Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this right
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JmOz01
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Is this right Reply with quote

Assuming a character is human, and has gotten 5 xp

Strength d4
Agility d10
Smarts d8
Spirit d4
Vigor d4

Skills

Weird Science d8
Science d6
science d6
Shooting d10
Notice d8
Fighting d4
Stealth d6
repair d8

Edges
AB: Weird Science
---Bolt Power (Blaster Pistol)
Ambidextrous
Two Fisted

Hinderaces
Elderly
Loyal
Quirk

5 xp New Power: Bolt Second Pistol

Can I really Shoot off 6 bolts at no penalty every round?
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup. you'll roll 3d10 and a d6 per hand.

of course you have a 47% chance of getting at least one 1 on a shooting die, which means a malfunction.

you can use a bennie to reroll, of cource, but a bennie will only let you reroll one hand, if you get a 1 with your left and, and a 1 with your right hand, that's 2 bennies to reroll everything.

But then you can only do it for 3 rounds until you run out of power points.
Wibbs
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a quick glance, I have a couple of points...
- It's more than a bit munchkiny to take Elderly when your Vigour and Strength are already at d4 as it isn't really acting as a Hindrance in that case, but if your GM is happy with that.

You'll be a glass cannon who is easy to taunt and intimidate. Along with Toughness 4, and Vigour and Spirit at d4, expect to be shaken and/or wounded a lot of the time and have a difficult time removing the Shaken status.

EDIT: ogbendog makes some good points as well. The chances of a 1 on six dice are high, so you'll be malfunctioning ALOT, and you'll run out of power points fast.

EDIT 2: Removed blatently incorrect bits where I couldn't read properly

Last edited by Wibbs on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackhawk
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if the number of skill points and Quickness can be explained with setting rules, this is a very focused character - ie, a 1-trick pony. Put everything into one type of action and you're fodder in almost any situation in which it doesn't apply.
JmOz01
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wibbs, look over the write up, he did not take quickness, he has taken Bolt twice,,,

the 1's is an issue (for a slipstream game not so bad actualy as there is another edge to take to help with that...)
greyseerco
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't see Quick (which either was editted out or he mistakenly saw Quirk as Quick).

Shooting 6 bolts with no penalty is a bit strong of a statement, there are plenty of penalties that can apply to shooting. But for base rolling of dice, that is correct.

While Wibbs is also almost correct, there are actually 20 skill points, I would point out Elderly gives 5 skill points to Smarts linked skills (Notice, Repair, and Knowledge) So I think this guy is legit, but also note he is going to be frail (a Toughness of 4 is asking for wounds left and right) and he is going to be slow when it comes to getting in and out of a fight.
Now if you allow all sorts of modern science armor and shields and jetpacks to over come these hindrances, I would consider making Elderly a minor instead of a major hindrance.
JmOz01
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so everyone knows, this in no way is an actual character, but rather an exercise in abuse, something I like to do at times so I can see possible weaknesses in a system. Or in otherwords, as a game I like to break the system to see,,,
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As my post said, each round you do it, you have about a 50% chance of losing a gun.

and the malfunction has equal chance of:
2d6 damage in a large burst template (and there you are with a puny toughness of 4)
breaks, can be fixed with 2d6 hours of work
breaks, fixed with a repair check of -2
does reverse of the intent (suggestion for a weapon was fires at a random target)

you can only do it for 3 rounds, you have a 15% chance of doing it without a malfunction. At the end of 3 round, each gun has 1 shot. It'll take 9 hours for them to fully recharge

So it's not very sustainable.
Wibbs
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear me, I really shouldn't post on forums late at night Surprised

Yeah, basically ignore my previous post. For some reason I read Quirk as Quick......Oh, and the skill points are correct too with the perk from Elderly. Basically ignore my entire post Embarassed *gets coat*
raikenclw
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JmOz01 wrote:
Just so everyone knows, this in no way is an actual character, but rather an exercise in abuse . . .

He sounds a bit like an NPC I once made up in Traveller, when the party was looking for a computer savant.

The only time Emile got near a fight, it was on a world where openly carrying most weapons was illegal. He took shelter in a phone booth (think Doctor Who, but without special features) throughout the fight. Once the PCs managed to (just barely) put down all the Bad Guys, Emile cautiously eased out and whispered to the party Tank:

"Whew! For a minute there, I was worried I'd have to use the pistol hidden in the handle of my cane."

Cool
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wibbs wrote:
- It's more than a bit munchkiny to take Elderly when your Vigour and Strength are already at d4 as it isn't really acting as a Hindrance in that case

There's also the -1 Pace, and (more importantly) the fact that he can never raise his Strength or Vigor. Under the Making Races rules, "One attribute can never advance beyond a d6" is classified as a -3 racial ability - and he's got two attributes that can never advance beyond a d4!

Now let's look at his weapons. They each have 10 shots (PP), and require 1 hour per shot to recharge. So that means he has three rounds with RoF 3 - and a 27% chance of a malfunction with each hand (or a 47% chance overall, as ogbendog mentioned). A malfunction is an equal chance of:

1) Weapon explodes for 2d6 damage in a LBT centred on the character.
2) Broken device (requires hours to fix).
3) Minor glitch (an action and Repair roll at -2 to fix).
4) Hits a random target.

The minor glitch isn't a big deal (although it'll probably waste a round or two), but there's a 23.4% chance each round of breaking one of the weapons, and if that happens there's a 50/50 chance that he'll blow himself up (along with any bodyguards) as well - so he can expect his allies to keep their distance...and even that won't stop them from being randomly hit by the occasional malfunction.

Of course he can spend bennies to reroll one hand (as ogbendog also mentioned), but the reroll has a 27% chance of another malfunction - and with Spirit d4 and Vigor d4, he's going to need to those bennies to recover from being Shaken (expect to face lots of Intimidiation checks), and Soaking the wounds caused by malfunctions.

I'd be surprised if the character survived more than a session to be honest. Either he'd blow himself up, or his allies would get fed up with all the friendly fire.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The build is the epitomy of a Glass Cannon
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JmOz01 wrote:
Just so everyone knows, this in no way is an actual character, but rather an exercise in abuse, something I like to do at times so I can see possible weaknesses in a system. Or in otherwords, as a game I like to break the system to see,,,

I should think not. Having two attributes at d4 is ill-advised. Having three at d4 is suicidal. Which goes to show that it's a lot harder to munchkin Savage Worlds.
Kakaze
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shooting 6 times a turn is broken, hah! You haven't played Deadlands with my posse. There's a ranger I know who can do that every round. With one pistol. With a bonus to the roll. And it does relic damage.
Starhawk
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kakaze wrote:
Shooting 6 times a turn is broken, hah! You haven't played Deadlands with my posse. There's a ranger I know who can do that every round. With one pistol. With a bonus to the roll. And it does relic damage.

Yeah, I was about to mention that this build isn't any more powerful than a run-of-the-mill Deadlands gunslinger.

In fact, you'd probably get more damage out of a non-Weird-Science pistolero build. (And less risk of EXPLOOOOSIONS!)
Vinzent
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one of my players took the Elderly Hindrance and left his Vigor and Strength at D4, I would reduce those to a value of d2. Congratulations munchkin, you are wheelchair bound and don't have the strength to lift your own guns.

I had a player do this in Necessary Evil. He wanted his villain to be an old crotchety guy from the Silver Age. Until he drank his Jeckyl/Hyde potion he was a wheelchair bound invalid. And Yes, he had to buy up his super Vigor and Strength at a d4.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules say drop do d4, minimum of d4.

As someone pointed out, not being able to raise a stat above d6 is a -3 hindrance. Not being able to raise 2 above d4 would be at least -6 if not -8.

I'd leave it alone. They have 5 extra skill points, and are highly vulnerable to damage
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's more or less a payback for trying to get around the Elderly penalties.

SteveN
Vinzent
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just payback, common sense. A Hindrance should always be a hindrance. You build your character as to what he was at his prime and then you overlay the Elderly penalties. If, at his prime, the character had a strength and vigor of d4 then he was weak and sickly at his prime. Age has turned him into an invalid.

Also, my players don't see it as a punishment. They see it as a challenge.
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JmOz01 wrote:

Do you have Hero Lab? Its great for playing with the system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: