Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage Fantasy music

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent_Templar
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Savage Fantasy music Reply with quote

I am running an SW game set in REH's Hyborian Age- the antedeluvian world of Conan. I am trying to build the soundtrack for the game. I have found that music can make or break the mood. Vampire, SLA Industries and Cyberpunk have always been a no-brainer but this game is tougher. Here is what I am working with:

Conan the Barbarian soundtrack

Dethklok- The Dethalbum. I am not a "metal guy", but this music works for brutal, savage combat.

Dead Can Dance- various albums. This is for when they are in Turan, Shem, and Zamora.

The Thing soundtrack. john Carpenter made some pretty cool soundtracks that work well for gaming. I am busting this album out when they tackle The Tomb of Horrors converted to Savage Worlds.

Any more ideas?
DerFinsterling
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet radio: www.radiorivendell.com
Dylan S
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I split my soundtracks into different 'mood' playlists and fill them with songs I deem appropriate. The playlists I shuffle between are "Battle", "Ominous", "Town", "Adventure" and "Wandering". I've used songs from Conan, Baldur's Gate (Videogame), Last of the Mohicans, Ravenous (excellent sountrack - especially fleshes out the 'ominous' and 'wandering' moods), The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly (a couple surprisingly appropriate 'Adventure' tracks - just don't use the recognizable title theme!), Dead Can Dance, Interview With the Vampire, and a bunch of Taiko drumming I found appropriate for battle tunes (if Battlestar Galactica can do it, why shouldn't we?).

If you have the time/ambition to do the moody playlists, it lowers the chance of Kenny Loggins breaking the mood just as you're slowly describing the rusty portcullis opening with a great squealing of metal and an unearthly stench (actually, maybe that is appropriate).

Hope that helps!

dylan.

Edit: Oh! I forgot to mention a group I discovered whilst running an eerie sci-fi game: Biosphere. This group has put out about a dozen albums worth of atmospheric (often sci-fi, but not always) soundscapes. Not to be understated for gaming!
TTM
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I read "Savage Fantasy", this immediately came to mind Wink
nonefornic
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Age of Conan MMO had quite the striking soundtrack (including several nation-themed tracks for Stygia, Aquillonia and Cimmeria. It came on CD with the collectors edition if you can find it (though I'm sure, like most other things, its been pirated somewhere).
Agent_Templar
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Keep the suggestions coming, please.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: