Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A note on the Offers (particularly Quiz Jungle quizzes)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Facebook Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick Zachariasen
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: A note on the Offers (particularly Quiz Jungle quizzes) Reply with quote

When completing the free offers for Prestige, I thought I should post here about the ones that ask for your phone number. I just read through the Quiz Jungle privacy policy, which exlicitly states that not only may they telemarket to you, they may also sell your information to others. Agreeing to their terms of service means you agree to their privacy policy, meaning you grant them permission to telemarket to you.

While this probably isn't anything resembling a surprise, do note that you absolutely should not give these people your cellphone number. Why? Under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, it is illegal to telemarket to anyone's cellphone absent either an established business relationship (EBR) or the line holder's permission unless the telemarketer is (or is calling on behalf of) a tax-exempt non-profit entity. If a telemarketer violates this, then the firm becomes civilly liable to the line holder for $500 statutory damages.

However, once you give them permission, it's like inviting a vampire into your house— you nearly have to kill them to get them out. You see, the allowance granted for an EBR lasts for 6 months following the relationship's termination. Also, it would likely be a nightmare to give these people written notice that you're terminating the permission for them to call you once that period's over.

My point is this. If you give them your real cellphone number and actually proceed through their interminable mountain of crap just to get to the results page, you've opened the door for telescum to burn through your paid-for minutes with no legal recourse. Just don't do it. These offers aren't worth the pain they'll turn into later.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
brandigrrrl
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: agree Reply with quote

it will turn out cheaper in the end for you to flat out buy presitge than to have these jerks calling your cell phone. I filled out part of one of those things for another game and get at LEAST 2 calls per day, always in the middle of the day when cell mins are usually most expensive. Fortunately for me it;s a landline.

And yes, its a NIGHTMARE to get rid of htem, even when legally they are REQUIRED to honor a 'don't call' request, they don;t, and how do you find the company info to sue or press charges? practically impossible.
Nick Zachariasen
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: agree Reply with quote

brandigrrrl wrote:
And yes, its a NIGHTMARE to get rid of htem, even when legally they are REQUIRED to honor a 'don't call' request, they don;t, and how do you find the company info to sue or press charges? practically impossible.

As your phone company for it. If they won't turn it over without a court order, then get one.
brandigrrrl
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm sure the ph company would be quite happy to provide the ph no(s), problem arrises when you don't know the actual name of the company calling you. Even if you only complete one "offer", those companies sell your info to all kinds of people, many of whom don't even use real Human Beings to make their calls. Had some auto-dialer/recorded message thing call my house the other day. which I'm SURE is illegal in my area, with no company name given and the ph number blocked. GRRR.
Nick Zachariasen
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Off-Topic Reply with quote

dpmcalister wrote:
Nick Zachariasen wrote:
...burn through your paid-for minutes...

Have I read that right? You pay to receive calls to your mobile phone in the US? Is that the same for tourists who use their mobile phones while in the US?

Handy to know because I'll be in Florida for 2 weeks next year on holiday and was intending on taking my mobile phone with me. Thanks.

It counts against your minutes usage, yes. You also pay to receive text messages, which is infuriating when you have to sign up a line for a text package because your wife's friends won't stop texting her.

As far as how to file the suit, ask your local Clerk of Courts about how to file a John Doe suit. Either that or you'd have to file against your carrier to get the names. I'm not sure how it would work, honestly.
PEGShane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just so it's clear, we have NO control over the advertisers. That's entirely on FaceBook's end. We recommend you either play for free, check out ads only from companies you trust (maybe NetFlix?), or if you're so inclined, just buy prestige directly, which benefits Pinnacle the most.

Thanks!

Shane
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Facebook Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: