Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Initiative in Savage Worlds
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimalcoatl
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atomic Scotsman wrote:

I like to mess with my PLayer's heads by randomly picking the deck up and shuffling it. Makes them think something bad is about to happen. Mr. Green

Whenever I have cards in front of me I can't help but shuffle and play with them a little bit. It has the same effect of keeping my players thinking that something bad is about to happen even though it's almost completely subconscious that I'm even doing it. It's probably the only time one of my many quirks helps the game.
Atomic Scotsman
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimalcoatl wrote:
Atomic Scotsman wrote:

I like to mess with my PLayer's heads by randomly picking the deck up and shuffling it. Makes them think something bad is about to happen. Mr. Green

Whenever I have cards in front of me I can't help but shuffle and play with them a little bit. It has the same effect of keeping my players thinking that something bad is about to happen even though it's almost completely subconscious that I'm even doing it. It's probably the only time one of my many quirks helps the game.

If I'm not messing with the cards I'm fiddling with my GM Bennies (we use poker chips).

GM Savage Worlds is a fidgety person's dream. Smile
Jimalcoatl
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atomic Scotsman wrote:
Jimalcoatl wrote:
Atomic Scotsman wrote:

If I'm not messing with the cards I'm fiddling with my GM Bennies (we use poker chips).

GM Savage Worlds is a fidgety person's dream. Smile

Agreed on both counts. I use poker chips for bennies too. I also use them for status counters on my battle map. I'll stick a chip under the mini for a character when something happens to them. White for Shaken, red for a wound, blue for fatigue, black for anything else (so far I've only used it for marking when people are on fire). I use green chips for bennies unless I'm playing Deadlands then I use the colours they suggest for fate chips.
arthurfallz
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the cards as they remove a bit of the "Agility King" from the system (as the Agility type Stat tends to be so useful in some many games.. I blame Kung Fu movies).
They can also include a lot of fun mechanics. The Jokers are a great thing to throw in, and one can even include random luck and bad luck cards in the deck if they want something to happen at some point, but don't want to decide when.
Example: The powder keg is hissing sparks, but hasn't gone off yet. The round the Ace of Spades is drawn, the keg goes off!
This kind of stuff can be simulated with dice, but not with the same pinache. And that's what it comes down to.
Nuadha
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimalcoatl wrote:
Atomic Scotsman wrote:

The same happens here! I created a card-based initiative system for 4e D&D because I love it so much in SW and players were always getting worried when I picked up the deck and started shuffling even though half the time there was no encounter.[/code]

The Masters' Council, a forum for gamemasters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: