Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gladiator Edge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riggswolfe
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Gladiator Edge Reply with quote

I was thinking of making a gladiator edge and trying to figure out how it would work.

My first thought was this:

Gladiators can use any improvised weapon without penalty. Further, they can perform tricks in the ring at a +2 bonus. Finally, they can make a persuasion roll after a fight to appeal to the crowd. On a success they recover one wound obtained in the fight, on a raise they get a benny. On the downside, Gladiators are owned slaves and have no say over their futures. They also tend to make enemies both among the free who have lost bets on them and among fellow gladiators they have bested in the ring. Gladiators start with the poverty and enemy edges but recieve no points for them.
ReaperWolf
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most, but not all Roman gladiators, were slaves.

As for the second wind wound recovery based upon crowd reaction there are two potential issues: frequency of use, this won't come up much unless you're running an arena heavy game. Secondly, the game effect is pretty oomphy. I'd suggest once a gladiator wins the crowd the round immediately following he gets a bonus to rolls to resist stun and maybe on the wound table as well.

>>ReaperWolf
Riggswolfe
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm..those are interesting suggestions...
Blogotron
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grantedthis is for my Dark Sun conversion but i granted a bonus to Choose two, tests of Will or tricks, or resisting tests of will or Tricks. Thinking I might eliminate the penalty for Improvised weapons as well.
Karnaze
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most gladiators were trained to play to the crowd, the best ones often toyed with overmatched opponents for the amusement of the crowd. So perhaps something like this to help offset some of the advantages of the edge.

Due to their training to thrill the crowd and prolong fights gladiators can never cause more than 1 wound with a single attack.
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would personally think a gladiator, especially as described above, would be a character choice (like "face man" or "shooter"), not just an Edge.
Blogotron
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone can be a Gladiator, just like anyone can run, but being a professional runner is a very different beast.

Gladiators were highly trained, not not everyone thrown into the coliseum received such training.

Certainly certain edges suggest themselves to gladiators. Professional edges are the SW:EX version of Prestige classes; specializations that separate your character from the chaff and entitle them to a bit of the fame such professions afford their members.
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you fell Gladiator should be a professional egde? I can see it being one, with related requirements instead of being just a regular edge...
Riggswolfe
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gladiator would definitely be a professional edge. I just am trying to figure out balanced mechanics for it.
Blogotron
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what sort of "gladiator" are we talking about? Classical Roman? Modern pit Fighter? Judicial Champion? Sword and Sorcery Fiction Gladiator?

Is this for a one shot where combat is confined to arenas or is this more like Spartacus, a Gladiator uprising?
Riggswolfe
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roman or Sword and Sorcery. Very much the guy who goes into an arena and fights to the death in front of cheering fans.
HawaiianBrian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about making the characters work for their advancement? Tie their experience points to how well they work the crowd. The more tricks, taunts, and other maneuvers they use, the happier the crowd is. Also, the crowd is pleased when someone either dies slow or dies dramatically. Put together a simple points scale you can chart for yourself behind the screen, then use that in some way to determine how many XP they earn. Maybe you even want to tie it to a roll, so the happier the crowd becomes, the easier it becomes at the end of the session to roll a Trait test (not sure which one -- Persuasion? Spirit?) and they gain 1 XP with a success, +1 XP for each raise.
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechanics aside, what is it, in pure prose, that would set a Gladiator apart from some guy in a gladiatorial game?

Another thing that I think has to be considered and will be unique to your particular setting is what a gladiator gets, from who, and why. Is their pay based on their appeal? Are they all slaves? All free? Why would someone be a gladiator in the first place?
Riggswolfe
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpk wrote:
Mechanics aside, what is it, in pure prose, that would set a Gladiator apart from some guy in a gladiatorial game?

Another thing that I think has to be considered and will be unique to your particular setting is what a gladiator gets, from who, and why. Is their pay based on their appeal? Are they all slaves? All free? Why would someone be a gladiator in the first place?

If we're going Roman and close to the current Spartacus series:

They're all trained
All slaves
They're gladiators because they have martial skills and are enslaved
They are considered above other slaves and it's a point of pride.
A gladiator, because of their training will easily kill a criminal or common slave put into the arena. In fact, they can kill even when outnumbered 3-4 to 1.
Tavis
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riggswolfe wrote:

If we're going Roman and close to the current Spartacus series:

They're all trained
All slaves
They're gladiators because they have martial skills and are enslaved
They are considered above other slaves and it's a point of pride.
A gladiator, because of their training will easily kill a criminal or common slave put into the arena. In fact, they can kill even when outnumbered 3-4 to 1.

Then perhaps this

Professional Edge

Gladiator
Requirements: Strength d6+, Fighting d8+, Intimidation d6+, Slave
Gladiators are trained to kill using a variety of weapons, and many things not considered weapons by others, even against odds that most would consider insurmountable. Their reputation as dangerous opponents proceeds them.

Gladiators suffer no penalties for using improvised weapons, ignore up to 2 points of Gang-up bonus, and enjoy a +2 to Intimidation rolls.

Of course, I'd suggest you come up with a Slave hindrance that suits the setting as well ...

SWD: 50 Fathoms (GM)
otherdoc
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavis wrote:

Professional Edge

Gladiator
Gladiators are trained to kill using a variety of weapons, and many things not considered weapons by others, even against odds that most would consider insurmountable. Their reputation as dangerous opponents proceeds them.

Gladiators suffer no penalties for using improvised weapons, ignore up to 2 points of Gang-up bonus, and enjoy a +2 to Intimidation rolls.

Of course, I'd suggest you come up with a Slave hindrance that suits the setting as well ...

I may steal this for my upcoming Savage Rome campaign. I was planning on having a Slave hindrance so this dovetails nicely with it. (Mua ha ha!)
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavis wrote:
Then perhaps this

Professional Edge

Gladiator

I think I might swap out the Intimidation bonus for "is never considered unarmed." As a bonus, that makes good, crowd-pleasing fights between Gladiators last longer in the case of disarmament, too.

Now, it might be perfectly plausible for the average gonna'-die-now slave to suffer a -2 to resist a Gladiator's Intimidation roll as a situational modifier.
Blogotron
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hindrance:
Slave:
Your life is not your own. Born a slave, captured on the battlefield, or being punished for a crime, you are a slave. You can buy off your enslavement, be rewarded your freedom or die for your master. Any of which will get you out of this Hindrance.

Professional or Background Edge

Born in Chains
Req: Slave Hindrance, Bluff d6
Some citizens are bound in slavery for some crime or for just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. You happened to be born into it. While adults donít acclimate well to their loss of liberty for you it is second nature. You have learned how to go about your business unnoticed to save yourself from the lash. Any time a social superior would normally take notice of you a Bluff roll may be made as you excuse yourself from their presence. Many a servant has escaped his master's wrath. Use of this edge often results in some other poor servant being beaten within an inch of his life.
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master of the Arena
Requirements: Novice, Fighting and Intimidation d6+, Strength and Vigor d6+
Whether you were born in chains, bought your freedom with your blood and bruises, or wrongly thrown into the arena, you are a master of making your opponent overestimate you. A Master of the Arena adds +2 to all Intimidation rolls. Additionally, their damage versus shields and weapons may Ace. Note that this does not apply to all inanimate objects, just shields and weapons.

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: