Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

100 Leagues Beneath the Earth
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rohan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: 100 Leagues Beneath the Earth Reply with quote

The other day, two friends and my wife told me to just throw something together, and I was feeling Savage-y so I had them make characters. They asked me what setting and type, and I said to just make a character, I don't care from where or when, just nothing from Rippers (don't have the book) and nothing from Necessary Evil (didn't want to deal with Supers). I ended up with a cowboy from 1875, a gentleman adventurer from 1930, and a psychotic frontiersman from 1807. I wasn't sure where I was going with it until I started talking and then it just came out.

About a year ago, I was writing a Savage adventure for a Write an Adventure in a Month contest. It involved the Thule Society, the Mediterranian basin, an artifact of Atlantis, and several other pulpy aspects. That blossomed into an entire potential setting entitled "100 Leagues Beneath the Earth". Foregoing the original adventure set up, I just dropped them into the "inner world", an entire second globe concealed inside our own Earth. Since then, they've been encountering a few ice age creatures, a small hunting pack of Velociraptors, and what appear to be pygmy natives.

They've incountered Dr. Thomas, "Doc" Spartan, a man who disappeared into the Amazon in the 1860's and has been living well for the past 100 years in the inner world. His unnaturally long life was not accounted for (he'd be about 145 years old and looks as healthy as a normal 50 year old). Doc Spartan explained the mechanics of time to the very confused adventurers, trying to use terms they would understand, and trying to explain why three people separated by 123 years can arrive at the same place at the same time.

The PCs have found themselves in a strange new world, a world lost to time. They will slowly begin to be introduced to the various factions and groups in the lost continent of Argonnesseum, or they may be exposed to the giants of the mysterious continent of Enochia. If they brave the loose pirate confederations of the Brotherhood of Bones or the group known simply as the Air-Raiders, they may even make it to the mysterious lands of Li'Jinn, an area with a most unusual and colorful past.

All of this is going on while three competing factions endevour to discover more about the Machine, a construct built in the past by a race of people yet to exist. Men (and women) with talent, skills, and the desire for adventure are in high demand in the inner world and the factions will pay handsomely to employ them, or as a bounty on them.

Welcome to the inner world, traveler. Just be sure to watch your step; not all of the fiends are covered in fur or scales.

Become a fan on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Silvergryphongames

Current WIP: Wellstone City Chronicles, Puppets, and One-liners
Poor Wandering One
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the love of Prince Zarkon you have to post this as an AP.
Please?
Rohan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My forum-fu is weak and I do not understand AP. However, I will give you a little taste. Meet the Neo-Spartans:

Neo-Spartans
Members: About 10,000 (2,500 in Spartansburg)
Base of Operations: Spartansburg
Leader: Thomas "Doc" Spartan
Purpose: Learn more about the Machine and collect relics

Summary
They do not take their name from the Lacedaemians of Earth’s past, but instead from Thomas “Doc” Spartan. This group of devotees do not idolize, worship, or pay tribute to Doc Spartan, but they do follow his wishes and work to further his goals. The Neo-Spartans are convinced that Doc Spartan is correct in that what is happening in Argonnesseum is the result of the function of a time-displaced machine. They are based largely in Spartansburg, but small splinter groups have formed in various other locations around the continent.

Neo-Spartans are constantly watching for bits of the mystery that Doc Spartan has professed are the key to solving the mystery of the inner world. Working as legitimate merchants, adventurers, and con-artists, they have positioned themselves to be in places where relics and clue of the future civilization cross through the world. Most of the more devoted followers have adapted the symbol of the Lacedaemians and have branded their shoulders with the Greek letter Lambda over the deltoid muscle. The mark is not required for membership into the Neo-Spartans, and given that the Neo-Spartans are a known organization with an unknown constituency, it best serves the organization that its members not be publicly known.

Military
The Neo-Spartans do not have a formal military organization. Instead, they rely on staying partially hidden, counter-intelligence, and the strengths of their individual members. Those who organize under the guise of the Neo-Spartans are quickly dissuaded by Thomas Spartan, saying that he appreciates their fervor but thinks it would best be used for purposes other than focused violence.

Symbols and Colors
Neo-Spartans do not wear particular styles of clothing and do not don any type of significant ornamental identification. To do so would undermine their activities in many areas. However, there are those who are devoted enough to voluntarily mark themselves that take on the “Mark of the Spartan”. This mark is the aforementioned Greek letter of Lambda worn by their namesakes of the ancient world.

Views on other Societies
Cult of the Machine: Very dangerous devotees of a flawed philosophy
Brotherhood of Bones: Bloody pirates
Ghosts of the Darkness: Very dangerous and to be protected against at all costs
Orinoco: Best supporters of the Neo-Spartans
Air-Raiders: Like the Brotherhood, but with less regard for decency and fairness
Nazis: A scourge to be wiped out
Styxians: Obsessed but helpful
Arinaran Cannibals: Avoid at all costs
Agents of Atlantis: A very helpful group
Kamalans: More dangerous than useful
Artificer’s Guild: More dangerous to themselves than others

Oswald Rabbit
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: ERB-esque Reply with quote

This sounds a lot like Edgar Rice Burroughs's "Pellucidar" setting, which I just finished running a campaign set in. For those not familiar with it, the premise of Pellucidar is that the Earth is actually a hollow sphere with a crust some 500 miles thick. The inner surface of the Earth is a world called Pellucidar, where prehistoric creatures and savage tribes of primitive humans dwell, provided with heat and light by the Earth's molten core, which serves as Pellucidar's sun, suspended in the center of the Earth by centrifugal forces.
Since this miniature "sun" is stationary in the sky (I say "miniature" even though it appears three times the size of the real sun as seen from the outer surface of the Earth), it is eternally noon everywhere in Pellucidar. Consequently, Pellucidarians have no concept of time. In the absence of day-night cycles, the passage of time is measured in "sleeps," which vary widely from person to person. In fact, time itself seems to be subjective in Pellucidar, passing at different rates for different people, depending on how many events occur to them. If nothing happens, no time has passed. It also makes it difficult to measure distances, since you're never sure how long you've been traveling. This lack of time--or lack of the individual's perception of it--has the effect of slowing down the aging process.
Speaking of distances, since the surface of Pellucidar is a concave plane, there are no horizons. The land and sea simply curve upwards until they are lost in the distance. There is also a race of bloody pirates who prowl the seas of Pellucidar, called Korsars, along with many intelligent non-human and cannibalistic races. Pellucidar can be accessed through a hole in the Earth's crust near the North Pole.
For further information, I suggest reading David Critchfield's "The Gilak's Guide to Pellucidar" published by Darel Az Books, which contains extensive information about Pellucidar and the entire hollow-earth milieu in general.
Rohan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well certainly there are other hollow earth ideas, and Burrow presents one of the most well known ones, perhaps second only to Jules Verne. Tales of what we consider to be a Hollow Earth go back to the 1500s and beyond, with the French having a surprising amount of literature on the subject. While a few bits here and a few bits there are being borrowed (names, dates, etc) I am leaving Burrows' stuff alone; his family tightly controls the copyrights and everything was handled appropriately so I can't even touch the stuff prior to 1923.

The Hollow Earth game setting/system seems to follow the idea of the egg-shell Earth, with Earth that we all know and love on the outside and on the inside is another world on the concave of the sphere. The center is the "sun", the core of the Earth, which never sets so far as I can tell.

I'm going in a totally different direction from either of them, adding a few twists, modernizing the legend, pulling from multiple sources, and making it my own. In college I was a History major, and my area of interest was out-of-place artifacts and legends, so there's a fair bit of that mixed in, too.

It'll be a fun setting, no doubt about that. I might try to sell it once it's done enough, but even pushing it under the Silver Gryphon flag, there's no way in hell I could afford the art to do it justice.

Poor Wandering One
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rohan wrote:
My forum-fu is weak and I do not understand AP.

Sorry, jargon. AP means active play. Basically posts detailing the plot and/or good bits of an ongoing campaign.

This is a great setting. I love the neo-spartans but who are the Kamalans?

~Will
Rohan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will, you may be in luck...I'll be running it tonight, and I'll post a play log.

Since you asked, I'll give a quick rundown of all of the groups in the inner world.

Cult of the Machine:
A very nasty cult based on finding out the true nature of the machine and rebuilding it. They view non-cult members much in the same way that the Spanish Inquisition viewed heretics, pagans, and heathens.

Brotherhood of Bones:
A very loose confederation of pirates. They are not organized, but they have rules that they do follow; no ninja-ing the treasure, no screwing over another pirate, etc. Pirate's code of honor.

Ghosts of the Darkness:
James Bond meets the Illuminati. No one even knows if the organization formally exists, but if they do, they are the most extensive spy / espionage / counter-intelligence group on the entire continent, maybe the whole of the inner world.

Orinoco:
The Orinoco are the first indian tribe. Their modern kin are known only in the Amazonian basin today, but once, they knew and explored the inner world. They are the last of the surface-dwellers who know of the ancient entrances; at least, they thought they were.

Air-Raiders:
Pirates in air-ships. 'Nuff said.

Nazis:
1930's, Thule Society Nazis. Real hardliners, and they know Hitler is going to war. They are in the inner world to find technologies that might help the cause of their country.

Styxians:
Religious puritans that believe that they are in Purgatory as described by Dante. They believe that by living their life in good and wholesome ways that when they die (i.e. depart Purgatory) they will go to Heaven if good, or go to Hell if bad. They do not believe that there is a world above.

Arinaran Cannibals:
Cannibals of the islands and some isolated coastal areas of Argonnesseum. The aggressive groups kill and eat anything that isn't them; the bored groups actively hunt and terrorize their food before killing it and eating it.

Agents of Atlantis:
These individuals are the heirs of Atlantis and Mu. The civilizations discovered that they built their cities over entrances to the inner world and they moved their cultures inside the earth while disaster ravaged their homes. When the legends say the cities sank below the waves, it was merely artistic license describing the exodus of the people into the Earth. They work to figure out the machine's purpose, much in the same was that Spartan's group does.

Kamalans:
The alchemists harken from an ancient city (that they claimed and rebuilt) called Kamala. It is buried deep within the jungles of Argonnesseum and only a handful of traders and Air-Raiders even know where it is. The potions and medicines that they produce are rumored to be but a fraction of their knowledge.

Artificer’s Guild:
This group builds many of the wondrous machines that populate the inner world, most notably the air ships. They have a penchant for figuring out how to destroy things in a spectacular Michael Bay-like fashion more than inventing, but at the same time, they control the most advanced machining center in the inner world. They have roughly the same equivalent of machinery that existed around WW II, so they can make some very precise instrumentation and equipment.

Rohan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actual Play from Friday night posted in the chat/games section:

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=250533#250533

Jeffrywith1e
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ERB-esque Reply with quote

Oswald Rabbit wrote:
This sounds a lot like Edgar Rice Burroughs's "Pellucidar" setting
...which you could also look at the DC comics WARLORD, which was Mike Grell's love letter to Edgar Rice Burroughs. Basically, its Pellucidar with more sci-fi and technology and sorcery.

Oswald Rabbit: Check out this book that just came out- The Sun Inside by David Schwartz,
Quote:
This novella by David Schwartz (the author of the novel Superpowers, which is still on my To Read shelf but about which I’ve heard good things) was a pleasant surprise that cropped up in the submissions for the World Fantasy Award. Published by the small press Rabit Transit Press, The Sun Inside is the story of a modern day war vet, wounded in Iraq, who meets a woman on a singles’ website and travels to meet her in person. When he finds himself in Edgar Rice Burroughs’s Pellucidar, things take an odd turn. Somewhat downbeat and introspective, and deservedly so given the subject matter, the novella is nonetheless packed with all sorts of thoughtful reexamination of ERB’s pulp landscape, and recommended for anyone who enjoyed the original Inner Earth tales.

d= r x t
Rohan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as a question, and I ask only because this is advancing quite nicely as a homebrew that may actually turn into something someday. Maybe.

Many of the rules that I want to use can be found in part or in whole in the Pulp Toolkits. Is it kosher to reprint them as needed? Must I site where they come from and make people get their own copy of the Pulp rules that I'm utilizing?

This is of course, pending that I make this into something worthy of Savage canon or Savage fan material for download, of course.

What's the etiquette here?

Dave.B
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Wandering One wrote:
For the love of Prince Zarkon you have to post this as an AP.
Please?

SWEEEEEEEEEET.

the Lin Carter reference didn't click the first time i skimmed this.

well worded Sir! well worded!
Very Happy

DAve

http://theosrlibrary.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Mix it up twisted time style

Some ware I have a novel outline I made 30 years ago about a world ware things go when they are lost. Time is not stable in the transit so two things could disappear from earth at the time and appear there years apart. Most of the Cultural and relic sources were from mysterious disappearances from earth. Pretty much every thing from the Frank Edwards books and “In Search Of” ended up there.

The big Villains were a cult of KKK with an army of soldiers in roman armor and Nazi style steel helmets. There was a German WW1 Tri plane and an English Zeppelin. Oposing them was a group of Knights who rode Zebra’s and lived in a fort in the jungle made from the hulk of a US Navy Cole Transport. And the knights Hunted Dinosaurs jousting them with spears.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rohan wrote:
Many of the rules that I want to use can be found in part or in whole in the Pulp Toolkits. Is it kosher to reprint them as needed? Must I site where they come from and make people get their own copy of the Pulp rules that I'm utilizing?

I'm afraid what you're suggesting is as unkosher as a ham and cheese sandwich. So stick with citing the references.
Rohan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting Duck wrote:
Rohan wrote:

I'm afraid what you're suggesting is as unkosher as a ham and cheese sandwich. So stick with citing the references.

...or quite possibly as the "BLT" sandwiches I had last night....don't dig tomatoes and lettuce really is just green water in solid form. Turned into a toast, miracle whip, and bacon sandwich.

I was pretty sure that's the way it worked, but I figured I'd ask. As a Content Director I should have known better, but what the hell, right?

I think with the way I'm working my rules for Tech it's not quite the same, so I'll take a good hard look at what I need vs. what's been done and hybridize the crap out of it...surely I'm not working on the only Pulp setting with airships and other vehicles that are out of the ordinary...

Gamer-X
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rohan wrote:

Since you asked, I'll give a quick rundown of all of the groups in the inner world.

Nice job with some of these groups. I'd love to hear how they come into play, and especially some of the historical "facts" you pull in. I dig that sort of thing too.

I'm off to read about your play session now...
Poor Wandering One
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave.B wrote:

SWEEEEEEEEEET.

the Lin Carter reference didn't click the first time i skimmed this.

well worded Sir! well worded!
Very Happy

DAve

Someone else who knows who Prince Zarkon is?! These are the best forums ever.

As far as I am concerned "Horror wears blue" was written to be savaged.
~Will
Rohan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bringing this one back with the WAY Back Machine. 100 Leagues will be written up as a Licensee Setting and I have a new campaign that I'm starting with it in a couple of weeks!

chitownroy
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty cool Kevin. I will be watching for this one.
Vinzent
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI,
A league is a measure of distance, not depth. 10,000 Leagues Under the Sea was about how far they travelled underwater, not how deep.
Rohan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinzent wrote:
Just FYI,
A league is a measure of distance, not depth. 10,000 Leagues Under the Sea was about how far they travelled underwater, not how deep.

Well then, I guess that means it's how far the journey is from the surface to the inner world....300 miles is a lot of stairs, my friend Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: