Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Huckster in HoE with Eternal Hero

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Huckster in HoE with Eternal Hero Reply with quote

So I'm playing a Huckster in Hell on Earth. I took Vet o the Wasted West and drew the red joker. For those that don't know what it does, that doesn't matter so much as the part about the player getting flashes of his past life. My Marshal (who knows so very little about Hucksters) suggest I was Hoyle in the last life, but I don't think he fits and was looking for some oppression or suggestions.

His history: He's back ground is kinda lame and generic. He was one of the best circuit poker players (hitting some of the TV shows). One day this old man sits down at a table and starts winning every hand. Now Rex, my character, has lost hands, and even a game or two, but never every hand. He chats up the old man but he refuses to talk much. Be it chance or fate, but a few days latter Rex sees the old man at another game and sits down to get beat again. So Rex makes his mission to figure out if the old man is cheating, or really that good. Time goes on and he stocks the old man playing against him, or just watching him play. This goes on for three months until the old man finally leaves the table one day leaving behind a really old copy of Hoyles book of games. Rex takes the book and pours through it looking for the secrete this old man has figured out that makes him so good. Long story short he's obsession leads to him finding the clues and learning hexes.

Personality: Rex is a braggart, skirt chasing, chance taker with a soft spot. He's the reluctant hero with a pension for dramatics and loves the spot light as much as he love winning. He's more likely to try and talk his way out of trouble, but his isn't bad (nor really that good) with a gun should the need arise. I took the Edge "The Voice" (soothin') and the Hindrances Heroic, Randy and minor Hankerin' (1) for booze.

So who do you see as a possiblity as one of his past lives.

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
shadd4d
Legendary

Location: Charlottesville, VA...I miss Deutschland and Chicago.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bret Maverick as played by Mel Gibson.

Don

"But there is a difference between fear and horror. An important difference.
Fear is when you worry about what might be.
Horror is when you are certain." Dannyboy01
Poor Wandering One
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were my game I would have you channeling someone from Bayou Vermillion back in the Wierd West. This someone, a voodun/huxter knew they were going to die soon. And their post-death prospectus did not look too golden. So they cheat. Enter you. The first person in that someones family line to be active in the occult. They are trying to move in and take over. Think a very family oriented manitu.

Hoyle could work. There are enough hooks in his story to hang a few modern hucksters on. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
~Will
Chezzo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the great poker players who founded the WSoP. Johnny Moss, Amarillo Slim, Doyle Brunson.

They all grew up in Texas going from town to town playing poker games, getting robbed and running from the law.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Edivdrone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a family background for your character already? If you don't, you could have the character be an offshoot of the Whateley family whose 'blood' is too thin to gain the benefits of being a member of that family. The past life could be a member of that family, perhaps one of the malevolent ones, or a 'white sheep' that broke off from the flock.
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love when my players leave me large holes to fill in in their backgrounds, and I know my Marshal does too, so Rex's family background if vague. He's a Bastard (quite literally most times), his mother wasn't that picky with the men in her life so if she knew who Rex's father was she never told him, and he learned early on not to ask (too often). So while her family line is fillable, I left the father part open to the Marshal. As well the old man and why he left the book (an accident and he's looking for it, did he see something in Rex, was it his father, etc.?)

I like most of the suggestions, there are some interesting characters there. While I liked the Marshal's suggestion, Hoyle didn't fit to me. Sure he would have been the reason Rex is an Arcane Prodigy, but Hoyle was a seeker of truths, and this character is so not right?

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: