Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uses of the Telekinesis Power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tinhorn Huckster
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Uses of the Telekinesis Power Reply with quote

Suppose a character wants to pick up a sleeping guard's key from his belt without waking the guard. Normally, I'd call for a Stealth roll - but what if said character is using the Telekinesis Power? Should I ask for a Stealth roll anyway, or for a Spellcasting roll?
Related to the question above: can a character pick a lock at a distance with the Telekinesis Power - either directly manipulating the lock, or by manipulating a lockpicking tool? If so, should I call for a Lockpicking roll, or for a Spellcasting roll?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Uses of the Telekinesis Power Reply with quote

Tinhorn Huckster wrote:
Suppose a character wants to pick up a sleeping guard's key from his belt without waking the guard. Normally, I'd call for a Stealth roll - but what if said character is using the Telekinesis Power? Should I ask for a Stealth roll anyway, or for a Spellcasting roll?

Like any specific situational case, that's something the GM would have to rule on at the time. They'd certainly use their Arcane skill to use the power as normal (same as it substituting for Fighting if using a weapon), but for me, I'd just give the guard a Notice roll to see if he wakes up possibly offering a -2 modifier to the roll if the character gets a raise on his Telekinesis roll.

Tinhorn Huckster wrote:
Related to the question above: can a character pick a lock at a distance with the Telekinesis Power - either directly manipulating the lock, or by manipulating a lockpicking tool? If so, should I call for a Lockpicking roll, or for a Spellcasting roll?

Doubtful. Telekinesis affects only a single object. It could move a door, but not just a lock that is part of the door, or if a padlock, it could move the entire lock, but not independent parts of it (same way it can move a person around, but not squeeze internal organs or the like).

Using it to manipulate a lockpicking tool would be tricky as well since it would require only doing so with only a single tool, where as it typically requires at least two tools to do that job. If allowed, again, it's a situational case, but I would definitely say that the character is limited by their own Lockpicking skill and ability (Arcane skill cannot substitute for that). Probably saying to roll the lower of the two as the character is limtied by their ability with both.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: