Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slipstream Rocket combat
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pfr_Fate
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Slipstream Rocket combat Reply with quote

With no disrespect intended, I always had trouble with the Chase Rules used for ship combat. So, I went off and did a small set of rules up for Slipstream Rocket Ships. Weighs in at six pages, including customizing rocketships in the Stream and a few graphics. It is meant to not be much like a miniatures vehicle game - more of a way to role-play while your rocket is in battle.
Currently in MSWord form, becuase I don't know if all the bugs a out, yet. When they are, I'll send it over to Savage HEroes and the Explorer's Society.

So....PM with an email address if you'd like a copy to play out and tell me what i screwed up on!
Pfr_Fate
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 veiws...2 takers.

OK: some advertising, then.

When in game, two or more ships decide to mix it up, you pull out a little Radiophone display (provided). It has some very basic areas set out in such a way that provides some tactical decisions on movement without resorting to turning keys and inches.

Initiative cards are dealt and upon a ship's turn it has to make some tactical decisions like full speed, full attack, defense, use the nose gun, escape, and so on. Each is like giving a character an 'Action' with mutiple action penalties. When that is done, the Tactics are each rolled for to see if you succeed - each has a crew position that will roll for them (or a generic Crew Rating, if no Wild Card in that position)...the MAP applies to all these rolls.

Success with a Tactic usually adds a favorable comabt advantage, like +2 Toughness, +2 Defense, +2 to hit, Move 2+ areas, Escape and so on.

Now, you can fire your weapons if they are manned (and if the Nose Gun was selected as a Tactic - you have to aim the thing!). This is not a Tactic - a ship can always move one area and fire...Tactics provide benefits.

To hit and damages was steamlined a bit, but it pretty much is the same, except there is no Out of Control - a crew gets Shaken (knocked about).

So, pretty much the action is centered upon the crew's skills and the Tactics chosen and less on the miniature in an attempt to not break the Role-playing feel and keep all players involved and in game.

A turn would go as such:
GM: There's two Pirates on the Radiophone display. Put yourself in the center and the Pirates on the Outer Ring either side."
Deals cards - the player's ship is first.
Captain and players discuss:
Let's run for it!
It'll be tough...they got us boxed in and they are fast.
Well, then take one at a time, then.
can we fight a pirate in this boat?
We can...but my thinking is full attack or duck and weave until we can Escape.
Let's nail the first one...if it doesn't work, then we run.
Nose Gun....blast them with the Nose Gun.
Alright....Our ship moves to that one pirate, closing range, and we point the Nose at him and fire everything. One action?

GM: yep: no penalty. Pilot roll to line up the shot.
Pilot: blast...failed!
GM: use your swivel guns.
Gunners one and two: A hit...each!
Roll damage...the Pirate takes a Wound and loses some engine speed. That'll help if you decide to run!

Now their turn!

That's a broad description, anyway.
Thasmodious
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's the sales pitch, you can consider this a customer testimonial.

I took Pfr Fate's Red Alert rules for Star Trek combat (I believe these Slipstream rules are built off the basics from that?) and tweaked them for my Firefly setting (with his help) and had the chance to use them in game just last night. It played very well. The player's loved it, kept the game focused on the characters and the ships. The available tactical maneuvers play well against one another. It's a solid system. Easy to use, abstracted, little bookkeeping, interesting effects.
GreenTongue
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Slipstream Rocket combat Reply with quote

Pfr_Fate wrote:
So....PM with an email address if you'd like a copy to play out and tell me what i screwed up on!

I'd like to look them over but am unlikely to get a chance to test them. Since testing is "the price" for looking at them, guess I'll have to pass. Sad
=
Pfr_Fate
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Slipstream Rocket combat Reply with quote

GreenTongue wrote:
Pfr_Fate wrote:

I'd like to look them over but am unlikely to get a chance to test them. Since testing is "the price" for looking at them, guess I'll have to pass. Sad
=

My bad....No need to do any playtesting in a clinical way. Look em over. Play em or not....but if you do find a thing that needs tweaking, feel free to post.

You see, I'd put em up on Savage Heroes or Explorer Society, but felt that there has to be a thing or two that needs correcting and I'd like to do that before repeated reposting them (those guys have enough to do).

Now, I would put them up on my service provider provided site, but the thing ain't working. So, I am left to Email them out to those that send me an address.

Price? Nope. Have fun. Though I'd love for Clint to tear into them!
Pfr_Fate
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to show the lack of complexity with setting up a battle, here's a pic of the Radiophone Monitor with a few minis from another game....it mirrors the starting situation in the example above:

-Mike
Pfr_Fate
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought....those pesky asteroid fields, dust fields and ice fields.

One could lay them out by thickness...
Sparse: any Spades drawn in Initiative troubles the Pilot
Dense: any Spades or Clubs in Initiative troubles the Pilot

Troubles =
If the pilot roll comes up as a '1 or less' on any Tactic rolls, then the ship takes 2d10 damage from an asteroid - 2d6 from ice or '-1' Move from Radiation or Dust messing with the engines (this can be repaired as a Critical Hit). Of course, a pilot can avoid the troubles by not selecting any Pilot Tactics: he is really concentrating on avoiding the troubles.

One could also just block off some areas with this stuff and leave others empty.
Pfr_Fate
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for some of the inspiration on this set, I used this clip from Buck Rogers and the Planet Outlaws (1939) from Youtube. The action starts at roughly the 2 mintue mark (2:00), with Buck, Wilma and sidekick trying to run a blockade by sending out a remote ship to draw off attackers then making a run for it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwpXMnZnvY4

...and in this (painful) clip produced for the world fair in 1935, the idea of using the Radiophone Monitor as the 'battlemap' for Rocket Ranger! rules came from Dr. Huer, himself!!! At about 4:20 on the Youtube clip, Huer monitors the battle on his "Cosmic Radio Television" device. Painful early stuff. But here's to those that broke ground!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz1AHjN27xU

...and at 4:53 or so, Killer kane and the traitors are gathered around their own Radiophone Monitor to watch the battle!

-Have fun! Mike
GreenTongue
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real mood setters. Good finds.
=
Froggy the Great
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will hopefully be giving this a test run with my group in a couple weeks.\
I really like what I see, but it could use a lot of polish.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pfr_Fate
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Froggy the Great wrote:
I will hopefully be giving this a test run with my group in a couple weeks.\
I really like what I see, but it could use a lot of polish.

Thanks! I'll polish them up after they go through some reviews. Some good advice so far: like adding a reference page, clarifying the Graviton Beam use and such.

Please keep commenting! We all want the FFF!
Pfr_Fate
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviews are coming in...I updated the first set based on that and sent them back out, but they are being tested this weekend.

We'll see how that goes!

Zoom zoom
Vinzent
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it looks like a cool idea. I take it that the PCs ship is always in the center of the radiophone and that combat is relative to them?

Questions: What happens if the PCs have more than one ship? What if some of them deploy in Rocket Sleds?
FoxBlue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say if there are more than one ship, have the center be for the ship with the most PCs on it as that is the point of view they would see the battle from.
Pfr_Fate
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough...the Radiophone idea was a way to simplify movement into brouad ranges (like the Chase Rules) but to account (somewhat) for ultiple locations of multiple combatants. The inspiration was an old 1930s World Fair movie of Buck Rogers, wherein the Weird Science doctor watches the Earth battle the Tiger Men led by Killer Kane and the traitor Ardarla.

So, no. The Center Circle of the display is in the original 'center' of the battle. Like a GoogleMap is centered upon a location - not like a GPS centered on your car.
jasales
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfr_Fate
I couldn't get the pm to work. jim at ravenoaks dot org if you don't mind. I'd like to test this out.
Spence
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would PM you, but I just don't have the free time to do any testing. Sounds really cool though.
Pfr_Fate
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I got a mediafile hosting to work....if so, you can all find the current version of Slipstream Rocket Ranger at:

http://www.mediafire.com/?yzznomnkdfj

There are some typos in this one (nothing dangerous, I suspect), but the intent was to get more than just MY opinion on it. (Hey: I like everything I do, unitl I don't). After whatever critiques and fixes occur, I'll fix it up into a better PDf (may use original art)....

-Mike
Seeker of Truth
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall I definitely like what I see. The main reason I never liked using the Chase rules for this sort of thing was that seemed TOO abstract. But this feels like starship (or rocketship) combat without busting out the rulers and whatnot. And if you were to come up with different looks for the radiophone display, it would work beautifully for other scifi settings. Something slightly organiz for the crew of a Leviathan in a Farscape game, somewhat cobbled together and not too high-tech for Firefly/Serenity, and so on.
Pfr_Fate
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had intended to do such, but wanted to get any core problems shaken out before the bells and whistles...That Radiophone is a little simple. i want buttons and switches!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: