Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dark Modern setting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPCannon
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Dark Modern setting Reply with quote

Hi. In actual setting i see some sort of similarity to antoher systems reality. D&D-Evernight, Nemezis-Warhammer40k, Interface Zero-Cyberpunk, Necessery Evil - Mutants & Mastermind.... Is ther some setting in plan which will be great image of World of Darknes? Some dark modern setting with pisonick powers, monsters, another stuff and like always some another thinks only for this setting that it can by original, just like Savage Worlds Setting should be? Smile I know that ther are some conversions, and that i can for exml. use IO in modern reality, but i`m asking for official setting in plans or in minds of Pinnacle writers Smile? Are you thinking about somethink like this in future? Smile
Kristian Serrano
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked out the Horror Companion? It might be exactly what you're looking for.
Raise Calculator
Prest0
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the sleepy rural town of Pinebox, Texas magic and monsters exist, hidden in the shadows and preying upon the vulnerable or the overly curious. Unlike most of World of Darkness, in Pinebox you don't play vampires, werewolves, or demons. You kill them.

Look for Pinnacle to publish Degrees of Horror, in which you begin as naive college Freshmen in a supernatural hotspot. Throughout your four (or five) years at East Texas University, you'll face our world’s dark underbelly while your classmates blithely go about their lives. Dating. Demons. Parties. Poltergeists. Majors. Magic. Sports. Seances. Exams. Exorcisms.

You'll be tested.

Thanks to all the East Texas University Kickstarter backers!
GlassJaw
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on Pinebox. Great setting, and you can find a lot of info for free on the site that Preston linked.

I also HIGHLY recommend the adventures. All of them are very good and provide a ton of background info on the setting.
JPCannon
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think somethink like rippers with paranormal powers in modern times can be great Smile Hunters with option to get more powers when they rip some elements from modern vampires, ghouls, etc. This can be next step in rippers history Very Happy

The 12M creat settings, one sheets, companions, or what it is like this two which you give me? Or somethink like Skinwalker, Brainwashed, Bloodlines? They are mini settings maybe?
Jux
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marchland is exactly this. Available at drivethrough.

Review:
http://solaceofsavagery.wordpress.com/2013/02/14/marchland-2/
Prest0
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@JPCannon - Pinebox is a free campaign setting you can read about on the website. Bloodlines, Skinwalker, etc. are full-length adventures which take place in the Pinebox setting and expand upon it.

Degrees of Horror, also set in Pinebox, will be a full setting book published by Pinnacle like Rippers, Necessary Evil, etc. It includes setting rules, Savage Tales, a plot point campaign, and everything else you'd expect from a Pinnacle setting book.

JPCannon
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check previv of Buried Tales of Pinebox, Texas and i dont understand it Razz I have only some 35 pages of intervievs. Where is some mechanick or somethink else?

Can anyone give me link to shop where is book with main rooles to Pinbox?
Prest0
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPCannon wrote:
I check previv of Buried Tales of Pinebox, Texas and i dont understand it Razz I have only some 35 pages of intervievs. Where is some mechanick or somethink else?

Can anyone give me link to shop where is book with main rooles to Pinbox?

Buried Tales is a collection of short fiction set in Pinebox. It's not a game, it just gives you more insight into the setting. There is not "main book". We've given away the basics of the setting on the website, which you could use to make your own campaign. Or you could buy a stand-alone adventure, each of which lasts anywhere from 1-3 game sessions. Or you can wait for Degrees of Horror, which is the full setting book Pinnacle will be publishing but whose release date hasn't been announced yet.

JPCannon
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in DoH we have magic element, horror climate, maybe you creat some suplements in future that give option to play on another supernatural site. Not by hunters, but maybe vampire or wirewolfs etc. Smile I saw many examples of that monsters, but only few how to play somethink like this Smile
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! I never realized that before. DoH...'Doh... Pretty much my college experience. Razz

SteveN
JPCannon
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is some new dark setting or good conversion with dark climate? Why so many setting talk about fight with monster and is so few where players can be some dark characters. In WoD is many of tipes vampires, wolfs etc. Why Savage Worlds dosen`t have own realy dark setting where players are realy dark characters?
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Horror Companion there's a section entitled "Children of the Night" which gives the details for players to play as Vampires, Werewolfs, Demons, Damphyrs, etc. To the best of my knowledge, there isn't an actual 1st or 3rd party setting that's centered around playing those type of creatures.

That said, it should be possible to adapt the flavor of such a setting from another RPG using that section of the HC that I mentioned above.
GamingRonin
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPCannon wrote:
It is some new dark setting or good conversion with dark climate? Why so many setting talk about fight with monster and is so few where players can be some dark characters. In WoD is many of tipes vampires, wolfs etc. Why Savage Worlds dosen`t have own realy dark setting where players are realy dark characters?

Check out accursed just change the setting around to a modern setting. More of a shadow war.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/124131/Accursed?SRC=FeaturedProduct&motds_id=7539&from_home=0&filters=0_0_1600_0_0

Gamers are the only people I know that can brag about the things they pretend they did.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPCannon wrote:
It is some new dark setting or good conversion with dark climate? Why so many setting talk about fight with monster and is so few where players can be some dark characters. ... Why Savage Worlds dosen`t have own realy dark setting where players are realy dark characters?

Probably because it's so difficult to write a plot point around being monsters. Generally, 'monster' characters are either taking the hero's journey* on their path to redemption (such as Necessary Evil) or are misunderstood heroes (as in Accursed).

Actual monsters, either evil fiends or aloof creatures, are really hard to hook into a plot. Self-interest is obvious, but easily segues into 'path to redemption' since threats to the monsters are usually also threats to the setting at large. Most other broad motivations, the kind suitable for writing a story as generic as an RPG plot point, require a certain level of heroism to pull in the characters; if you look at the World of Darkness published adventures, they all assume either self interest or prior involvement - a lot of their 'hook' advice is "You know your player characters; make up something that fits them" (which is a cop out as writers).

Settings are about more than being a creature / character. They have a theme, a style, and a few stories that they want to tell. The trick with 'monstrous' characters is hooking them into the stories, and there are not a lot of good, broadly applicable, ways to do that.

*Warning: TV Tropes link.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPCannon wrote:

My Supernaturalis cap-setting was originally intended for modern urban fantasy. If you wanted lower-powered PCs, you could instead use Savage Undead, or 77IM's Arcane Abilities. Then just use the fluff from WoD.

kronovan wrote:
In the Horror Companion there's a section entitled "Children of the Night" which gives the details for players to play as Vampires, Werewolfs, Demons, Damphyrs, etc.

That's fine if everyone is the same type of creature, but a crossover wouldn't be even remotely balanced. See here.

GamingRonin wrote:
Check out accursed just change the setting around to a modern setting. More of a shadow war.

Accursed is really nice setting, but changing it to modern-day urban fantasy without losing all the flavour would require a massive amount of work.

ValhallaGH wrote:
Probably because it's so difficult to write a plot point around being monsters.

You could loot the WoD for ideas. The Transylvania Chronicles springs instantly to mind - 12 "acts" that take place between 1197 and 2000. That could be treated as the main PPC campaign, then you just insert Savage Tales as normal.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zadmar wrote:
kronovan wrote:
In the Horror Companion there's a section entitled "Children of the Night" which gives the details for players to play as Vampires, Werewolfs, Demons, Damphyrs, etc.

That's fine if everyone is the same type of creature, but a crossover wouldn't be even remotely balanced. See here.

Unless of course the GM does what the book recommends and "balances" them based off which ones are being played and how the world reacts to them.

www.peginc.com
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be very difficult to balance such a power disparity purely through social drawbacks, particularly as the world's reactions would likely impact the entire party. To give an extreme example, my estimates price the dhampyr at +2 and the angel at +20, which is a difference of 9 advances (if not more - racial abilities often tend to be better than Edges). At that point I'd rather just build the monster archetypes with the SPC.
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zadmar wrote:
I think it would be very difficult to balance such a power disparity purely through social drawbacks, particularly as the world's reactions would likely impact the entire party. To give an extreme example, my estimates price the dhampyr at +2 and the angel at +20, which is a difference of 9 advances (if not more - racial abilities often tend to be better than Edges). At that point I'd rather just build the monster archetypes with the SPC.

I think the big thing about the angel race in particular is clearly defining the terms of the Angel's code in your setting. They really should be restrictive. Generally speaking I'd imagine that the angel can't just run about smashing every evil thing willy nilly, there'd be quite a few rules for when he's allowed to interfere at all. That's just for combat, there would likely also be restrictive rules for social actions as well, it's not like a good angel could run around drunk and not face serious drawbacks.

The best way to think of the Children of the Night races is to run it like the TV show Angel. Angel is the guy that kicks the monster of the weeks ass in almost all the episodes (spoilers I guess..?), but the human members of the team are just as vital as Angel himself. If for no other reason than anything that happens in daylight is something Angel cannot help with. It's those sorts of restrictions that would make the campaign interesting.

Mr. Vampire can't just stab the thing to death so he needs the humans or whatever to find out the weakness of the monster...and of course if he phrases it THAT way, there's a whole host of other problems that should come with that.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigerguy786 wrote:
I think the big thing about the angel race in particular is clearly defining the terms of the Angel's code in your setting. They really should be restrictive. Generally speaking I'd imagine that the angel can't just run about smashing every evil thing willy nilly, there'd be quite a few rules for when he's allowed to interfere at all. That's just for combat, there would likely also be restrictive rules for social actions as well, it's not like a good angel could run around drunk and not face serious drawbacks.

Angels already have zero free will. Period. It's not a code, it's not a vow, it's absolute. If they do anything they aren't supposed to, they stop being an angel forever and lose all their powers.

The GM basically has carte blanche with angels. He can tell the character to do something or not do something, and the choice is to do it or give up being an angel. It's honestly the single most restrictive racial ability I've ever seen (and that includes ones never published).

As far as socially, an angel would be constantly mobbed by religious fanatics (believers and non-believers), the infirm seeking healing, and of course those wanting to use it for their own purposes. The only way to avoid that would be to not use the powers which kind of defeats the purpose of having them.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: