Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Rippers] Reason and Status Too Hard?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Vervox
Novice


Joined: 05 Jan 2014
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: [Rippers] Reason and Status Too Hard? Reply with quote

I am a very new player in rpgs in general, and was getting fed up with that system so I look for a new system and came here. I think that this is a really cool system (judging from the reviews I've read), and that the Rippers setting is cool, but Reason and status look really weird. Reason looks really easy and fast (with Rippertech) to lose, and the same goes for Status. I'm pretty sure everyone I play with and I will just ignore these aspects because they are really hard. I was thinking about making it so that when you roll a 20 on a skill die you gain reason, or you can get your weapons "engraved" so that they are fancy enough to be carried around without the penalty. Advice?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
islan
Heroic


Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 1233

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally didn't really like what they did with Reason and Status in Rippers. Good luck in coming up with your own fixes; I just sold my copy and hoped that a new improved edition may come out eventually.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vervox
Novice


Joined: 05 Jan 2014
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THX Very Happy
Another thing that would make it easier is if staying at a low level lodge would not decrease status. I looked through again and realized that you can just go to Van Helsing Mansion and receive the +15 bonus to stop you from decreasing reason. Can I just assume that there is a surgeon who lives there that has a d12 or higher since they are best at ripping? And they would be Wild Cards and have a d6 Wild Die right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sonofthunder
Novice


Joined: 23 Sep 2012
Posts: 79

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group did not like Status or Reason, so I did away with both. The group liked the setting, but they didn't seem interested in playing Victorian characters (using manners, not carrying broadswords around during the day, etc.). And no one liked the reason modifier, so everyone avoided Rippertech. Needless to say, we are currently not playing Rippers, and I hope both Reason and Status get a revamp in a new edition.

Last edited by sonofthunder on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The One
Heroic


Joined: 14 May 2003
Posts: 1249

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Status quite helpful in reinforcing the Victorian era expectations, and have used the mechanic in other steampunk style games.

Reason is a little less useful, in that its solely present to balance Rippertech, as a mechanic I think it does the job a little too well as players fear to use Rippertech. That said, Rippertech offers some large benefits, akin to free Edges or better so caution is a good thing

I wouldn't replace either mechanic if I were running a Rippers game, they're integral to the themes of horror and a restrictive society.
_________________
Life: Past trends are not an indication of future performance
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Vervox
Novice


Joined: 05 Jan 2014
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The One, I am not even considering getting rid of them, I love the idea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sonofthunder
Novice


Joined: 23 Sep 2012
Posts: 79

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The One wrote:
I find Status quite helpful in reinforcing the Victorian era expectations, and have used the mechanic in other steampunk style games.

Reason is a little less useful, in that its solely present to balance Rippertech, as a mechanic I think it does the job a little too well as players fear to use Rippertech. That said, Rippertech offers some large benefits, akin to free Edges or better so caution is a good thing

I wouldn't replace either mechanic if I were running a Rippers game, they're integral to the themes of horror and a restrictive society.


I completely agree. Rippers without Status and Reason becomes a generic monster-hunting game. My players didn't want Rippertech because the Reason penalty was harsh, and I chose to stop using Status because some of the players weren't interested in its negative consequences (4 out of the 5 characters weren't even British).

If I were to run it again (which I might, because I still have interested players), I would give the players more opportunities to gain Reason and Status. For example, if they defeat a major enemy, they could regain lost Reason and gain Status.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vervox
Novice


Joined: 05 Jan 2014
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonofthunder wrote:
The One wrote:
I find Status quite helpful in reinforcing the Victorian era expectations, and have used the mechanic in other steampunk style games.

Reason is a little less useful, in that its solely present to balance Rippertech, as a mechanic I think it does the job a little too well as players fear to use Rippertech. That said, Rippertech offers some large benefits, akin to free Edges or better so caution is a good thing

I wouldn't replace either mechanic if I were running a Rippers game, they're integral to the themes of horror and a restrictive society.


I completely agree. Rippers without Status and Reason becomes a generic monster-hunting game. My players didn't want Rippertech because the Reason penalty was harsh, and I chose to stop using Status because some of the players weren't interested in its negative consequences (4 out of the 5 characters weren't even British).

If I were to run it again (which I might, because I still have interested players), I would give the players more opportunities to gain Reason and Status. For example, if they defeat a major enemy, they could regain lost Reason and gain Status.


I like that idea. If you kill something big, you gain respect from the Rippers, some of which are powerful. This could increase your status. I also thought that you could go (willing) to a "retreat" for a week (month if that is to easy), then make a spirit roll modified by reason as normal, plus a +1 bonus for anyone who went with you (they don't gain reason, only 1 person per retreat) and succeed on a spirit roll modified by both their reason and yours. 0 or less means reason loss, failure means nothing, success means +1 reason, and every raise also adds a reason point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ogbendog
Legendary


Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Posts: 2350

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Status isn't how the Rippers view you, it's how society views you.

That being said, if there are Rippers with high status, they could certainly invite you to the best parties, etc., which would increase your status.

I recall using Status kind of sucked; I was toying with the idea that Status gives you bennies usable to reroll any social Trait roll; Persuasion, Streetwise, Taunt, or Intimidate.

This useful for investigation, and combat
_________________
Bill Ogden
Author of Kaiser's Gate Field Manual Vol 1: Mounts, now available for purchase.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/119241/Kaisers-Gate-Field-Manual-Mounts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vervox
Novice


Joined: 05 Jan 2014
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ogbendog wrote:
Status isn't how the Rippers view you, it's how society views you.

That being said, if there are Rippers with high status, they could certainly invite you to the best parties, etc., which would increase your status.

I recall using Status kind of sucked; I was toying with the idea that Status gives you bennies usable to reroll any social Trait roll; Persuasion, Streetwise, Taunt, or Intimidate.

This useful for investigation, and combat


You get a penalty for staying at a low level lodge, so what Rippers think of you does matter. But the bennies idea is interesting, Ill have to think about that...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clint
Site Admin


Joined: 13 May 2003
Posts: 17818

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have it, I'd suggest looking at the Status system in Space 1889.
_________________
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Marshalonwheels
Seasoned


Joined: 04 Jul 2010
Posts: 103

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use Gaslight Victorian Fantasy 2nd Edition Status and wealth and Sanity from horror companion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vervox
Novice


Joined: 05 Jan 2014
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look those two up...

Another thing. I saw that opium can restore one reason. I can see that helping... although addiction would be a guarantee. That might help a little though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
islan
Heroic


Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 1233

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to get Space 1889. I think I recall hearing the Status rules from that might be getting used in the new Rippers on loan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum