Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post 60 Reflections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Facebook Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyguest2
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Post 60 Reflections Reply with quote

I 'dinged' rank 60 so I thought it would be time to post a few thoughts. This is likely to end up rambling and poorly structured. It is also like to focus on flaws/problems with the game. I hope this will be constructive criticism intended t o help improve a game I love rather than a rant Smile I'll try and break this down into sections but knowing me I'll end up all over the place.

Attributes
Early on in the game Speed is king, without it you can't hunt or complete adventures. If you can't do those things you can't increase in levels so you can't improve your speed. You also can't get ingredients so you can't research and without levelling you can't get NPC allies.

Eventually you reach a point where you have plenty of speed and it ceases to be an issue. At that point Intellect and Courage become a major issue. Without enough Intellect you can't adventure and your Courage/Heart becomes the limiting factor in how long you can play before having to rest.

A smoother start to the game would be good. Many people have found the early stages very frustrating. Making the initial adventures easier would probably be a good idea. Also a better balance of the importance/use of attributes would be good. I'll come back to this shortly.

Gear
The gear system is fine, the only change I'd make would be to add in more varied high level gear. I haven't equipped a melee weapon in fourty levels or more. Similarly non-weapon gear, other than Intellect boosters, are curiously absent. Why no armour ? Perhaps the ripper science gadgets and the relics will fill this gap eventually ?

Allies
The allies system is great. There's very little I'd change here. A note on cash NPCs so it's obvious they don't need to be in your active party would make sense. Similarly some more text on the Recruitment page explaining how the system works. A note telling you what Social Standing you'd need to recruit someone new would be good. Not being able to re-recruit former allies is odd.

Lodge
The lodge stuff is great. It could do with tightening up a little to make sure players don't upgrade to things which don't work yet. The 10% bonus to hunting experience seems a little stingy, at 60 I'm only getting 30 experience per hunt, a bonus of a whopping 3 experience doesn't really seem worth the prestige, especialy not when compared to the 300 odd experience I get per adventure.

The prestige issue is the big one here. The lodge requires a huge expenditure in prestige and the game is very stingy in handing it out. Similar facebook games offer prestige points (thier equivalents anyway) on levelling, completion of levels of missions, etc. Rippers could certainly do that.

I'd also question the value of the -x to wound penalties to attribute upgrades. They are handy at early levels but for me now I'm looking at 41 prestige each for the first ranks of the Meditation and Ice rooms. The benefit to me would be negligible, I'm seldom wounded and the penalty is nothing compared to my attributes. I've no idea if it might be worth sacrificing the prestige to get the higher ranks of those rooms because nothing shows up for the higher ranks.

I think it would be worth taking a good look at the lodge upgrades and seeing which upgrades are useful at which levels and whether or not they are worth the cost. Perhaps there could be less progression with ranks taken as desired rather than with pre-requisites ? Perhaps some upgrades could be demolished to refund prestige so it could be spent elsewhere ?

Adventures

The adventures are fun, across the board there is a good range of world spanning adventures of different kinds. Unfortunately they are completely static and unchanging and tied level ranges. This leads to the frustration many players find with the early adventures and the total lack of variety at higher levels. I think I've only ever had one adventure available to me for probably fifteen levels or more. The obvious fix would be to make the difficulty of the adventure based on the players rank so that old adventures don't need to be phased out as players get to higher ranks. I think I'd give adventures a minumum rank so that as you play more adventures open up.

I'd also like to see adventures put together in such a way that characters with different balances of attributes could tackle them in different ways. High Intellect characters could puzzle out a way to defeat the monster or even just gain a bonus for that fight for example.

What I'd really love to see would be randomised adventures with multiple branching options so that you could play each adventure many different ways, but I appreciate how difficult that would be to implement Smile

Research

Rippertech is great. Research is, well, an odd fish. Researching the two ingredient recipes is a reasonable challenge. The three ingredient recipes is a real challenge. Four and five ingredient recipes are going to be obscenely difficult, the number of possible combinations is just too big. There needs to be some form of clue/research guidance added. It's been suggested that the research failure messages could offer clues to help guide research. That would be good. Perhaps adventure/hunt rewards could sometimes be recipes ?
It also seems odd that Intellect has no role in research. Perhaps higher intellects could get better clues ?

I have a big concern that at some point new recipes will be added in to the game. Please, please, please if you do do this do it by adding in new ingredients. We, the players, have gone to great pains to collate data on what happens when ingredients are combined, don't add in recipes which mean we'll have to retry all the old failed combinations.

Hunting

Hunting's okay. It is fast which is good, but it seems 'sort of' random which is bad. I say 'sort of' because obviously players have no control over what they hunt, but what you hunt does seem tied to your level. There's nothing wrong with that but the loot from each hunt is tied to what was hunted. Any given creature will typically drop the same ingredient for example. That makes hunting for specific ingredients impossible. I've been looking for a skeletal strength ingredient for about five levels !

I'd suggest the following. The hunt screen first asks "Where would you like to hunt ?". You get to pick from options like 'The forest', 'The graveyard', 'The city slums', 'An isolated village', etc. Each location would tend to lead to certain types of creatures - the graveyard might typically lead to zombies, skeletons, etc. I'd still give a random chance that anything could be there. Again, like the adventures' I'd have the difficulty based on the rank of the ripper, so high rank rippers face tough skeletons while low rank ones face weaker skeletons. This would allow for rippers going out hunting for ingredients a bit less randomly. I, for example, could concentrate on the graveyard, increasing my chances of finding a creature which might drop a skeletal strength ingredient.

Conclusion

Phew, well I did warn you it would be long and rambling Smile

I do love the game, I'd likely keep playing it even if there were no further changes to the game, though the lack of adventure variety might end up driving me away. The game has huge potential, I'd like to help it live up to it ![/u]
andyguest2
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replying to myself is bad form I'm sure but I just had a thought.

Wound Penalties

I'd recommend dropping wound penalties completely. They really don't add much to the game at all.

At low levels the wound penalties are crippling, they stop you playing until the two hour recovery period is over. At high levels the penalty isn't even noticible, -2 to speed is doesn't even offset one item of gear. Low level characters have to wait until the penalty has expired, high level ones can just ignore it.

The effect is downtime before play restarts, low rank players are more harshly punished. Dropping to zero health (or heart) has the same effect.

I offer two alternatives - first just drop the penalties and let the health/courage regen period determine the downtime. Players willing to risk play on low health/courage can do so, they'll play more often but for shorter periods. Those who wait for full health will play less often but for longer periods.

The second alternative would be to drop wound penalties and replace them with being driven into negative health/heart. Take -20 as an example. Lose a fight and instead of taking -2 to all abilities for two hours and zero health you are instead reduced to -20 health. It'll take some time to get back to positive health then you can play at low health or wait till full health as above. This alternative would bring in a little more tactical play. You are at low health, do you risk fighting and being driven to -20 health or do you wait ten minutes for less risk ?
Epharian
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these are all great suggestions. High-level content is a big issue for most games, and I hope to see this improved.

I am currently level 42 and have ONE adventure available. There is a second adventure sort of available, labeled as 'volume 1000', but it's blank, and immediately ends with 0xp.
andyguest2
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant to include this bit too

Ultimate Fantasy Addition

This is really wacky and out there and I've no idea how or even if it could be made to work.

Group Lodges ! Allow a group of players to sign up together to form a lodge between them. As well as lowering the costs for lodges in both prestige and upkeep it could provide a shared storage area. You could gain an extra bonus for having members of your lodge as allies in your party. You could even have a little message board/thread for in character communication.

Oooh, another thought !

Ultimate Fantasy Addition 2

Cabal ! A mirror game that allows us to play vampires, mummies, evil/mad scientists and take on the Rippers. Instead of foilding the cabal's plots we get to try to make them work Smile. Could allow a bit of pvp the way other facebook games do. Come to think of it, this might not be that much of a fantasy, apart from the pvp aspect the code is already there, it's just a matter of getting all the fluff together.

[yeah 'just' is a big just, but I cna dream Smile]
Epharian
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyguest2 wrote:
Meant to include this bit too

Ultimate Fantasy Addition

This is really wacky and out there and I've no idea how or even if it could be made to work.

Group Lodges ! Allow a group of players to sign up together to form a lodge between them. As well as lowering the costs for lodges in both prestige and upkeep it could provide a shared storage area. You could gain an extra bonus for having members of your lodge as allies in your party. You could even have a little message board/thread for in character communication.

Oooh, another thought !

Ultimate Fantasy Addition 2

Cabal ! A mirror game that allows us to play vampires, mummies, evil/mad scientists and take on the Rippers. Instead of foilding the cabal's plots we get to try to make them work Smile. Could allow a bit of pvp the way other facebook games do. Come to think of it, this might not be that much of a fantasy, apart from the pvp aspect the code is already there, it's just a matter of getting all the fluff together.

[yeah 'just' is a big just, but I cna dream Smile]

I'll vote 'please' on both of these as well....

although the group lodges may well end up being separate in some respects...but I like some form of group lodges. I suspect that they would have a maximum membership X, which could potentially be increased through prestige, and that X+1 would cost Y+X*N prestige, for any given number of additional members... or something like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Facebook Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: