Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage Worlds of Wild ARMs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Savage Worlds of Wild ARMs Reply with quote

(Hmm... first post)

Hello from Sunny AZ! Took a little while for Savage Worlds to grow on me, but 'Now I'm a believer' as the song goes. Smile

Anyways, I thought I'd share the background I'm working on. There's a series of console RPGs called Wild ARMs that where on both the PSX and PS2 that kind gets overlooked. The Core concept is a Dying Planet, Western Theme, Magic, and Ancient Relic Machines, (ARMs). There are 5 games in the series plus one remake on the PS2 and one RPG-strategy game on the PSP. They have varying degrees of success, (I personally didn't like # 5 for example).

It thought it'd be fun to see a 'Savaged' version Wild ARMs and see just how quickly I can whip up setting rules, so here goes:

The Savage World of FalGaia

"Roughly a Millennium ago, the was a war. No one today knows just why the war started, why it was fought, or even who won. Only thing that every one today agrees on is that the planet has been dying as a result. Ruins from that war litter the dying landscape. Technology from the war are found in Ruins that dot the savaged landscape. For reasons that cannot be fully explained, only a few individuals alive today can use the Ancient's technology, these Ancient Relic Machines or ARMs. Some are respected, some are feared. The struggle to survive has been a harsh one. But with the rumors coming from the North, the struggle is about to get harder..."

That's the basic set-up. The core book should be enough to get me started. Magic and ARMs users would use Arcane Background Wizard and Weird Science, respectively. The tech will vary, but weapons on the 19th century will exist. We'll see just how well it works when I run it. Details to come later.
FoxBlue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has a dystopian supernatural western feel you'll probably want to check out deadlands: reloaded. It has a lot to work from and is great setting in it's own right. I've never played the games but I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already thought about that, and they do share a lot of similarities, but it's not so gritty, (in a lot places it's been kiddified). Dystopian wouldn't be the word that I'd use. More like Post-post Apocalyptic, civilization does exist, but in small enclaves, and rarely larger than a small city. That being said, the folks behind the series do like a bit of Kurosawa and Leoni. We shall see how it turns out, though. I have to get players first. Smile
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. In an attempt to keep with the spirit of Savage Worlds, here are the Setting rules V1:

Starting Rank: Novice. No changes in points

Allowed Races: Human. perk: One free edge
(The Elw, Wind mice, Noble Reds and others wont be appearing for now.)

Inappropriate Skills: Piloting (no flying machines exist that anyone has seen, so no teachers)

Inappropriate Edges: Arcane Background: Miracles, Psionic, and Supers as well as any edges pertaining to those from any book/source.

Modifications to existing edges:
Arcane Background: Weird Science becomes Arcane Background: ARMs and will pertain only to ARMs users. The rules remain unchanged except: ARMs users are the only ones who can synchronize with the ARMs themselves, as a result, ARMs Weapons and devices cannot be used by non-ARMs users, not even as a standard weapon or item. ARMs users can use the ARMs of other users but does so at a -4 penalty as they aren't synchronized. Also, New Power edges are used slightly differently. (see New Power Edge rules mod)

ARMs weapons start with a standard weapon as it's base and can function identically to the standard weapon as well as use any ammo made for that weapon. They start off with one power per standard rules.

Any powers added will be part of the ARM itself and be used during any turn as usual rules, but only one power can be used at a time and the ARM 'cannot' be fired as standard weapon while a power is active or being maintained (The Ancients were good, but not that good).

In addition to the use of Power Points, the ARM will use bullets equal to the ROF of the base weapon (this is a constant theme in the games where the character had to reload every now and then. As for the Power Points, the use of the powers take a lot willpower to use so they'll stay).

Arcane Background: Wizard has no change to the rules.

Gadgeteer becomes ARMsmith and Knowledge Skill must be ARMs and pertaining to the base item (i.e Weapons). No other changes.

New Power: For ARMs users, this means a new power for the ARM and requires someone with the ARMsmith edge to make the modifications.

Equipment allowed: anything that would appear in the mid to late 19th Century US.

The rest will be fluff as The World of FalGaia is fleshed out.

Well, there it is. 1st draft of the Setting rules. The Mods where made based on the games, which tend to vary quite a bit. As of this writing, they haven't been tested, so they aren't set in stone by any means.

Opinions?
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. It's been awhile since I looked at my Savage World of Wild ARMs rules.

To be honest, Real Life invaded and I've been too busy to do anything but deal with that. Sad

I haven't thought too much about these rules of late, in fact, I was reminded about it when the latest Smiling Jack's Bar & Grill podcast.

So I looked up this tread to see where I left off. Not a bad foundation, but I do need to do some work on it. Mainly just wanted to make sure it isn't lost. Smile
Kodyax
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going by the anime or the video games or a little bit of both for this? Deadlands is a little too gritty for either but I imagine some of the trappings would be good to borrow from. Maybe Runepunk as well. I can't say for sure because I have neither game. Right now all I have is Explorer's Edition and the Fantasy Companion. I just ordered Necessary Evil through Amazon though, and I know I have Deadlands on my wish list for purchase later.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine the video game. The anime is widely despised by fans of the video game and has had a mixed reception among anime fans. Myself, I find the anime to be something of a guilty pleasure.
Kodyax
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I enjoyed both actually
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather liked the campiness of the cartoon myself and thought it fun to watch, (rather like The Slayers meets The Wild, Wild, West TV show).

As for the actual setting, I'm mostly concentrating on getting the System rules, (aka, The Crunch), down and working before I start on the Filgia/Falgia chapters. Luckily for me, the only thing that really needs fine tuning is the ARMs rules themselves as the rest falls neatly into place with SWXE already.

Each game has it's own little twist and trappings, so I'm trying to codify what's common to most, it not all, of them, even the Cartoon.

I'm undecided on how the New Powers edge would work with an ARM. In the video games, you'd have ARMsmiths in the towns as a matter of conveinince, like the Inn and Store. But that wouldn't work as well (to my mind anyways) in a FTF RPG.

I'm thinking that the Gadgeteer edge is still approcriate to give ARMs new powers. It's just a matter of how common I'd want to make the ability.

Opinions?
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobel Reds:

This race usually only appears as NPCs or part of legend in Wild ARMs, but the Cartoon had one as a main character. From what I gather, they are basiclly Vampirs (half-vampires without the lame angst?) who are long lived. They don't require blood to live, but treat it somewhat like alchohol and will have a tendecy to go after a healthy supply. They aren't affected by the sun, and can transform into bats with varying success.

They have minor distinctive features of pointed ears and enlarged canines.

I would thing they'd have a starting racial die of D6 in Agility, Whatever edge that allows they to shapchange to bat, Longevity, low level regen and the dependecy hindarance for blood. (I don't have SWEX handy, atm)

That should make for a decent Novice character.

Opinions?
cormac
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the title of the thread and thought why would anyone play in a game about rampaging cash-machines?

Sorry its been a long day Confused
tHE rED hATTER
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another factor to consider is the rarity of the ARMS. In the first game all guns were ARMs and were ancient artifacts that required a specialized type of person in order to use them. In the second one all guns were still ARMs but it seemed like anyone could use them with no mention of them being a lost or even uncommon technology. I think the best way to do this would be to make them seperate altogether: anyone can use guns, but to use an ARM you must take it as an arcane background. (I also recall people being afraid of the destructive power of ARMs so you could tie in the outsider hindrance for anyone who discovers that thats not an ordinary 6 shooter)
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how I have it in my draft rules. It's pretty much ripping off Wierd Science except that all the powers are contained in a single gadget (the ARM) that only the person who's synced to it can use.
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Dang... two years)

I haven't touched this in awhile and thought I'd revisit it.

I've played a few of the games (the first two are in the playstation store, check them out!)

I'm still looking at the rules for ARMs user and think they rather clunky, possibly the way they take the place of Weird Science. I was reminded that gadgeteers would definitely fit in the setting.

Would making ARMs user a variant of Weird Science and keep them both work?
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds kinda like the Anime "Desert Punk".

In other words... very interesting.

Also like your avatar. What game is that Fast Frigate counter from?
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, in those two years, I've written up Savage profiles for the anime version.
Kythkyn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild ARMs is like one of my all time favourite RPGs. Well, the first one anyway.
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would an ARMs user be be better served by a Focused version of Superpowers with the Trappings of the Mythical Item (which would be appropriate considering the age of of the weapons)? Or would leaving Weird Science as and making the ARM a variant of it be just fine? Each has their advantages.

For example, if AB:Supers, The ARMs user could slowly unlock the abilities inherent to the item over time (either by continuing practice or tweaking the settings), whereas making it a modifiable device by someone would be more realistic, (well as far as you could get in a setting like this). Would have to see how each works out as they both work differently.

I can't believe I've forgotten the Baskar culture which play a prominent role in a few of the games. This means Miracles should be back on the list of available Arcane Backgrounds with the Nature trappings.

I think it's about time to make V2 of the draft rules
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warrenss2 wrote:
Also like your avatar. What game is that Fast Frigate counter from?

It's not a Fast Frigate, but an improved version of the regular Burke Class FF of The Federation Star Fleet.
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setting Rules V2

Starting Rank: Novice. No changes in points

Allowed Races: Human. perk: One free edge
(The Elw, Wind mice, Noble Reds and others wont be appearing for now.)

Inappropriate Skills: Guts is not used

Inappropriate Edges: Arcane Background: Psionics, as well as any edges pertaining to it from any book/source.

Modifications to existing edges:

Arcane Background: Superpowers will be used for ARMs users with the trappings of a Mythical Item which can be lost or stolen. ARMs weapons uses a standard weapon as it's base and can function identically to that weapon as well as use any ammo made for that weapon. Powers gained from the ARM use one bullet to activate. Skill use as appropriate to power gained. The ARM will not work for anyone but the user it's synced to, not even other ARMs users.

Optional rule: The base weapon is randomly determined (table to follow)

Arcane Background: Magic has no change to the rules. Common Trappings are combining of Crest Graphs for magic or gaining power from a Spirit.

Arcane Background: Miracles has no change to rules. Trapping are Nature based and most often used by the Baskar.

Arcane Background: Weird Science has no changes to the rules. Trappings would be scientists and engineers trying to learn Ancient technology and making use of it.

Equipment allowed: anything that would appear in the mid to late 19th Century Earth.

Common Archetypes:

ARMs user: Is synced with an ARM, how or why is up to player. Skills and edges required: Shooting
and AB: Superpowers.

Traveling Scholar: Travels Falgaia to various ruins to piece together the worlds lost history. They may or may not have patronage.

Wandering Warrior: Highly skilled in a particular melee weapon and wanders the land for personal reasons.

Priest: Holy man or woman on a quest to heal the land. (Most often a member of the Baskar culture)

Treasure hunter: explores ruins for personal gain, not knowledge

The rest will be fluff as The World of FalGaia is fleshed out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: