throwing

New Skills
    Hacking Lower level hacking is interface, higher is infosec. Everyone gets d4 base unless they have the hindrance (similar to Interface zero)
    Athletics "Combines two limited use skills (Climbing and Swimming, along with a host of other skillls that are also too special case to be a single SW skill like Free Fall, Freerunning and Flight).
    Special Rule: Increasing die size in athletics is governed by the lower of your Strength or Agility) So if someone has Str d8 and Agility d6 then they pay two points for every die increase above d6."
    Deception Struggled a lot because I don’t want to add new skills; but this is a big part of the setting. Applies to lying, impersonation (both over the mesh and in meat space), setting up false identities (forging) as well as physical tricks like palming small items. The kinds of things a con man can do.

Limited Use - these skills aren't banned; characters can choose to have them (and small groups of people in the world might find some use for them) but in general players should understand they will get little use out of the skill
    Boating limited use
    Gambling limited use
    Lockpicking If you could even find one a purely mechanical lock is an oddity; hacking is the normal skill
    Riding limited use
    Survival limited use - doesn’t even exist in typical EP rules
    Tracking limited use
    Streetwise Most information gathering uses investigation; except for a few isolated locations on Mars or Scum barges there aren't the sort of non-mesh/rep interfaced interactions where streetwise is applicable. The skill was almost removed for this reason

Removed
    Climbing replaced by Athletics
    Swimming replaced by Athletics

Conversion from EP skills (mostly for reference)
EP Skills Converts To
Academics: [Field] Knowledge
Animal Handling Riding
Art: [Field]
Beam Weapons Shooting
Blades Fighting
Climbing Athletics
Clubs Fighting
Control Psi
Deception Deception
Demolitions Throwing or Knowledge (Demolitions)
Exotic Melee Weapon: [Field] Fighting
Exotic Ranged Weapon: [Field] Shooting
Flight Athletics
Fray Fighting
Free Fall Athletics
Freerunning Athletics
Gunnery Shooting
Hardware: [Field] Repair or Knowledge (Design <whatever the equipment in question is>)
Impersonation Deception
Infiltration Stealth
Infosec Hacking
Interest: [Field] Knowledge (Whatever you are interested in)
Interfacing Hacking
Intimidation Intimidation
Investigation Investigation
Kinesics Notice
Kinetic Weapons Shooting
Language: [Field] Standard Language Rules
Medicine: [Field] Healing
Navigation Knowledge (Navigation)
Networking: [Field] (Per your rep die or Persuasion or Streetwise)
Palming Deception
Perception Notice
Persuasion Persuasion
Pilot: [Field] Piloting
Profession: [Field] Knowledge (Whatever a professional in)
Programming Knowledge (Programming)
Protocol Pesuasion or (Per your rep die)
Psi Assault PSI
Psychosurgery PSI
Research Investigation
Scrounging Investigation or Notice or rep dice
Seeker Weapons Shooting
Sense PSI
Spray Weapons Shooting
Swimming Athletics
Throwing Weapons Throwing
Unarmed Combat Fighting
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Skills (Needed a separate post) Reply with quote

Fargg wrote:
Lockpicking If you could even find one a purely mechanical lock is an oddity;

The description of Lockpicking in the Core Book clearly states that it's used on electronic locks as well.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Skills (Needed a separate post) Reply with quote

First, I will remind you of the (often neglected) amazing Common Knowledge rules. Awesome for fiddly knowledge and resolution of things that aren't common or powerful enough to be real skills.

Fargg wrote:
Investigation

For Savage Worlds, Investigation is the RESEARCH skill. Dig through any and all databases, from libraries to filing cabinets, to giant computer databanks. It's what you use to find clues in a big pile of information.

Fargg wrote:
New Skills
    Hacking Lower level hacking is interface, higher is infosec. Everyone gets d4 base unless they have the hindrance (similar to Interface zero)
    Athletics "Combines two limited use skills (Climbing and Swimming, along with a host of other skillls that are also too special case to be a single SW skill like Free Fall, Freerunning and Flight).
    Special Rule: Increasing die size in athletics is governed by the lower of your Strength or Agility) So if someone has Str d8 and Agility d6 then they pay two points for every die increase above d6."
    Deception Struggled a lot because I don’t want to add new skills; but this is a big part of the setting. Applies to lying, impersonation (both over the mesh and in meat space), setting up false identities (forging) as well as physical tricks like palming small items. The kinds of things a con man can do.

Assuming computer ops are a big deal, then Hacking may actually be a very good skill to have.
Athletics is a nice catch all, and having it around depowers Agility some (the default "athletics" check for things that aren't Climbing and Swimming).
Deception is wildly unnecessary. It's already covered by Persuasion and Stealth, which are on your list of kept skills.

Boating is used to handle damage control on capital ships. No reason the same rules couldn't apply to capital space ships.

Good luck.
burningcrow
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have a look at the SciFi Companion and Interface Zero. They basically have all the stuff covered you'd need for Eclipse Phase.

I'm not a big fan of conversions that try to convert the rules to SW ... rather take what's there and try to communicate the setting by applying SW rules.
Fargg
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Skills (Needed a separate post) Reply with quote

Sitting Duck wrote:
Fargg wrote:
Lockpicking If you could even find one a purely mechanical lock is an oddity;

The description of Lockpicking in the Core Book clearly states that it's used on electronic locks as well.

I understand what you're trying to say, and I realize that EP is fairly "strange" by the standards of typical RPGs but the fact that the lockpicking skill says that is part of the reason why i'm flagging it as being useless.

Most everything in EP is effectively a computer. It interfaces automatically with everything around it (including people) through something called the mesh (like an ever present highly advanced internet).

When you go up to a secured door there is no lock. The door (and the hallway and maybe the floor) all know you're there. Your muse (a sort of personal AI) requests access from the security system of the building; maybe through the door, maybe through another interface, the character in the world doesn't normally know (or care). They either get in or they don't (and the muse tells them what's up).
It's the same for virtually all objects in the world, vehicles, weapons, equipment, they're all mesh based.
It's possible to hack that, spoofing identities is the most common way, but a brute force hack attempting to take advantage of some error in the code is also possible.

Anyway a player who get's lockpicking thinking they're going to jimmy their way into to things is in for a rude surprise.

I appreciate you flagging that as a point of confusion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: