Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drawing weapons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
77IM
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Drawing weapons Reply with quote

Hello fellow forumites,

Here is another house rule I am considering. My players tend to... "conveniently forget" about the rules for drawing weapons. They are always wanting to attack with two swords one round, then fire a bow and arrow the next. I guess we don't consider weapon-juggling much fun and would rather get on with the beat-down, so there's a subtle disincentive to pay attention to weapon-drawing mechanics. But I don't want to tell every player to pick up Quick Draw either (it would be an Edge tax, and isn't appropriate to all concepts anyway).

Does this house rule make sense, and does in nerf Quick Draw or boost TWF too much?

Drawing Weapons: You can draw two weapons, or draw a weapon and ready a shield, or sheath one or two weapons, as a single action without requiring a check. You can sheath and draw in the same round without a check, but any other actions are at -4 (-2 for sheathing and -2 for drawing).

-- 77IM
islan
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it your players don't like the idea of dropping weapons to quickly draw another, hm?

As for drawing more than one weapon/shield, so long as they are in an "easy to access" location on their body, I wouldn't require an Agility check to get at them. I take it that they are still incuring MAPs from their drawing anyway, right?

If a character has Quick Draw, do they still get a -2 MAP for both sheathing and drawing?
Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Drawing weapons Reply with quote

77IM wrote:
My players tend to... "conveniently forget" about the rules for drawing weapons.

You don't need house rules... You simply need to be rigid, a real-man-master, and make them to follow the standard ones.
I'm very strict about those rules, and my players know that. So if they are in hurry, they have to drop their equip... And if they run away from battle, or if they have no time to re-pick up everything 'cause there is a pending menace, then they lose the dropped equip. Mr. Green

Two weapons combat and heavy two-handed weapons sweeping are great fighting techniques, but the first turn you could be REALLY surprised from a sudden quick drawed knife under your nose...
Dylan S
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Lance. It's more dramatic, realistic, and tactically-deep to follow the standard rules.
Rohan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I agree, following the rules is important on that note.

What gets really interesting is when you have three people juggling one or two weapons between them....multiple action penalties to catch, attack, and toss....don't screw up either the first or the last part...

Become a fan on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Silvergryphongames

Current WIP: Wellstone City Chronicles, Puppets, and One-liners
Chezzo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know you can drop a weapon, draw a weapon and attack with it at just a -2, right? That negative can be eaten up with a Wild Attack.

Our house rule is that if you don't move, you can draw a weapon without the -2 penalty if you succeed on an Agility roll.
Rohan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chezzo wrote:
Our house rule is that if you don't move, you can draw a weapon without the -2 penalt*y if you succeed on an Agility roll.

I like that. It gave me an "attack on the draw" sort of picture in my mind. Very Ninja/Pirate -ish.

Warpwolf
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behold! The trick here is the long blade
Rohan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpwolf wrote:

Behold! The trick here is the long blade

Winner!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: