Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage Worlds of Wild ARMs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxlgeeklord
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules you have posted appear to make ARMS-users the weakest of the available AB's. They have AB:Super Powers but their powers can be lost/stolen and they require bullets to work. You should probably throw in some minor benefit to even it out, or else you might find everyone becoming something else.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxlgeeklord wrote:
The rules you have posted appear to make ARMS-users the weakest of the available AB's. They have AB:Super Powers but their powers can be lost/stolen and they require bullets to work. You should probably throw in some minor benefit to even it out, or else you might find everyone becoming something else.

It's actually worse than that. They lose all of their powers when their ARM is taken away. A simple Disarm attack can render them ineffectual, cutting them off from their entire Arcane Background without even needing a Shaken result.

A limitation like that is ... a major hindrance equivalent. They need another edge-equivalent ability to make up for it. Rapid Recharge, Power Points, or even a second Power could all work.

My own inclination is to make ARMs be Relics - magic items that give some boons to their users, including making attacks with the ARM a lot more effective. But you seem determined to go a different direction with this, so I'll focus on helping you walk that path.
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why the rules are still in play-test, to find such loopholes. I'm still looking at the Supers Companion rules that have to do with items like that. Heck, how many times has Thor lost his hammer or Stark's Armor get torn to pieces? It's really nothing new in terms of fiction and the player would kind of foolish to not have other abilities. A dummy cord works wonders where weapons are concerned

At least, that the way I was thinking at when I moved A.R.M.s from Weird Science to Superpowers. It does like like it could have the potential to be game braking, but then again it couldn't. Heck, it could be the makings of a pretty good character plot adventure.

All that being said, I like the idea of making the ARM itself a bit more special and possibly unique. I mean these weapons usually have lasted for 1000 years with little wear and tear (depending on which game), adding some extras to the base weapon would add to the mystique.
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just digging this out for it's bi-annual inspection. Need to actually run a playtest of this sometime to see if the rules as they are work.
islan
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend making an entirely new AB Edge for ARMs users, rather than slightly modifying the Weird Science Edge. Weird Science was designed for a specific kind of pulp "mad scientist" type of character, which I don't think befits the concept of the ARMs wielders.

My advise for making a new AB Edge is to not be afraid of breaking the system at first, and just try to model the concept of what it actually means to be an ARMs wielder. Once you get that down, then take a hammer to it to get it more in-line with the shared power-level you want in the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: