Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TMNT Conversion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarCazm
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: TMNT Conversion Reply with quote

Last weekend the idea of making a TMNT conversion came into my mind and I started working a little on it.

Here is a first beta thing^^: TMNT Conversion

I'll add a gear section and a bestiary soon.

But any opinion and suggestion would be of help.
Especially when it comes to spelling. I'm german so if you have some better sentences in mind that would fit better to the content feel free to say so. Wink

EDIT: Of course there will some more Racial and Setting Edges. But not too many. Laughing
Chezzo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely love it, mate! Your english is superb, as is this conversion.

The only spelling or grammar error I could find was one little typo at the end. It says "th egame" instead of the game.

I can't wait to see all my favorites statted in the bestiary! We could use a few more Ninjitsu edges.

Excellent work though, man.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MarCazm
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thanks for the compliments. I really appreciate it. Embarassed

Chezzo wrote:

We could use a few more Ninjitsu edges.

I'll make some notes on which Edges from other Settings and material would be appropriate and awesome, like those Martial Arts Edges from "The Flood" or the "Modern Martial Arts" supplement by Clint.
Pariah74
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs way more animals. The game TMNT and other Strangeness would be a good reference point.

Also, if you stat the turtles or reference anything at all I would recommend using the Mirage Studio Turtles and not the cartoon stuff.

The comics versions had personalities that weren't so 2 dimensional and gimmicky. They also have a much broader rogue's gallery and higher stakes adventures.

Nice start, tho!
Chezzo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was absolutely thinking the Martial Arts edges from "The Flood," as well. Everybody else, you can check out the Modern Martial Arts supplement here.

I gave it a re-read, and the -1 pace seems pretty harsh. Maybe use the slow hindrance (2 cards, act on lowest)? I mean, it makes sense for real life, like turtles are slow, right? But not Ninja Turtles, y'know? Having to take Fleet Footed seems a little unfair.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TommyBrownell
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, if I were running a Turtles game, I would draw liberally from all areas...there are aspects and characters from each version I rather like.
Pariah74
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bias is really from being a teenager and not ever watching the "kiddie" version of my favorite comic. Razz Pizza? Cowabunga? GAH! NERD RAGE! #gunbattle

Anyway, do yourself a favor and check out the old TMNT & Other Strangeness RPG. It's a little known classic bit of RPG fun! That game is a major hoot! Plus I'm sure it has loads of inspiration for a SW conversion.
TommyBrownell
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pariah74 wrote:
My bias is really from being a teenager and not ever watching the "kiddie" version of my favorite comic. Razz Pizza? Cowabunga? GAH! NERD RAGE! #gunbattle

Anyway, do yourself a favor and check out the old TMNT & Other Strangeness RPG. It's a little known classic bit of RPG fun! That game is a major hoot! Plus I'm sure it has loads of inspiration for a SW conversion.

It is the best iteration of the Palladium house system, IMHO.

I was exposed to the Mirage version after the fact, but the Archie comics version got surprisingly deep, both in range of adversaries and storylines, before cancellation.

From the more recent Turtles cartoon, I rather liked the addition of Hun...not a huge fan of anything else...=)
zeth
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure rats should have hardy. Hardy makes you immune to getting wounded from being shaken two times in a row. Other then that I love it so far and hope you can expand on it.
MarCazm
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the stuff I need to work with.^^

OK first things first.
I will add a little reference how to create more mutants. In my conversion every Race starts with a ability outcome of +3 instead the usual +2.
I didn't want to put it full of races for which I then have to make Racial Edges too and so on. Got a little lazy in my old days and not so much time. Wink

Chezzo wrote:

I gave it a re-read, and the -1 pace seems pretty harsh. Maybe use the slow hindrance (2 cards, act on lowest)? I mean, it makes sense for real life, like turtles are slow, right? But not Ninja Turtles, y'know? Having to take Fleet Footed seems a little unfair.

It's not as harsh as letting them act later in combat. Wink
They're just 1" slower than humans, it's not that of a big deal.

I've checked the Palladium stuff and it creep the hell out of me. Way too much!
But I'll take a look at the Mirage books if I get my fingers on them.

zeth wrote:

I'm not sure rats should have hardy. Hardy makes you immune to getting wounded from being shaken two times in a row.

That's how it works. They're hardy, but Small. And I just wanted the typical rat that just won't die and I'm not the big fan of giving races the standard Edges, cause these are for the players to choose to build their characters according to their image of the character. I could have given them Hard To Kill instead of Hardy but that wouldn't feel right, cause I want them to not get knocked out that quickly. And if a player wants his rat way more let me say imperishable then he can choose to give them Hard To Kill and then his rat has better chances to stay on it's feet even though it got "Shellshocked".
Hope my explanation try makes sense and clarifies want I mean. Smile

Thanks for the many responses so far. I hope I get some of those gear and beastiry sections done next week.
MarCazm
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little question:

How much does an average pizza in the US cost?

I'm sitting over my gear section and wonder which price I should give a pizza. Actually I'm like let's make it 5$ and that should be fine. But I just want to be sure. Wink
shadd4d
Legendary

Location: Charlottesville, VA...I miss Deutschland and Chicago.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a medium pizza over here, Chicago deep dish style (sauce on top, cheese and toppings on bottom) a couple of days ago and that ran me $16 for a 12". It's probably more like $10 and leave out any discussion of size and width.

Don

"But there is a difference between fear and horror. An important difference.
Fear is when you worry about what might be.
Horror is when you are certain." Dannyboy01
Pariah74
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarCazm wrote:
Just a little question:

How much does an average pizza in the US cost?

I'm sitting over my gear section and wonder which price I should give a pizza. Actually I'm like let's make it 5$ and that should be fine. But I just want to be sure. Wink

$5 dollars will get you a pre-made "grab N go" pizza-like food from Dominos or Little Ceasars. It will have the general appearance of pizza and one topping, but I would include a Vigor check to resist abdominal cramps and...ahem...you know. It's $5 for a reason.

If you want an average quality pizza (like Pizza Hut or Godfathers) it will run you about $15.

A good quality pizza with lots of toppings and good ingredients would be around $20

*These prices are estimates for Central Illinois/Mid West and a pizza that is about 14" diameter (35 cm).

On the coasts and in big cities, specifically NYC, you might be looking at a higher price. Somebody from those regions would need to speak to that.
MarCazm
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK that's more than I expected.^^
A basic 14" pizza starts at 5 here in germany but it varies from the topping up to 8 or maybe 10. At 10 starts the family size pizzas. At least here at my region. Lucky me. Very Happy

OK I'll put the price to $15 for a pizza.

But that pizza2go gives me some ideas for some stuff... like Vigor rolls to heal are at -2 and a critical failure does make a wound or something like that. Twisted Evil

Now to my next thing: Weapons.
I'll base some of the weapons on The Flood Player's Guide. Like the Sai or Nunchuks, but I tweak them a bit and would like to hear some opinions.
In The Flood the Sai gives a +1 to Parry and to Disarm attacks. I'll cut out just the Parry thing and stay with the Disarm +1.
The Nunchuks are way more expensive than the Sai and have a higher Agility requirement but doesn't give any other bonus to whatever. That's a little of the score for me in direct comparison to the Sai, which is lighter, cheaper, a lower Agility requirement and brings some special stuff with it. So I'll give the Nunchuk a Fighting +1 (actually it's more like a Parry-1 to the Opponent but technically it's the same), cause the Opponent needs to follow the Nunchuks to get a clou from where it's coming from.
chugosh
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the dollar frozen pizza to be considered. Hardly in a class with the real thing, or even the cheap $5 variety, but good enough to eat. For all that, there is nothing wrong with the cheap pizza, but I suppose there is an intestinal learning curve to them. I, for one, am fully adapted to the consumption of cheap pizza, as well as many other cheap foods, but then I'm a working class American. Trucker, even.

I also have followed the Turtles since 1989. It seemed to me that they could handle any level of pizza, or anything else they went up against.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At games last year we would get the 3 foot wide pizza with 3 toppings that cost $50 but we always used a half off coupon from the University paper so it only cost us about $5 each. We heard that because of us and another game group they stopped having the half off coupon on the $50 pizza

I like the dollar pizzas when on sale. but I fold them and pretend they are large hot pockets

The other day on the local CL some one was selling a pair of "Swords" but the picture was sais

In the last live action Turtle show they stole my idea and added a female turtle, but they messed the name a color and weapon. I wanted her to be name Myrtle and have pink and carry a whip.

I could use these rules for my Limey London Sewer Urchins. They all look like giant biped rats with pompadore hair and dress like the stray cats

2 years ago I found all the Paladium Turtle Books for about $10 so I bought them when no one was looking and traded them for a box of elf chick action figures
zeth
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do pizzas do stuff? Every TMNT video game eating pizza restores health. That be cool but unrealistic ion a TMNT table top game.
Pariah74
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:
2 years ago I found all the Paladium Turtle Books for about $10 so I bought them when no one was looking and traded them for a box of elf chick action figures

That makes me sad. The Palladium system takes a lot of flak but it's mostly undeserved. Yes, it's a clunky wonky system...but that's more due to its age than its rules. The real problem with the Palladium system is that it hasn't been updated. It needs a severe overhaul to modernize it.

And trading the TMNT books away was your loss, man. There is great stuff in those books...especially Transdimensional TMNT. That books overflows with great ideas!!

As far as pizza costs...the Euro is worth roughly 1.5 times the dollar. So a $15 pizza here costs you 10. Wink

Honestly, in your shoes I would just use your local costs and call the money dollars. I often do that in games, especially medieval fantasy. Gold Coin = $1. So a night in a decent inn costs around 30 gold, a month long stay is gonna be like 20 times that, a beer costs 2 or 3 gold. A decent shirt 15 gold.* It simply allows people to estimate their costs for a journey, an ability any character from the setting would be able to do.

If you live in Germany, rather than having your players mess with conversion rates, it might be easier to just use European prices, and call it dollars instead of Euros

*The only exception is the Wild West. If I need to figure the cost of something for the old west I take a modern equivalent and divide it by 20.
MarCazm
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I just call it money give things a price and finito. Mr. Green

I think a price about 10 or 15 is a good one for the pizza, especially for the effects of it. Wink

Now all that keeps me bugging are the prices for the weapons. Of course there will be Baseball bats and Hockey sticks. I hope 15 isn't too low for them. As well as the Hockey mask for a helmet and so on.
And so I'm thinking how much the starting funds will be. At the time I guess I'll make it 100 for character generation. Hope I'll get the section done til end of the week.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some used baseball bats at goodwill for about $3 each. I keep one under the work bench and one under the front desk at work. Just in case
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: